• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Eon Series

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm halfway considering doing something fairly nutty.

Getting a pair of JBL Eon speakers for my living room.

eon610_hero_nogrill_r.jpg

eon612_hero_nogrill_r.jpg

eon615_hero_nogrill_r.jpg

Why would I even consider such a thing?

-Wave guide horn
-Woofer wave guide (on 2 models)
-Built-in PEQ adjustable over Bluetooth via an app
-DSP crossovers, Class D amps
-Balls-out dynamics
-Max SPL >120 dB for all models
-Cheap: $399 - $499 each, which puts it in the "WTF why not try it?" range

Stupid, insane, and doomed to sound horrible?

Or intriguing for the possibilities?

fas42

Major Contributor
I would do it ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm halfway considering doing something fairly nutty.

Getting a pair of JBL Eon speakers for my living room.

eon610_hero_nogrill_r.jpg

eon612_hero_nogrill_r.jpg

eon615_hero_nogrill_r.jpg

Why would I even consider such a thing?

-Wave guide horn
-Woofer wave guide (on 2 models)
-Built-in PEQ adjustable over Bluetooth via an app
-DSP crossovers, Class D amps
-Balls-out dynamics
-Max SPL >120 dB for all models
-Cheap: $399 - $499 each, which puts it in the "WTF why not try it?" range

Stupid, insane, and doomed to sound horrible?

Or intriguing for the possibilities?
Great plan.. I want a pair too.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You're already used to a variation in speakers, so these will be another variation.

Which model?

610, 612, or 615?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You're already used to a variation in speakers, so these will be another variation.

Which model?

610, 612, or 615?

Tough call.

Looks-wise, the 610 reminds me the most of 'classic' blue faced JBL studio monitors. But the -3 db point is 60 hz.

The 615 has the deepest bass, -3 dB at 50 Hz, seems to have the most sophisticated wave guide.

As for dispersion, not sure what to think...the 610 is 110 deg horizontal, the 615 is 90 deg horizontal.

I guess narrower is better for home?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I guess narrower is better for home?

That seems to be a subject for debate.

---

My guess, based on my limited experience with the '308 vs now 19 years with the reQuests, would be that they will be able to go silly loud for home use, have a room-dominated measured frequency response but have knobs to twist and turn to adjust that, and (in my case) give an artificial stereo that doesn't quite pass close inspection from the sweetspot, but will sound fine over a wide area.

If you're under-powered now you won't be then, and that will be a noticeable difference.

Having a little experience with a PA, you'll be able to fill a small club or entertain 50 people outdoors with them. That's what they're made for.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That seems to be a subject for debate.

---

My guess, based on my limited experience with the '308 vs now 19 years with the reQuests, would be that they will be able to go silly loud for home use, have a room-dominated measured frequency response but have knobs to twist and turn to adjust that, and (in my case) give an artificial stereo that doesn't quite pass close inspection from the sweetspot, but will sound fine over a wide area.

If you're under-powered now you won't be then, and that will be a noticeable difference.

Having a little experience with a PA, you'll be able to fill a small club or entertain 50 people outdoors with them. That's what they're made for.

Yeah, I do live sound engineering, so I'm familiar.

With the 615 and their 90 deg spread, I was thinking I could stick them in the room corners like Klipschorns. ;):cool::p

fas42

Major Contributor
IME, the smaller cabinets give tighter sound - but bass waveguide in the 12" looks interesting, and has more weight - wouldn't get the biggest, I would try to get some feedback on difference in sound between 10 and 12".

fas42

Major Contributor
Tried to find some videos of these things working - in ones that I found where they stop talking about them they are appallingly bad; why do "professionals" always try and make these things sound like bad transistor radios ... ?

fas42

Major Contributor
Would you call any of these small? Even the 610 is 322mm / 12.7 inches wide. Plus the cabinets seem to be ABS and metal.
No, none are small, but I would think the 10" myself - I found a video of the 15" working, which, ummmm ....

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
and (in my case) give an artificial stereo that doesn't quite pass close inspection from the sweetspot, but will sound fine over a wide area.

FWIW, I no longer care about pinpoint stereo imaging like I used to.

After several years of experience mixing 6-tracks down to 2, and even using simple 2 track only stereo cardioid mics, I've come to realize what an artiface stereo is and that lives music events don't sound like or have ghost-like imaging like stereo recordings.

Top Bottom