• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

TheInquiring

Dear experts,:)
Could somebody please measure and report what the output impedance (balanced/single-ended) of D90 is?:facepalm:
I have already asked this question (very sorry for the duplication!) in WolfX-700's thread, but no responses so far...:confused:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could somebody please measure and report what the output impedance (balanced/single-ended) of D90 is?:facepalm:
I have already asked this question (very sorry for the duplication!) in WolfX-700's thread, but no responses so far...:confused:
Have you tried asking the manufacturer directly and posting back here? Maybe @JohnYang1997 could help.

Sean_S

Also, what are acceptable (and optimal) input voltages on XLR? I have a Benchmark DAC3 which outputs a maximum of either 27.5dBu, 17.5dBu or 7.5dBu. I use the the 17.5dBu setting with the Drop 789.

TheInquiring

Thank you very kindly!:)
My power amp input impedance is about 30 kOhm, and, I believe, I should be O.K. using D90 direct.

axismundi

My unit d90 xlr out died. I must use now the rca out. How big is a difference between the two? How to setup the 100 % volume.

Was this issue fixed / was it due to XLR being disabled in the menu as suggested?

Rover

The result is very interesting.Everything was corrected after the tips of forum users!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious how they fixed the MQA/driver issues with the XU216 that have been exhibited in other devices that have used that USB card (Gustard and SMSL for example).

Mine is perfect (non MQA D90), yet some folks on other forums have complained quite a bit about poor USB implementation.

It would be great of Topping could confirm what batches had USB issues (per Wolf pre release review) and updated the firmware.

Id rather dual chip, an extra balanced output over an unnecessary $100 up charge for MQA, which will be a dead standard in a few years.
Agreed. I think in a few years MQA support will be gone from most devices rather than ever become a standard. Outside of Tidal, MQA has almost no market penetration. Tidal itself has very small market penetration. Why would hardware manufacturers go through the expense of testing and licensing a format that nobody is using?

sq225917

Major Contributor
Extra chip is extra psu rails and everything else, unlikely to a 100 buck uptick

da Choge

Forum Donor
unlikely to a 100 buck uptick
Unless I'm mistaken, there are licensing fees to deal with also (I would think that's the great majority of the uptick and Topping, unlike some other manufacturers, kept that extra charge down at least somewhat). Don't get me wrong - I'm no great fan of MQA, not even sure if I will use it much (although I do have a subscription to Tidal). But I wanted the ability to use it if and when I chose. ... However, if I'm really honest, I just wanted the latest with all the bells and whistles -- After all, isn't narcissism in style these days? :oops:;)

Last edited:

da Choge

Forum Donor
BUT, my real question is: How many of you owners have gone to www.tpdz.net to download the drivers and Owner's Manual? Every time I go there, Malwarebytes blocks the downloads because of a potential Trojan. I know I can disable Malwarebytes (or allow the download), but I'm afraid I might allow some intrusive malware into my PC. Anybody else had issues with this? Tpdz.net is an insecure website (http:// as opposed to https://) which might be part of the issue. Is there another site from which you can acquire the manual and necessary drivers? Not an owner yet, but I've ordered the D90 MQA and it should arrive in a couple of weeks or so.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Topping web site is quite safe. You will, no doubt, scan anything you download anyway. I have Malwarebytes real-time scanning and it doesn't object to anything there.

spacebar

Forum Donor
I didn’t either. Ran a scan on an online service. Why download a zip for a manual?! Got the warning as well. Just laziness to not provide a pdf or use https. If you want to be professional you should use https is my personal opinion. It’s free :)

da Choge

Forum Donor
The Topping web site is quite safe
THANKS !!! Might be the way I have things setup on my PC -- I'll give 'er a shot.
Why download a zip for a manual?!
Didn't notice that - Now, I'm sure the download is OK, but I do agree, why a zip? Topping's manuals are more like pamphlets. These days, you'd expect most commercial/professional sites to be https://; still you see some big manufacturers that haven't updated their sites.

Last edited:

Rigel

Hi da Choge.

Malwarebytes message also appears to me, I was a little surprised but I continued and the file itself, has not tested positive for anything.

It can also be added to exclusions in settings.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Hi da Choge.

Malwarebytes message also appears to me, I was a little surprised but I continued and the file itself, has not tested positive for anything.

It can also be added to exclusions in settings.
All my virusscanners think it is ok (Eset, Bitdefender, Windows Defender, Hitman pro). Must be a false positive in Malwarebytes

Top Bottom