• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Note speakers

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speaking of tube amps because tube amp is part of the solution in that video. As I see it, tube amps have their place among DIY enthusiasts who have technical knowledge and find it fun and satisfying to tinker with tube amp building projects.

Here an example. Horias2000 got this tube amp together. Measures, compared to other tube amps, really well. A really nice build overall.:)
A lot of technical design discussions with SIY in that thread (SIY is undeniably knowledgeable regarding tube amps).

SIY with this sentence describes it well:

You're making me itch to get my next tube amp built.

Horias2000 DIY tube amp::)
f9e49e9a-3b7b-42cc-b5a9-da115fabe722.jpg

5682a2b8-1c69-4d69-8bad-86663511e0a4.jpg8bb82a15-ce40-4a8e-8672-76128f12eda2.jpgtube_4ohm_speaker_cottect_GND_right.png

Buying commercial tube amps, on the other hand, I am extremely doubtful about. Often very expensive and that combined with often rather lousy performance and low power is not a winning combination in my eyes.:oops:

Last edited:

CapMan

Major Contributor
45kg and 20 watts - that’s half a watt per kilo. By the same measure my Denon AVR would weigh nearly 400 kg - just a little less than a vintage Fiat 500 :rolleyes:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Citing AN's "Technical explainers" is hilarious if they actually believe this pure science fiction nonsense themselves you should run from anything they make .
It's mostly BS with some kernel of truth here and there stretched beyond it limits and applicability .

If they actually make up this technobable to scam you , you should run for that reason .

It's a loose loose situation dealing with this kind of people ?

The price tiers seems borrowed from scientology ( learn from the best )

Short: if you read "feedback is bad", beware

GM3

Well that is true but Audio Note conducts their own tests with their equipment - and they use some of the best measuring and test equipment available - they have concluded that certain wires and caps transformers make an improvement which is why for example you can audition an M3 and M5 an M6 and an M8 preamp - all of them are the exact same design topology in the exact same case with the same features - the only difference is the internal parts. You can audition these identically designed amps to determine if all those "parts upgrades" are audible or not. Obviously, they feel they are and so do the people spending the money for them. This is the same for the AN E/LX speaker that uses Copper while the AN E/SPe uses silver cable. The price difference is relatively small and one can choose what they like better or what they think is better value - or if you want pit them against each other level matched and blind to see if you can even tell the difference. Peter Qvortrup has always been happy to put his gear in blind-level matched conditions. After all - when so many people see the measurements and "corner loaded" and see that they are wider baffle - a lot of expectation bias goes against them.
'Obviously'? Ugh no. Crooks and scammers have no issue taking advantage of ignorant and gullible people. You assuming that they believe their own bullshit is a great way to get scammed.

Case in point: https://www.audionote.co.uk/isis-mains
https://www.dagogo.com/audio-note-uk-isis-mains-cable-review/

Price: 437.63 USD first meter,
233.88 USD per additional meter;
554,47 USD for 1.5 meter.

1714047887833.png

Last edited:

CapMan

Major Contributor
'Obviously'? Ugh no. Crooks and scammers have no issue taking advantage of ignorant and gullible people. You assuming that they believe their own bullshit is a great way to get scammed.

View attachment 365803
From the review

“This cable benefits from at least a hundred hours of break-in and when you first plug it in will require some additional settling time, which is to say that it does not like to be moved or plugged and unplugged.”

:facepalm:

DanielT

Major Contributor

View attachment 365803
From the review

“This cable benefits from at least a hundred hours of break-in and when you first plug it in will require some additional settling time, which is to say that it does not like to be moved or plugged and unplugged.”

200w (1).gif

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the review

That kind of stuff makes me want to slam my head through the table.

Though as I’ve mentioned before, a long time ago I tested speakers from Shun Mook, who make equally ridiculous claims for their products. And although their tweak products made no difference, their speakers were actually quite impressive sounding.

JSnider

I’m new here as a commenter, but have found the common mentality amusing.

People should listen to a piece of gear before dismissing it based on measurements. Sad to miss out on a piece that may give the listener more joy because of some measurement—as flawed as those measurements often are.

I hope measurement obsessed “objectivists” don’t have turntables. Or enjoy recordings made with microphones and compressors and mic preamps that objectively measure “poorly” but are used to make our favorite and classic albums.

I love how AN gear plays music. I love how a lot of brands play music, quite often with “poor” measurements. And a lot of gear with more “perfect” measurements sound bad. Boring. Lifeless. Sterile.

My ears are the instruments that tell me if one piece of gear sounds better than another. Just listen.

CapMan

Major Contributor
I’m happy we all we make you smile.

I use an AVR with Dirac that subjectively in my room sounds as at least as good as the luxury HiFi product it replaced which had a price tag 5 x higher. The measurements of the HiFi product were a little better, but not audible in my room. Dirac and well measuring speakers made the difference, not 5N silver cables, or tubes or 45kg casework, or hand wound transformers or any other amount of this stuff

I’m glad you like AN, but the laugh is on you not us .

Edit - the idea that poorly measuring gear that colours the sound to taste is a superior pov is nuts.. how can it colour the sound the right way for every piece you play - it’s a fixed tone control - an expensive one at that .

Last edited:

JSnider

I’m happy we all we make you smile.

