• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

Krunok

Major Contributor
I was listening to Topping d50 (nearly identical measurements as Khadas) from October 18, no changes yet, sorry. Great DAC for price, but sound signature just not in my taste.

I also have paranormal ability - I can tell which cards you hold in your hand by looking at them. I'm not good at that once my eyes are closed but as long as they are open I can easilly tell your cards.

chosen_too

I also have paranormal ability - I can tell which cards you hold in your hand by looking at them. I'm not good at that once my eyes are closed but as long as they are open I can easilly tell your cards.

So I should close my eyes to make d50 sound better for me? Come on, let's get back to d70.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I should close my eyes to make d50 sound better for me? Come on, let's get back to d70.

It is possible that a IMD hump is audible. For once with have measurement difference.
Please tell one or two tracks or excerps sounding good to you on the D70 and not on the D50 so that other people can try.

I guess we could open a special thread or use the ESS hump investigation one for that.

chosen_too

Rebecca's Pidgeon "Raven" and Buena Vista Social Club albums a great for this purpose. Any other well recorded acoustic guitar and piano should be ok.

Krunok

Major Contributor

No. What I'm trying to explain is that if you were listening to both of them wihtout looking (knowing) which one is playing you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. If you can't accept that simple truth that has been scientifically proved many times you better find yourself another forum.

chosen_too

No. What I'm trying to explain is that if you were listening to both of them wihtout looking (knowing) which one is playing you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. If you can't accept that simple truth that has been scientifically proved many times you better find yourself another forum.

I know what ABX is, thank you, no need your advice about what forum should I visit also.

I have only active speakers for now, ABX is not an option.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
I know what ABX is, thank you, no need your advice about what forum should I visit also.

I have only active speakers for now, ABX is not an option.

Doing ABX of 2 DACs is not an option with active speakers?!? Are you sure you know what ABX is?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yeah, I'm not scientist at all, let's wait for someone with required hardware to perform ABX.

I remember when I used to be so convinced I heard 'differences that can't be measured'...

Fortunately I drank the water when I was led to it, and now am glad I can focus on what may actually have a chance at making my system sound better, rather than chasing some placebo laden, expectation bias fulfilling product of the month that simply drains my bank account.

I will take my electronics without placebo please.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yep, I know what ABX is. I don't have equipment to match levels and perform fast DAC swapping. Can you please stop thinking everyone else less smart than yourself, it's not acceptable.

You seem to fail to understand a simple point: why do you think your subjective observations present any value to anyone here?

Moriarty

"you are the first person to be able to hear the infamous ESS hump anyway."
"Superhuman talents you have."
"I also have paranormal ability - I can tell which cards you hold in your hand by looking at them."
"You are 'hearing differences' that so far no one on the planet has been able to reliably hear."
"you better find yourself another forum."
"why do you think your subjective observations present any value to anyone here?"

I'm getting sick with it. :(

It's not a polite conversation about Topping D70 pros and cons anymore. It's more like a witch-hunt.
The level of arrogance is getting to make this place unfriendly.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
"you are the first person to be able to hear the infamous ESS hump anyway."
"Superhuman talents you have."
"I also have paranormal ability - I can tell which cards you hold in your hand by looking at them."
"You are 'hearing differences' that so far no one on the planet has been able to reliably hear."
"you better find yourself another forum."
"why do you think your subjective observations present any value to anyone here?"

I'm getting sick with it. :(

It's not a polite conversation about Topping D70 pros and cons anymore. It's more like a witch-hunt.
The level of arrogance is getting to make this place unfriendly.

Challenging a faulty premise isn't impolite. For those looking for comparisons of soundstage and 'voicing' between two inaudibly different devices, at a site that eschews subjective anecdotal non-repeatable claims, they may be disappointed in the responses.

If you came in and said, "I just did a full level matched dbx test between the d70 and the (dac of choice with comparable measurements), and I could pick them out 10/10 tries, what am I hearing?" You may find some more acceptance of your question.

When you come in and say some well reviewed dac is garbage, or that you should avoid some chip because it has a digital signature, or the soundstage is more forward, or whatever other audio buzzword bingo phrase you want to throw in, what do you expect?

For the most part, the senior members here are incredibly patient...trying to help people maybe realize for the very first time that a huge part of this industry is truly snake oil marketing, based on a flowery subjectivity that is completely removed from the actual science of it.

For those who choose to continue to chase the best sounding USB cable...well:

tenor (1).gif

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Challenging a faulty premise isn't impolite. For those looking for comparisons of soundstage and 'voicing' between two inaudibly different devices, at a site that eschews subjective anecdotal non-repeatable claims, they may be disappointed in the responses.

If you came in and said, "I just did a full level matched dbx test between the d70 and the (dac of choice with comparable measurements), and I could pick them out 10/10 tries, what am I hearing?" You may find some more acceptance of your question.

When you come in and say some well reviewed dac is garbage, or that you should avoid some chip because it has a digital signature, or the soundstage is more forward, or whatever other audio buzzword bingo phrase you want to throw in, what do you expect?

For the most part, the senior members here are incredibly patient...trying to help people maybe realize for the very first time that a huge part of this industry is truly snake oil marketing, based on a flowery subjectivity that is completely removed from the actual science of it.

For those who choose to continue to chase the best sounding USB cable...well:

View attachment 29727
Couldn't agree more.

Whatever you want to believe, ASR is not a forum when we will discuss about exceptional imaging brought by the burn in of a power cable.

We're here to discuss objective performance. Period. By the way, proper ABX/DBT tests are part of objective performance in my book.

I didn't see any subjectivists here bringing relevant proofs about what they claim. Only, "I know what I heard", "the difference was so obvious" and my favourite: "measurements don't tell the whole story" (meaning your ears would have better analysis abilities than an Audio Precision) etc etc.

You can disagree with that, no problem. But then, you went to the wrong place, I regret. No need to debate any further.

diegooo1972

I will not be able to do so but I'd love to buy d50 and d70 to just to try to hear the difference.
I'm pretty sure I can't. I have more trust in measurements then my ears and brain.
Because it's not only the ears that are involved but also psychology and brain.
Psychology and brain are variables. Measurements are fixed. I want fixed values to take decisions.
And also you can't compare variable aspects like psychology and brain pretending that everybody have the same brain and the same psychology.
Obviously impossible way.
That's a pretty logic behaviour in my opinion.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't need you to pass an ABX. If you could just record the output of the same song with the 2 DACs we could do it ourselves.

Krunok

Major Contributor
We don't need you to pass an ABX. If you could just record the output of the same song with the 2 DACs we could do it ourselves.

And why exactly is that needed and what new information could come from that? Don't you understand that AP analyzer does exactly that - it records the analog output to analyze it and the results are what they are, so why would anyone want to see the recording of the output of the DACs that have already been measured here?

gvl

Major Contributor
Yeah, I'm not scientist at all, let's wait for someone with required hardware to perform ABX.

Have you taken the Blumlein's 8th DAC/ADC generation test? It's an eye, or should I say ear?, opener.

Top Bottom