• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Todesengel

I have an AURALiC Vega G2 and LeoGX combo that I am interested in measuring. Currently off at the factory for a check up (it was having issues running in WASAPI Exclusive/ASIO mode) but I would be willing to send them to @amirm for testing when I get them back in January.

The problem is they are heavy (20 lb/ea) and when properly insured for shipment it will run ~$300 one way (I live in NY).

-Tony

Konstantin Sibold

Came close to getting one to review but did not work out.
The implementation of the chip seems technically to be superior to the RME ADI-2 which achieved great results in your measurements.

Maybe I should get myself a Matrix Sabre Pro and just relax for the next decade :)

Thank you @amirm for your efforts with this forum. It has been extremely informative.

Kane1972

I'd like to ask a question. What is the consensus around these parts of when people can hear a difference between 2 DAC's (when level matched)? I For instance, Using the RME ADI-2 as the benchmark, in Amir's chart, which DAC would you have to drop to measurement wise to hear a difference?

The reason I ask is that over at Gearslutz, a few seasoned recording engineers say they definitely can hear differences in converters. Now, it's possible they can hear differences because one is vastly superior to the other, or that one is adding distortion they like and the other isn't or if the comparisons have been of DAC's that both measure well enough that you would say no difference would be discernable, then maybe it's placebo or they have not level matched etc.

When I tell them about the challenges I have seen here and elsewhere, that says "$10,000 to charity if that can be done under controlled conditions etc etc.." some are interested in taking the challenge, but their main concern is that they are positive they can tell the difference in their own studio, on monitors they know show those differences etc, but they worry that if they were to visit Amir (or someone else) to try a blind test that the conditions may simply not allow them to hear those differences or even that the test may be skewed/biased in favour of the ASR position that no difference will be heard, either intentionally or subconsciously.

Also, maybe their methods to listen for differences may not meet your criteria? For instance, they may want to play a snare sample. paying attention to transient response and the decay of the reverb (these are just things off the top of my head and may not be at all what they'd want to do), but maybe this would not work for your test? In other words, simply playing back a track and switching between 2 DAC's may not be what they mean when they say they can hear the difference, but it becomes apparent when working with DAC's? Soloing strings may be where they can hear traits of one to another? Again, I'm just guessing.

Anyway, I am trying to act as a middle man to try to get one or two of them to come take the challenge, as I think it would be useful and interesting to people in both camps. I keep suggesting that they contact Amir to discuss how the test could be done that would satisfy both parties etc, but I think they are just concerned ASR's aim would be to prove them wrong rather than simply find the truth as science should, thus making the test parameters too limited?

If anyone can convince them it would be a friendly, in good faith experiment and are willing to come up with a test that would satisfy both parties then there may be some takers.

In the meantime, I'll try to find out which DAC's or interfaces they say they clearly heard differences and maybe they could provide Amir with them to measure so he can say "well of course he could hear a difference, one is total crap" or "there is no way anyone could hear a difference with these two DAC's".

@amirm

Kane1972

Try to get DAC's from Lavry, Burl, Prism, Weiss, Millenia, etc. Also get the ADC's from those companies.

It's not a case of getting any DAC's I don't think, it's a case of getting the DAC's someone says they definitely can hear a difference between. These may very well include such DAC's though, as they are some of the big names in studio use.

Kane1972

Where is Amir based? Maybe some of these guys live close enough to make it easier? Maybe he could take his gear to their studio to run the tests?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have an AURALiC Vega G2 and LeoGX combo that I am interested in measuring. Currently off at the factory for a check up (it was having issues running in WASAPI Exclusive/ASIO mode) but I would be willing to send them to @amirm for testing when I get them back in January.

The problem is they are heavy (20 lb/ea) and when properly insured for shipment it will run ~$300 one way (I live in NY).

-Tony
That is way higher than I pay. Can you arrange for the factory to send it to me first? That way it won't cost you and I can cover the return shipping to you. Please start a conversation with me if you are willing.

Kane1972

So, if I can get some of these recording engineers to agree to a bind test of a few DAC's, would they be able to have the tests run in their own studio's?

elberoth

Please measure your old Levinson 360 DAC when you have the time. It would be interesting to see how it fares compared to the current $400 DACs.

Esp. if you consider the fact that the Levinson 360s still sells for like $2-3k used.

sophie smith

It would be nice to measure some of the Monoprice Monolith products, such as their 4499 chip Cavalli DAC, as well as their power amps (ATI made I think) and processors, which they say are USA made and will have Dirac capability.

alanllew

These are all DJ mixers that can be used with laptops and software to mix digital music.

E.g:

sc_b009lufan2-01angle_lg.jpg
Seconded

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please measure your old Levinson 360 DAC when you have the time. It would be interesting to see how it fares compared to the current $400 DACs.

Esp. if you consider the fact that the Levinson 360s still sells for like $2-3k used.
I might want to sell it then before measuring it. :D

Top Bottom