I use an AVR with Dirac that subjectively in my room sounds as at least as good as the luxury HiFi product it replaced which had a price tag 5 x higher. The measurements of the HiFi product were a little better, but not audible in my room. Dirac and well measuring speakers made the difference, not 5N silver cables, or tubes or 45kg casework, or hand wound transformers or any other amount of this stuff

I’m glad you like AN, but the laugh is on you not us .

Edit - the idea that poorly measuring gear that colours the sound to taste is a superior pov is nuts.. how can it colour the sound the right way for every piece you play - it’s a fixed tone control - an expensive one at that .
Sounds like you enjoy your current system more than the luxury hifi component that you say measures better. You’re using your ears! Nice.

As for your edited in point—all audio gear colors the sound to some extent. Best to listen to a lot of systems with a large variety of the music you like to find the gear you’ll love. A spec sheet won’t tell you that.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

People should listen to a piece of gear before dismissing it based on measurements.
I have listened to AN gear, many times. Including one system with the Ongaku featured in the post above. I still dismissed it.

yes it is personal taste, but please don't assume none of us have auditioned this stuff. I've been doing this for forty years, I've heard it all.

JSnider

I have listened to AN gear, many times. Including one system with the Ongaku featured in the post above. I still dismissed it.

yes it is personal taste, but please don't assume none of us have auditioned this stuff. I've been doing this for forty years, I've heard it all.
You did what I recommended everyone do! Listen! Sounds like listening to the gear has helped you find what you do and don’t like.

Note—I said people should listen to a piece of gear before dismissing it based on measurements. You dismissed AN based on your preference! That’s great! I do that often for gear loved by many.

And I did not claim or assume that no one here has auditioned this stuff.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Sounds like you enjoy your current system more than the luxury hifi component that you say measures better. You’re using your ears! Nice.

You misunderstand my point, but I suspect there is little point in continuing this. This conversation has been had many times before.

I can colour the sound in any number of ways with EQ, but I can also be reassured that I’m starting from a place of relative neutrality as demonstrated by the measurements. The measurements also mean I stop wasting money by making choices based on a brain (not ears) that is fickle , inconsistent, easily fooled, gets tired, etc .

I am constantly exasperated by people who expose that audio is on some higher plane of understanding or an experiential level beyond the understanding of engineering and science

Edit - whilst making coffee I realised that my HiFi is just another appliance in the house . It is an appliance that renders music . The hard work on that music is done by the composers musicians and studio team. I love music , it’s precious to me, for that reason alone I need the HiFi to be a non event . It’s a music rendering applicance bought to a price point and specification. Not very romantic, but there you go. Others will disagree and thats cool.

Thank God AN don’t make washing machines - they would probably only clean properly if situated in corners ;)

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I hope measurement obsessed “objectivists” don’t have turntables. Or enjoy recordings made with microphones and compressors and mic preamps that objectively measure “poorly” but are used to make our favorite and classic albums.
But then you missed this:

Here you see the "objectivists' own record player::)

Many switch between streaming and record players. Nothing strange about that. Turntables have their charm, which has nothing to do with its sound quality compared to best-in-class streaming.

In addition, if you just want the best sound quality, you wouldn't be able to listen to old recordings made with yesterday's technology, but many, even objectivists, still listen to these old recordings.:)

But what objectivists do NOT do, for example, is buy extremely expensive snake oil cables. It adds nothing. It's just throwing the money in the lake.:rolleyes::oops:

Last edited:

JSnider

But then you missed this:

Here you see the "objectivists' own record player::)

Many switch between streaming and record players. Nothing strange about that. Turntables have their charm, which is not in their sound quality compared to streaming.

In addition, if you just want the best sound quality, you wouldn't be able to listen to old recordings made with yesterday's technology, but many people listen to these old recordings in spirit, even objectivists.:)

But what objectivists do NOT do, for example, is buy extremely expensive snake oil cables. It adds nothing. It's just throwing the money in the lake.:rolleyes::oops:
I do find it interesting that “objectivists” can find the charm in an inherently flawed medium, but maybe that’s one of the many exceptions to the rule. Vinyl on a properly set up turntable of good quality does sound lovely, but the dynamic range measurements, distortion, and channel separation are objectively poor.

JSnider

You misunderstand my point, but I suspect there is little point in continuing this. This conversation has been had many times before.

I can colour the sound in any number of ways with EQ, but I can also be reassured that I’m starting from a place of relative neutrality as demonstrated by the measurements. The measurements also mean I stop wasting money by making choices based on a brain (not ears) that is fickle , inconsistent, easily fooled, gets tired, etc .

I am constantly exasperated by people who expose that audio is on some higher plane of understanding or an experiential level beyond engineering and science

Edit - whilst making coffee I realised that my HiFi is just another appliance in the house . It is an appliance that renders music . The hard work on that music is done by the composers musicians and studio team. I love music , it’s precious to me, for that reason alone I need the HiFi to be a non event . It’s a music rendering applicance bought to a price point and specification. Not very romantic, but there you go.

Thank God AN don’t make washing machines - they would probably only clean properly if situated in corners ;)
I’m glad you enjoy how your hifi reproduces music!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes it’s a wonder vinyl sounds as good as it does, worth remembering that any amount of distortion can be added in the creation of a file but I personally do not want added distortion in its reproduction.
Keith

Top Bottom