• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A warning. There is a new web article going aroud that is a crock of schmidt.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
My spidersense tells me SheilaHears is talking about RF from wireless devices and stray magnetic fields from transformers that are affecting the human body/brain in a negative way.

That is interesting as I had a collegue who said he could sense such and remarkably came up with a working modification for a Technics cassette deck (back in the days) that recorded 'ticks' on tapes in playback mode. Turned out the wind motor did build up static charge that at some voltage discharged and due to plastic and metal parts in the mechanism created a current in the magnetic head and recording the 'tick' on tape.
The solution was to spray the plastic part on the motor with graphite spray.

Later he complained that he could sense when the measuring transmitter was on (and it was adjacent to his workplace).
I decided to test that and randomly switched the transmitter on and off for a few days in a row.
When confronted later he said he had noticed. So a second test was done to see if he really could by logging it.
And just like with subjective listening ... of course absolutely no correlation.

2 years ago, when doing EMC testing (has to be done externally) I spoke to the engineer about test that were done in their anechoic room (for RF, not audio) with a bunch of folks that claimed GSM affected their health and they could tell if transmitters were on and off.
This testing was performed with a bunch of folks making the claims where RF (various bands and levels) were transmitted or not.
Also with logging.
Here too.... absolutely no correlation whatsoever and the claim they wanted to make ultimately wasn't made because of this test.

So... very likely that some people experience positive effects from being in nature... I don't believe for a minute this has anything to do with electronics but rather other aspects....
Reminds me of Chuck McGill in 'Better Call Saul'. ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Well the only signal that is supposed to be heard is the audio signal which is inherently pseudo-random. Even the suppressed noise is not truly random because the circuit is based on logic which causes a level of order to the noise that is not present in nature.

Yikes...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Well the only signal that is supposed to be heard is the audio signal which is inherently pseudo-random. Even the suppressed noise is not truly random because the circuit is based on logic which causes a level of order to the noise that is not present in nature.

What suppressed noise in what logic circuit? I was talking about circuit noise that does not depend upon any logic circuits at all. Audio signals can be purely random (noise) or perfectly correlated (sine waves, square waves, and all that jazz). I do not think we are speaking the same language, and certainly not from any sort of common basis in electronics or music. I'll leave you to it...

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Is this a vague way of saying that humans can hear the ones and zeros in digital music?

You are not the first person to claim that, and every time it points to a complete lack of knowledge of how a digital-to-analog conversion takes place. A bad DA conversion gives error which gives noise, NOT audible ones and zeros. It's doesn't even make sence trying to explain how ones and zeros would manifest themselves in the analog waveform.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Some of the more experimental jazz can be a bit too noise-like for my taste.

There is a great article, now a number of years old, about a piece of new atonal 20th-century music played by an orchestra (I knew one or two of the trumpets in the orchestra at the time). They rehearsed for a few days then the composer flew in Saturday to rehearse for the evening performance. Before he arrived, the trumpets couldn't figure out if it was for trumpet in Bb or C, and after trying it both ways they all decided Bb was best (I think, been a while). The composer congratulated the orchestra after the performance and -- you guessed it -- the trumpets (and sometimes horns) were in the wrong key and nobody (including the composer) noticed.

Robin L

Master Contributor
. . . Did you know that the entire act of creating music is usually not so random? It does exist, but we call it noise.
Some call it "Free Jazz".

BostonJack

Editor
Princess Bride movie reference? :)
Is this a vague way of saying that humans can hear the ones and zeros in digital music?

You are not the first person to claim that, and every time it points to a complete lack of knowledge of how a digital-to-analog conversion takes place. A bad DA conversion gives error which gives noise, NOT audible ones and zeros. It's doesn't even make sence trying to explain how ones and zeros would manifest themselves in the analog waveform.

Jeez. The original author really doesn't know much. Audio noise in electronic circuits can be Johnson noise, which is thermal noise from the electrons and varies with Temp and circuit impedance (and can be shaped by whatever filter effects are in the channel) and is universal and irreducible. Some audio noise appears as "shot" noise in systems where the discrete nature of electron charge is detectable. Shot noise has statistical qualities that differ from the thermal or Johnson noise.

