• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

dharkharma

Hi guys, got a quick question. Was saving to buy the D50s thanks to your awesome reviews, I saw an offer for a D50 (Supposedly New) for around USD117. Should I just grab the D50 or save up more for the D50s? Planning to build the stack together with A50 (or MD Cavalli Liquid or THX AAA 789) + P50 to drive my HD6XX (Daily driver).

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys, got a quick question. Was saving to buy the D50s thanks to your awesome reviews, I saw an offer for a D50 (Supposedly New) for around USD117. Should I just grab the D50 or save up more for the D50s? Planning to build the stack together with A50 (or MD Cavalli Liquid or THX AAA 789) + P50 to drive my HD6XX (Daily driver).

Hi,
Be careful, there has been a bad offer circulating a few days ago for a D50.

If it looks like this one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hread-on-audio-product-sales.3118/post-204950
avoid!
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hread-on-audio-product-sales.3118/post-206423

Snafu

^If you don't need remote and/or bluetooth D50S is same as D50. You won't hear any bumps there :cool:

Last edited:

mykeldg

Does anyone here have the d30 and d50s --- will the the d50s be an audible upgrade from the d30?

yavormoskov

I just ordered the new D50s from Massdrop. I see they also sell Topping P50 linear power supply that can be used with it. Do you think a linear power supply can improve performance or reduce noise or I should not bother?

mykeldg

D50 - definitely yes. For D50s there is no reason to think otherwise.
Interesting, Have you listened to both? I don't know the technicalities of DACs but a difference of only 4-5DB in SINAD from the D30 should not be inaudible when listening at normal volumes but they may be other factors at play. Some say D50 is just a different tuning yet (due to different chip) but have more features than d30 but not necessarily a upgrade SQ-wise. Just honestly curious if someone has listened side by side.

Vosya

Have you listened to both?
Sure, I have both.
a difference of only 4-5DB in SINAD
SINAD does not say anything in terms of subjective perception of sound, it is a fiction. The differences between the CS4398 and ES9038Q2M sound signatures are so great that they cannot be changed by any DAC implementation.

mykeldg

Sure, I have both.

SINAD does not say anything in terms of subjective perception of sound, it is a fiction. The differences between the CS4398 and ES9038Q2M sound signatures are so great that they cannot be changed by any DAC implementation.

Perfect! Finally someone who is credible to do a sidebyside comparison. I agree with your take on chips having inherent sound signatures. Do you think d50s is worth 2x the price of d30? If the D50s is 100% how would you rate the d30 in terms of sound quality (regardless of features)

Vosya

how would you rate the d30 in terms of sound quality
A completely pointless question. There are still people who like the sound of CS43xx, it way of digital filtering, it post-ringing. I’m tired of it for many years, I wanted something new. Although the sound of the Sabre"s is also not ideal.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Perfect! Finally someone who is credible to do a sidebyside comparison. I agree with your take on chips having inherent sound signatures. Do you think d50s is worth 2x the price of d30? If the D50s is 100% how would you rate the d30 in terms of sound quality (regardless of features)

If you do some actual blind testing, instead of believing what others say, you will find that you won't be able to detect a difference between virtually any of these reasonably measuring DAC's. Save yourself some money, and keep reading...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Sure, I have both.

And you've proven that how?

THW

Forum Donor
A completely pointless question. There are still people who like the sound of CS43xx, it way of digital filtering, it post-ringing. I’m tired of it for many years, I wanted something new. Although the sound of the Sabre"s is also not ideal.

Yeah and the AK4490 improves soundstage by 100 rows, is very good at reproducing plankton, synergises very well with many headphones, lifts so many veils its hard to believe, allows you to talk out of your ass...

THW

Forum Donor
Can you prove the opposite?
the person who makes an extraordinary claim should be the one bearing the burden of proof.

based on measurement data, blinded listening tests and audibility thresholds, it seems that two competently engineered DACs should be mostly similar in terms of sound. therefore the burden of proof actually now falls upon you to prove that two competently engineered DACs have “night and day” differences as what you seem to be implying.

oh and I’m not sure what exactly you’re thinking when you demand others to prove a negative.

Last edited:

Vosya

Yeah and the AK4490 improves soundstage by 100 rows, is very good at reproducing plankton, synergises very well with many headphones, lifts so many veils its hard to believe, allows you to talk out of your ass...
Will you repeat the same thing while being sober?

THW

Forum Donor
Will you repeat the same thing while being sober?

Oh I posted that while being sober, actually.

I just have little time for people who think their hearing has magical properties that surpasses even the best measuring equipment.

Last edited:

mykeldg

Well, anyone can judge a sound not based on the tech or chip, but the actual endresult (albeit subjective to the persons taste and personal biases). So youre saying they sound different but not necessarily better?

Top Bottom