• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

chosen_too

No kidding. I didn't like it at first too, thought it sounded too forward and fatiguing compared to the sound I was used to. It all changed with time, my brain adjusted and what I thought was fatiguing now strikes me as clarity and realism. Not saying your experience will be the same, but if you listen to it exclusively for a couple of weeks your perception may well change.

I was listening to Topping d50 (nearly identical measurements as Khadas) from October 18, no changes yet, sorry. Great DAC for price, but sound signature just not in my taste.

gvl

Major Contributor
I was listening to Topping d50 (nearly identical measurements as Khadas) from October 18, no changes yet, sorry. Great DAC for price, but sound signature just not in my taste.

Ok, then what DAC is in your taste?

chosen_too

I wonder what kind of input and output you use on D70.

USB in, RCA out. Already purchased Pi2media AES hat for Raspberry pi to compare USB with spdif or AES. My active Dynaudio speakers have only RCA input, but I'm planning to purchase Focal Solo be to try XLR too.

DeepSpace57

USB in, RCA out. Already purchased Pi2media AES hat for Raspberry pi to compare USB with spdif or AES. My active Dynaudio speakers have only RCA input, but I'm planning to purchase Focal Solo be to try XLR too.

I am not uber expert here, keep reading, learning and arguing. Yet, your low end problem is highly likely to arise from input selection(usb). You can have a look at jitter distribution of D70 in the first page. The figure is based on USB input. I am almost sure you use the worst input/output choice for D70. Please share your findings regarding your raspberry hat.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you think everyone likes transparency in sound? I prefer Dynaudio over Hedd or Adam (both have better measurements) exactly because less transparent sound, it's simply more comfortable for my ears. If you're chasing most uncolored and neutral sound - maybe you are on right way, but what for? Only needed in studio maybe, home music listening is just for fun.

He said "in Hi-fi", not "in sound".
I like distorted guitar to sound as recorded.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Khadas IMD is awful, just listen to guitar or piano and compare it with hump free DAC like x26. You can do it blind if you like to.

Can you record both outputs and let us listen to that awfulness vs good sound?

chosen_too

Can you record both outputs and let us listen to that awfulness vs good sound?

No, I don't have equipment to record it. It's not big deal to visit local dealer and compare these DAC's by yourself if you're interested.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you should listen it in room where it was recorded or build same room in your apartment)

I did that with my friend's voice, in the same room. I understood I needed better speakers or mic.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I don't have equipment to record it. It's not big deal to visit local dealer and compare these DAC's by yourself if you're interested.

You are the first person to be able to hear the infamous ESS hump anyway.

Can you tell what you heard as a difference?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Measurements are measurements and nothing more. Can we measure two guitars for example? Yes. Would you like one with better measurements? Can't say) Will measurements reveal broken or bad designed guitar? Absolutely. Same with dacs.

If you are thinking about electronics like a dac as being like an instrument, and subject to personal design preference rather than or ahead of fidelity to the incoming signal, you may continue to see differences that don't exist.

If two guitars measured the same, they would sound the same. You are 'hearing differences' that so far no one on the planet has been able to reliably hear.

diegooo1972

The purpose of guitars is to have personal sound and are difference for definitions. It's impossible to have 2 guitars with the same sound.
The purpose of a DAC si to reproduce with best fidelity an original sound.
This are 2 completely different purpose.
If 2 DAC measure the same they sound the same. Like 2 perfect equal guitars but that's just impossible.
In any case as BDWoody sais if 2 guitar measure the same they sound exactly the same.

chosen_too

You are the first person to be able to hear the infamous ESS hump anyway.

Can you tell what you heard as a difference?

Acoustic guitar and piano sounds better without hump, more details and more natural sound, vocals also. It's not distortion like noise, pops and so on.

Top Bottom