Pseudorandom noise is a bit of a conundrum, as pseudorandom is a type of random number generation that uses digital computation and is detectable as such by very sophisticated randomness analysis techniques. Depending upon the application, pseudorandom generators may be periodically seeded from true random sources like turbulence or nuclear decay and a "not really true" but "not fully pseudorandom" sequence results. Cryptography is one area where true randomness or mitigation of some of pseudorandomness' qualities is critical.

This guy is blowing smoke (which is a good example of something shaped by truly random processes).

Computer people often think they understand everything and neuroscience people often believe the same and PhD's are sometimes blind once they stray outside their fields. This guy seems to embody all three effects in one person. Bravo!

SheilaHears

Too deep and subtle for this forum to understand without some members resulting to emotional fury and vitriol?

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Too deep and subtle for this forum to understand without some members resulting to emotional fury and vitriol?

Are you related?

Yeah...too deep and subtle...that's it...

OP
j_j

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Even the suppressed noise is not truly random because the circuit is based on logic which causes a level of order to the noise that is not present in nature.

Nonsense. The noise in the electronics is just as random. It's that simple. While there can be pseudorandom signals added in some forms of processing (but not all) even those have a period that is far, far beyond the retention ability of the auditory system.

You really do not understand electronics, do you? Do you even know the difference between electronics and digital signal processing, for instance? And what "suppressed noise" are we talking about?

Again, the audio signal is not "pseudo-random", it is stochastic with a particular spectral model and a noise input, if you want to be more precise. The presence of an autocorrelation greater than zero does not mean something is "pseudo random" it means that it's a Markov process of some sort, in most cases, often with a pseudo-periodic driving function. And pseudo-periodic does not mean "pseudo-random". For instance, the string release on a bow that makes a violin work is pseudo-periodic, but the "error" around the mean pitch is random, NOT "pseudo-random".

You're using a lot of terms that it appears you do not understand.

But all of these diversions aside, the article you're defending was complete tommyrot.

OP
j_j

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Refuting ridiculous mistakes is not "emotional fury and vitriol". You have your right to a silly idea. When you expose it to the public, you also have the right to see your silly idea ridiculed into bits.

OP
j_j

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Second, what truly random nature of nature? Water flowing? Leaves rustling? Crickets chirping, cicadas buzzing, bears and lions roaring, birds singing, ??? Most all of those examples include significant amounts of correlated sounds. Nature itself has numerous examples of random and non-random (correlated) sounds. That's its nature. :)

I would put it a bit differently. A signal that has a non-zero autocorrelation (aside from r0, of course) has spectral shaping, but can still (and almost always does, except for pure digital synthesis) look like a random source (which can be pseudo-periodic) applied through a shaping filter. There is lots of Markov in the world. :)

OP
j_j

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
So... very likely that some people experience positive effects from being in nature... I don't believe for a minute this has anything to do with electronics but rather other aspects....

For me it's the QUIET. The silence, the lack of noise. Unfortunately low frequency sound from aircraft is present almost anywhere these days.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Focus on contributing to the topic than commentary about people you don't know. Is this topic part of your core expertise? If not, please don't dispute what is being said. We are not here to answer random challenges.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I would put it a bit differently. A signal that has a non-zero autocorrelation (aside from r0, of course) has spectral shaping, but can still (and almost always does, except for pure digital synthesis) look like a random source (which can be pseudo-periodic) applied through a shaping filter. There is lots of Markov in the world. :)

Yah, well, I could have said that, but I'm a hairy-knuckled country-boy engine-ear without no larnin'. :D Besides, I've mercifully forgotten all I ever knew about Markov and stochastic theory (I hope!) And engineering seems to be pretty far from whatever the argument is being made by the OP.

For the record, REALLY appreciate your contributions here and everywhere!

Top Bottom