• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

mykeldg

If you do some actual blind testing, instead of believing what others say, you will find that you won't be able to detect a difference between virtually any of these reasonably measuring DAC's. Save yourself some money, and keep reading...
I agree. I think d30 still a great balance between price performance. I just wanted some inputs from someone who has owned both. I guess ill stick with my d30. thanks

Vosya

blinded listening tests and audibility thresholds
Switching the type of digital filter on the DAC changes its SINAD? Does the existence of different digital filters also need to be detected by blind testing? The same applies to filters of different chips.
it seems that two competently engineered DACs should be mostly similar in terms of sound.
Based on what conditions are all Topping"s DACs recognized as such?

THW

Forum Donor
I agree. I think d30 still a great balance between price performance. I just wanted some inputs from someone who has owned both. I guess ill stick with my d30. thanks

D30 seems like a nice bit of kit, although I think its a bit odd how it doesn’t have a display, the display can be used to check sample rate and other things

THW

Forum Donor
Switching the type of digital filter on the DAC changes its SINAD? Does the existence of different digital filters also need to be detected by blind testing? The same applies to filters of different chips.

in this case I don’t think changing the filter will change the SINAD significantly but it might change other aspects, I have my doubts as to how audible the effect of this is though.

and no, you don’t need blind testing in this case to know that there are different digital filters, the measurements here already indicated that there indeed are different filters.

Edit: significant edit, removed irrelevant part of comment

Based on what conditions are all Topping"s DACs recognized as such?

their measurements indicate they are fairly well behaved devices, that they generally don’t produce significant unwanted artefacts when instructed to reproduce signals.

Last edited:

Vosya

All this goes in the direction of the assertion that DACs with the same SINAD sound identical, and are absolutely indistinguishable from each other in any conceivable blind research. That's bullshit.

THW

Forum Donor
also, your habit of asking people to produce proof to refute your extraordinary claims is frankly getting tiring.

for a start, how about proving your own extraordinary claims?

THW

Forum Donor
All this goes in the direction of the assertion that DACs with the same SINAD sound identical, and are absolutely indistinguishable from each other in any conceivable blind research. That's bullshit.

i carefully used the word “similar” instead of “identical” in case you haven’t noticed. the two words are not the same. also, a full suite of measurements is not the same as a single SINAD number.

in addition, if it is bullshit, why don’t you put forth actual evidence that proves different DACs have “night and day” differences? your own sighted listening impressions don’t count btw.

mykeldg

well SINAD is clearly not an indicator of DAC musicality. Just look at the Schiit Yggdrasil. Its a 2000$ dac but performs poorly in SINAD test. I know a reviewer who made a shootout between modi3, modi2 multibit and yggdrasil. The modi3 with the highest SINAD performed the poorest in subjective musical listening. So Yes, I believe, SINAD is just one parameter / indicator amongst many of proper engineering but not the end all be all of sound quality / musicality.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
well SINAD is clearly not an indicator of DAC musicality. Just look at the Schiit Yggdrasil. Its a 2000$ dac but performs poorly in SINAD test. I know a reviewer who made a shootout between modi3, modi2 multibit and yggdrasil. The modi3 with the highest SINAD performed the poorest in subjective musical listening. So Yes, I believe, SINAD is just indicator of proper engineering but not the end all be all of sound quality / musicality.

That's quite a lineup..

THW

Forum Donor
well SINAD is clearly not an indicator of DAC musicality. Just look at the Schiit Yggdrasil. Its a 2000$ dac but performs poorly in SINAD test. I know a reviewer who made a shootout between modi3, modi2 multibit and yggdrasil. The modi3 with the highest SINAD performed the poorest in subjective musical listening. So Yes, I believe, SINAD is just indicator of proper engineering but not the end all be all of sound quality / musicality.

