• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I find the whole thing comical. There are to many other speakers to pick from that are already measured, reviewed and ready for a user,
with no strings attached. Why buy a potential problem. Who what's to do that?

I have always had three option for an answer:

1. I like what I see.
2. I don't like what I see.
3. I have no opinion on what I see.

In this case and moving forward, #3.

I use that choice in just such cases.

It's much like employment. Someone ask you about a person for a reference. To avoid ANY and ALL issues, I've offered NO reference or
opinion on that person. The option was to say they were horrible and I would never rehire them. The fact is some people might hire a
thief, liar, con-person, that won't show up to work. I just don't happen to be one.

If the person is a good worker I always suggest I would hire them back in a second and STOP at that point. I don't say anymore.
The sucker still could leave a bolt loose and a cause a problem, he/she just didn't have it with me.

I know it was a review and # 3 would have still have been my option along with, "I no longer will review any Tekton speakers."

It should bring ONE change from one EXCHANGE. If you want me to review YOUR speakers, provide a release of ALL and any litigation,
liability, or compromise as a result of that review. The alternative is "I have no opinion on Tekton."

49 years that served me as a professional person that was sent to review 50-700,000.00 dollar pieces of equipment. Not ONCE did
anyone threaten me. BUT I was bonded for a reason and keep a substantial liability policy in place and will until my journey into eternity.

I can buy 250K worth of tools, it has never made a mechanic out of a single person. Be careful what you want to do when you grow up and
claiming you're an expert because you read the operation manual. It doesn't make you an expert or give you any authority to claim you are.

With the claim DOES come liability. In the field of sound reproduction, NOTHING is written in stone, only recommendation based on past
practice. It still carries NO weight because of one single argument.

No two people are the same including the TWO (in most cases) ears on anyone's head. They are all different to one degree or another furthering
the argument that some people just can't hear worth a crap and actually think because they can't hear worth a crap, you can't either. I've seen it on
every single audio forum I've ever visited.

There are no exceptions and brother this is as Scientific as it gets and proven over and over with a simple hearing test.

I have an interesting story;
Hearing test conducted at a facility that specialized in industrial exposure and to qualify individuals for work. 20 years of skewed testing because
an AC blower for the building would come on in the middle of testing. Only in the summer though??? A lot of people were required to use hearing
protection EVERYWHERE or be written up and fired with cause, IF!!!!

As a Union Stewart, "that dog don't hunt." All along until a mechanic threw a fit over hearing LOSS in one year, that proved to be untrue with written
complaints over the prior 20 years of testing about that friggin' blower motor. LOL My physical was always in the early spring. No AC in the spring.

This thread has taken on the life of "Vinyl." That's an opinion don't get mad. :)

Be of good cheer the kids worked it out...

Give em a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and make um both sit in the corner.

Retired Master Mechanic and really good at listening to sniveling KIDS too.

Regards to the grownup, the kids not so much.

Time to feed the chickens.

Matt_Holland

Not exactly sure that Eric won with all of the bad publicity coming his way. But who knows. Will just have to wait and see...
In understand why Erin wants nothing more to do with the brand. A shame because I think it would be very interesting to see more measurements of these products from him and by remaining professional in the process he would only enhance his audiences’ high opinion of him. I would like to see more Tekton speaker reviews on ASR. Maybe there will be some owners who are so disgruntled with EA’s behaviour that they will send theirs to Amir for analysis.

thunderchicken

Oh boy, I would have a field day with that string of emails Erin put up in his latest review. Tekton admits that Erin’s allegedly problematic statements weren’t malicious by calling them the result of a “rookie mistake.” I know everyone is up in arms over this because of how financi scary lawsuits are, but this is even more clearly BS now.

Matt_Holland

Not in the uk, cars have to yield if pedestrians are crossing /waiting on the pavement to cross
What?! Only if they intend to cross at a zebra or pelican crossing and even then only if the pedestrian has at least one foot on the road.
I’m think you’re misrepresenting our great nation ;)

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would like to see more Tekton speaker reviews on ASR. Maybe there will be some owners who are so disgruntled with EA’s behaviour that they will send theirs to Amir for analysis.
An “abnormally high” number of reviews could be construed as malicious intent—especially if the reviews are somewhat “negative”.
Amir may be confident enough to proceed, but why would any “less structured, individual” reviewer would even peek at a Tekton speaker? Being able to read the brand name would be the closest I would get…
And who would even care about these Tekton reviews anyway?

To me, that’s why Tekton won…

Last edited:

Matt_Holland

An “abnormally high” number of reviews could be construed as malicious intent—especially if the reviews are somewhat “negative”.
Amir may be confident enough to proceed, but why would any “less structured, individual” reviewer would even peek at a Tekton speaker? Being able to read the brand name would be the closest I would get…
And who would even care about these Tekton reviews?

To me, that’s why Tekton won…
I fear that, in the long term, you are correct.

I also wonder how this would have panned out if the threats of litigation came from a large company’s legal team.

TabCam

I kinda feel there are wins and a loss. A win that Erin didn't change his subjective review, a win that he found a problem for Eric Alexander to solve (bracing/stiffnes top panel) and a win that the holes had nothing to do with Erin's measurements / measuring ability but also a loss that he won't review Tekton speakers anymore.

I now have mixed feelings. I do not like the whole threaten to sue at all and I hope all the USA states will pass anti-SLAPP laws. those should only be a last resort, after normal requests, moderation/mediation and such have been exhausted and not resulted in a meaningful solution.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To me that will depend if they ever pop up in a place like Stereophile again. That brand is toxic now. The guy is unhinged and reviewers will now think long and hard about associating with him.
You’re correct: Tekton will only get solicited (paid / controlled) reviews from now on… Isn’t this what EA wanted?

coonmanx

Sort of amusing how on some different forums people want to bash Amir or even ASR. We get accused of "group think". LOL. Frankly it is one of the reasons that I am here now. Because I was on Audio Karma and they were bashing ASR over an amplifier review. So I figured I would come over and check it out. Liked the place and stayed... Haven't really been back to Audio Karma since then...

Another thing... I don't like people who have to bash others in order to build themselves up. If you don't like a certain forum then feel free to go somewhere else. There are plenty of audio forums to choose from. And frankly, a lot of the discussion about Tekton is being driven from the discussion that we are having over here. So that makes me feel like I am in the right place.

Induna

@amirm It is a very good thing you stood up to him rather than letting him have his way. Now this thread and the other are here for any future targets of his to find and understand precisely the caliber of person that is going after them. Your's and Erin's now we'll documented experiences will hopefully be an example of how best to proceed with Mr. Alexander. Good on you!

Top Bottom