• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FLORIDA AUDIO EXPO FEB 7-9th 2020

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I call "listening in the near field" ;)

It can get close sometimes! I can adjust the sofa position/speakers such that I can vary the distance from between just under 8 feet to 6 feet from the listening position. Usually it's around 7 1/2 feet or so. I like a wide speaker spread for a large soundstage and more immersion (without sacrificing image precision). Especially with speakers like the Josephs (and the Thiels) a wide spread like that just makes the room behind them "melt away" when playing music. I enjoy that transported vibe.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Does he own any other clothes than those pairs of shorts??? :D That is all I ever seen him wear at these shows.....
You need to get into a Florida state of mind Yankee
Isn't it time to go shovel your snow now?
weather.png

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 49687

I’ve lived in shorts and sandals for the 10 years I’ve been in southwest Florida. I put on a zippered hoodie if it gets “chilly.” The only time I wear pants is when I’m required to travel for business.

Martin

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Those little USB powered IKEA LED lights are awesome for turntables or in my case, in my computer and power distribution cupboard under my bench.

1581493782077.png

No home should be without several. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thanks guys for bringing just a bit of this show to us blokes down-under. :)

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Going to finally wrap my report up tonight with some stuff I found interesting.
When I walked into the room with Von Schweikert Audio speakers they were playing an LP that shocked me it sounded so bad. Not the system but the LP itself, there was so much surface noise and rice krispies going on I couldn't believe they would use this pressing for a demoz? Later with other material the system acquitted itself with some first rate sound top to bottom.
Look at those cables!
IMG_2408.JPG

For you vinyl guys I did some close listening to the noise reduction products from a company called SweetVinyl. I was quite amazed at the ability of the SugerCube boxes to remove clicks and pops without doing any damage to the sound quality that I could detect. Using some badly damaged and worn LPs I listened to quite a number of instant A/B switching and we seemed to jump from the sound of a 1960s jukebox record to a near pristine digital recording. A "must have" for any vinylphile IMHO. :)
IMG_2528.JPG

I very much enjoyed my time in both the Muraudio room. Their electrostats being everything they should be, fast and detailed.
IMG_2511.JPG

Another speaker that caught my ear was the Wharfedale Linton. Though quite a bit different in charactor then the Mura's, I found them very smooth, warm, and easy to listen to.
IMG_2574.JPG

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Going to finally wrap my report up tonight with some stuff I found interesting.
When I walked into the room with Von Schweikert Audio speakers they were playing an LP that shocked me it sounded so bad. Not the system but the LP itself, there was so much surface noise and rice krispies going on I couldn't believe they would use this pressing for a demoz? Later with other material the system acquitted itself with some first rate sound top to bottom.
Look at those cables!
View attachment 49967

For you vinyl guys I did some close listening to the noise reduction products from a company called SweetVinyl. I was quite amazed at the ability of the boxes to remove clicks and pops without doing any damage to the sound quality that I could detect. Using some badly damaged and worn LPs I listened to quite a number of instant A/B switching and we seemed to jump from the sound of a 1960s jukebox record to a near pristine digital recording. A "must have" for any vinylphile IMHO. :)
View attachment 49970

I very much enjoyed my time in both the Muraudio room. Their electrostats being everything they should be, fast and detailed.
View attachment 49971

Another speaker that caught my ear was the Wharfedale Linton. Though quite a bit different in charactor then the Mura's, I found them very smooth, warm, and easy to listen to.
View attachment 49974

Thanks Sal for your updates and opinions. I really love the look of the Lintons and their matching stands. They are what HiFi is supposed to look like to me. And those Maraudios look very interesting and unique. :)

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I gave a short listening session to the tiny speakers in the Wynn Audio room. The rep told me they were very big in Japan and were just now trying to break into the US market. He also told me he placed great importance in the Entreq Olympus grounding boxes.
I wouldn't invest in any stock. :(
IMG_2555.JPG

I was disappointed in Benchmarks silent (except for headphones) room but it was very enlightening to actually see there component in person. Their diminutive size doesn't come thru in photos as they do in person. Amazing where modern technology has taken us.

Also as I noted earlier, I was disappointed that JBL was MIA. But I did listen to an option for my personal quest for a speaker upgrade.
Later in the day the folks from Legacy Audio did bring in from the other room their stand mount Studio HD passive speakers. With a folded pleated ribbon tweeter and a 8" woofer they make for a healthy sized standmound. They also do very handsome woodwork. At $1800 a pair they are priced near identically to the JBL HDI 1600's I've been looking at. Bill promised a 30 day in-home listening demo with only the cost of return shipping. Hummm.
IMG_2609.JPG

That's about it except I thought some of our members might like to see the inside of a Synergistic Research Power Cell
What is it about Carbon Fiber that brings out the GOODIE in hifi? ROTFLMAO
IMG_2637.JPG

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm anti-cable. I need a battery version.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey, I used to live in Florida. But I would not wear the same pair of shorts to every event. Hygiene alone would call for buying at least a second pair. :D

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
He might be eccentric and own 20 pairs the same color?

Wombat

Master Contributor

cjfrbw

Hey, I used to live in Florida. But I would not wear the same pair of shorts to every event. Hygiene alone would call for buying at least a second pair. :D
Maybe it makes for good mosquito repellant.

Top Bottom