Oh yes because we all know how reliable sighted listening impressions are. See: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html?m=1

If you’re after transparency and linear behaviour, Modi 3 actually is the best in terms of sound quality when compared to the other products you mentioned though. If for some reason you like your sound to be coloured then Modi 3 isn’t for you, but personally I don’t see how non-linear behaviour makes music more musical anyway

mykeldg

Oh yes because we all know how reliable sighted listening impressions are. See: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html?m=1

If you’re after transparency and linear behaviour, Modi 3 actually is the best in terms of sound quality when compared to the other products you mentioned though. If for some reason you like your sound to be coloured then Modi 3 isn’t for you, but personally I don’t see how non-linear behaviour makes music more musical anyway
That's definitely plausible (i was just relaying my peer's findings who did the shootout BTW)) I think he has a video somewhere :

Vosya

i carefully used the word “similar” instead of “identical” in case you haven’t noticed. the two words are not the same. also, a full suite of measurements is not the same as a single SINAD number.
List an exhaustive set of the numerical parameters, on the basis of which I will choose in the market DAC that by ALL people will be recognized when listening, unconditionally better than having the worst performance.

THW

Forum Donor
List an exhaustive set of the numerical parameters, on the basis of which I will choose in the market DAC that by ALL people will be recognized when listening, unconditionally better than having the worst performance.

amir’s measurements here seem to be more than comprehensive enough, actually.

also, cut your shit about ever-increasingly unrealistic standards of evidence, it reeks of dishonesty. you have also yet to actually prove that different DACs truly do have night and day differences btw, and as I recall the burden of proof actually lies upon you.

mykeldg

chill out guys. I just registered in this board to ask about the d50 vs d30 and i'm dumbfounded why people here are too argumentative. These things can be discussed with less aggressiveness/ defensiveness you know?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
chill out guys. I just registered in this board to ask about the d50 vs d30 and i'm dumbfounded why people here are too argumentative. These things can be discussed with less aggressiveness/ defensiveness you know?

Point taken.

This is likely just the aftermath of an epic thread on a $13,000 DAC that was really poor in every way...In fact the site host described it as more of a synthesizer than a DAC... It likely brought out the worst in many, but it highlighted the issue of subjective claims vs objective measurements. Few would actually buy something like that if they didn't believe it would do what was claimed...but the problem is the claims are all based on golden eared subjective blah blah blah rather than actual level matched blind testing. Once people can't peek (and can't rely on placebo effect, confirmation bias, etc etc etc...), the huge differences magically disappear.

Buy a DAC based on features, assuming it meets threshold competence. This science has been pretty well sorted for close to 2 decades now.

People claiming otherwise are part of the problem, especially when well meaning people come to an Audio Science Review site looking for Audio Science and get crap like that.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

THW

Forum Donor

upon re-evaluation and hindsight I probably am a bit too aggressive with my behaviour there.

point taken.

as for DACs, the main value proposition at this point for DACs is features imho.

Last edited:

mykeldg

ive been a spectator on audiosciencereviews for a while and I feel people here are pretty passionate with their hobby, which is always good. At least it is more anchored on science and objective measurements and less about pseudoscience and subjectivity. Something I admire about what amir started.

mykeldg

Anyway, D50S - looks like a great buy for anyone who hasn't had a decent dac yet -- BT & remote and great bonus featureset! I actual listen to bluetooth more these days. What codecs does the BT Support BTW? Does it support aptxhd and LDAC?

Vosya

amir’s measurements here seem to be more than comprehensive enough, actually.
Seriously?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-94424
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-94474
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-94501
After that, we have now:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...on-filter-modes-audio-measurements-png.28406/
- Amir’s measurements are comprehensive, accurate, reliable...
the burden of proof actually lies upon you.
The best evidence is that the D30 was thrown into the pantry and there is not even the thought of returning it to the place of the D50.

THW

Forum Donor
Seriously?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-94424
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-94474
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-94501
After that, we have now:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...on-filter-modes-audio-measurements-png.28406/
- Amir’s measurements are comprehensive, accurate, reliable...

The best evidence is that the D30 was thrown into the pantry and there is not even the thought of returning it to the place of the D50.

i know there are different filters, i already saw the measurements.

whether the differences are audible is another matter though. plus given how filters can be selected for D50 it looks like you can just pick the one that most resembles a brick wall filter anyway so this is a non issue.

as for D30 vs D50, D50 overall measures better IIRC but whether or not you can actually hear the difference is another story. if you think you can actually hear a difference between the two, prove it, because so far between most competently designed DACs the difference is more often than not either audibly small or audibly small enough to not be perceptible.

and aside from that mention about filters, i have yet to see reason to doubt Amir's measurements. i also think it is fairly redundant to measure for the existence of a filter unless something seriously wrong shows up in the measurements (like in the Totaldac review where THD+N is proportional to frequency).

Last edited:
Top Bottom