• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Echo Studio announced

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the following bit that I found most interesting.
As impressive as the 3D audio experience is, it’s tempered by the fact that there aren’t a lot of songs available in the format yet. Amazon claims that there are currently about 1,000 tracks available in 3D audio on its service, and recording labels and studios are working to master as many songs as they can in the format.
I'll believe it when I see it though.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll believe it when I see it though.

If 3D can be added in the studio and increases the streams I can believe studios may aggressively add titles.

I am most impressed by the price. $100 less than the Google Max, (not clear which will sound better). In the past Amazon has been far more aggressive with discounts so this could hit $150 by Black Friday.

Still a lot of unknowns - if you set up a stereo pair will a single Toslink stream to both? Currently you cannot stream from line or Toslink on the Echo Link/Amps.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Significantly cheaper than the Apple Homepod... I hope it sounds better or equal to it at least.

reza

It appears to employ some form of DRC. From the Amazon page :
"Echo Studio automatically analyzes the acoustics of your room, fine-tuning playback for optimal sound, no matter where it’s placed."

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears to employ some form of DRC........"

Yes, that is what I was referring to above with "continuous auto room equalization. The Google Max does this too. Since they already have multiple microphones built in it makes sense to use them for this as well.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Could the DRC be used with other systems, as is the case with Dirac units? Mass-implementation of room correction seems to be the next big hurdle for the industry. I can't imagine it won't be included in all units within a few years.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure Digital Room Correction is the right term for what is happening here. Dirac/ARC and other room correction systems use a microphone that is placed at multiple positions around the room including the primary listening position to correct for anomalies around the room.

The Echo Studio and Google Max use microphones on the speaker itself, which could be effective in determining whether the speaker is positioned in a corner, against a wall, or away from any reflective surfaces to adjust bass, but not necessarily EQ for the room. I do not know how Sonos equalization currently works, but I know a few years back it involved waving your iPhone around while walking through the room....so more like the DRC concept.

I agree that there are probably real benefits in either case. Tests please!

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Apparently, you have to disable 3D upmixing to get the best sound from it:

https://www.androidcentral.com/echo-studio-review

All the video reviews I’ve seen so far only shows it with the upmixing feature ON, unfortunately — including the one where it was put head to head against the Apple Homepod. Not a fair comparison. Will have to wait and see for more reviews and measurements.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ernestcarl, you are correct....most tests have been with 3D on and have been highly subjective. I would love to see a review with actual measurments.

However, here is my subjective review: I received my Studio, listened to it carefully with the 3D up-mixing on and off, and returned it. While it did some things well, on balance I did not feel it provided an acceptable music experience for me in either mode.

The good: it can play impressively loud with deep bass for its size and price. No question one of them could get me evicted from my apartment without breathing hard. Native 3D audio and Stereo tracks with 3D on do certainly provide a sense of spaciousness and imaging that is much broader than expected from a single speaker.

The bad: In all modes (native 3D, Stereo with 3D effects on, and Stereo with 3D effects off) there is noticeable congestion (blurring, lack of detail, apparent distortion) and tonal unevenness (which could sound honky, distant, or too close depending on mode and track) in the mid-range frequencies. I think there these problems probably exist at all frequencies...but they are most noticeable and less easy to ignor in the vocal region. Whether the stereo tracks sounded better with 3D on or off depended on the track...and they do sound very different. But, in all cases there was a lack of mid-range clarity/detail and tonal imbalance in my room.

If the owners goal is to spend $200 or less on a single smart speaker that can fill a room, and also be used for TV audio...it may be a good choice. In terms of value, you get a lot of sound for the money. However, so far the Studio has not been on sale below the $200 list price. The newest (just released) Echo was recently on sale for $60....you could get two of them plus a refurbished Echo Sub ($80 when available) for the same price. I have not heard the combo...but guess it would sound at least as good.

I think many people will be satisfied with the studio, and it is worth trying. It would be nice if you could turn 3D on or off by voice command (it is buried in the Alexa app with the tone controls...and only visible after an automatic firmware update). Perhaps further firmware updates can improve the speakers accuracy and provide more DSP control options.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
ernestcarl, you are correct....most tests have been with 3D on and have been highly subjective. I would love to see a review with actual measurments.

However, here is my subjective review: I received my Studio, listened to it carefully with the 3D up-mixing on and off, and returned it. While it did some things well, on balance I did not feel it provided an acceptable music experience for me in either mode.

The good: it can play impressively loud with deep bass for its size and price. No question one of them could get me evicted from my apartment without breathing hard. Native 3D audio and Stereo tracks with 3D on do certainly provide a sense of spaciousness and imaging that is much broader than expected from a single speaker.

The bad: In all modes (native 3D, Stereo with 3D effects on, and Stereo with 3D effects off) there is noticeable congestion (blurring, lack of detail, apparent distortion) and tonal unevenness (which could sound honky, distant, or too close depending on mode and track) in the mid-range frequencies. I think there these problems probably exist at all frequencies...but they are most noticeable and less easy to ignor in the vocal region. Whether the stereo tracks sounded better with 3D on or off depended on the track...and they do sound very different. But, in all cases there was a lack of mid-range clarity/detail and tonal imbalance in my room.

If the owners goal is to spend $200 or less on a single smart speaker that can fill a room, and also be used for TV audio...it may be a good choice. In terms of value, you get a lot of sound for the money. However, so far the Studio has not been on sale below the $200 list price. The newest (just released) Echo was recently on sale for $60....you could get two of them plus a refurbished Echo Sub ($80 when available) for the same price. I have not heard the combo...but guess it would sound at least as good.

I think many people will be satisfied with the studio, and it is worth trying. It would be nice if you could turn 3D on or off by voice command (it is buried in the Alexa app with the tone controls...and only visible after an automatic firmware update). Perhaps further firmware updates can improve the speakers accuracy and provide more DSP control options.

Thanks for the review and first-hand impression! I really appreciate it. I’ve tested the Homepod myself and was, of course, initially impressed. But subsequent listenings made me decide... nah. I mean, I’d rather get a smart device and hook it up to my stereo permanently via analog RCA outs or digitally i.e. SPDIF. The main advantage I see for these type of devices is really their portability — although, the echo studio is kinda already considerably large for its class.

Top Bottom