• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Non-audio-products sites which are measurement based ("scientific based")

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously you're looking at one of Caroll Shelby's AC Cobras. Of course you'll want two: a 289 w/four 2bbl Webers for those 'lean 'n mean' drives; and a 427 with dual quad Holley's when you need that little extra something to push you over the cliff! :)

Nope - too heavy.

I am hoping Gordon Murray will make me a nice light sports car out of carbon fiber...

Until then, I make do with an old Porsche 911 that has been lightened by about 300 b.s and hot-rodded with double the hp when new.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Csaba Csere. You don't even want to know how it is pronounced!

I do...

Csaba Csere

US: /ˈtʃʌbə ˈtʃɛdə/

What?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I've had universally bad results from the Kenji Lopez-Alt crew. No idea why they're so popular.

He did pizza two days ago, it must thrill you

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Csaba Csere. You don't even want to know how it is pronounced! o_O But those were the glory days of the magazine. I actually held a personal moment of silence when I learned that Yates had beamed up. John Phillips was the last of the wild bunch, and I understand he was 'let go' a few months back.
I get a chubby thinkin bout it.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'd like to interject for a moment: trustworthy computer hardware benchmarks can't be found on Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, etc... for the simple reason that by using proprietary benchmarks on proprietary operating systems compiled with proprietary compilers, you have some obvious biases. See
https://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49#49
https://www.semiaccurate.com/2019/12/10/intels-benchmarking-antics-questioned/
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2008/07/atom-nano-review/6/
or most recently
https://hothardware.com/news/antutu...ally-broken-heavily-favors-intel-architecture
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7384/state-of-cheating-in-android-benchmarks

Basically, if you want to benchmark hardware, use libre software like x264/x265 compiled with gcc/clang and with your system's math library on GNU/Linux; using compiler themselves as benchmark is also a good idea, as they show the overhead of Intel's security shenanigans on system calls. Phoronix does such benchmarks, so I recommend it for these cases.

Last edited:

Bamboszek

Basically, if you want to benchmark hardware, use libre software like x264/x265 compiled with gcc/clang and with your system's math library on GNU/Linux; using compiler themselves as benchmark is also a good idea, as they show the overhead of Intel's security shenanigans on system calls.
Aren't we interested in performance in real-world applications? I get the point about true hardware capabilities. But after all we still use proprietary software like games, Photoshop or various CADs which couldn't be compiled by ourselves. IMO benchmarks per se aren't really interesting at all. I just usually check performance in real-world apps I use. However there is another issue. Choosing right settings and testing place could be troublesome. About like 5 years ago nVidia GPUs handled tessellation much better than AMD. nVidia abused that by paying game producers to use GameWorks. Excessive tessellation usage was huge performance hit for AMD users but improvement in graphic quality wasn't visible.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Aren't we interested in performance in real-world applications? I get the point about true hardware capabilities. But after all we still use proprietary software like games, Photoshop or various CADs which couldn't be compiled by ourselves. IMO benchmarks per se aren't really interesting at all. I just usually check performance in real-world apps I use. However there is another issue. Choosing right settings and testing place could be troublesome. About like 5 years ago nVidia GPUs handled tessellation much better than AMD. nVidia abused that by paying game producers to use GameWorks. Excessive tessellation usage was huge performance hit for AMD users but improvement in graphic quality wasn't visible.
I did use bold for something. Because if you only use "normal usecase" benchmarks you don't really know what you pay for; and on the other hand, you can detect such collusions.
If you only want better Photoshop performances, well, yeah, measuring actual Photoshop performance is the way to go. Personally, I want the better product (and don't use proprietary software beyond mandatory firmware like CPU microcode and BIOS).

PS: notice that I mentioned x264, x265, gcc and clang, all applications used a lot not only for benchmarking.

DChenery

Forum Donor
And of course you spent 3hr. cooking something you used to do in 30min. :) (All in fun please)
Late to the thread here. Got the Mrs. the complete cookbook for Xmas. Were hitting about 500 on the recipies, but the ones that work REALLY work.

1588675544679.png

But, this is not a beginners book!!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope - too heavy.
I was, of course, joking. Unless you have a multiple seven figure checking account. And are able to stand in line at auction. On the other hand, for 'affordable' fun, there's always the Arial Atom or Caterham 7. If I was looking for fast and light, those would be on my short list.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do... Csaba Csere US: /ˈtʃʌbə ˈtʃɛdə/ What?

I've never known a Csaba, but understand his name's pronounced phonetically as "Chubba Chedda'. Hungarian.

But back to the magazine--C/D started to tank editorially under the management of Ed Altman. But at least he was able to keep the writing stable. His hiring of Ezra Dyer was less than interesting--must have been a 'friend' thing. When the new editor-in-chief came aboard, I'm talking the girl without any car experience, I mostly lost interest. Maybe they'll turn it around. I see some 'new' names on the masthead, so I guess it could happen.

I had been a subscriber more on than off since the mid '60s, long before I ever owned a car. I might even subscribe again for five dollars a year... but only if they included a free baseball cap with the paid sub. Or maybe I'll wait until the lockdown is over, and just read back issues at the dentist office. I think the only thing keeping it alive are WeatherTec and Tire Rack ads.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thin any turn around will be based on what the 'kids' want in a car magazine these days... phones

Top Bottom