• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game Speakers - The Quest Continues

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sorry, between show and family vacation, been a bit busy (also have my new grandson with us, he is always the center of my attention :))

I will provide a more detailed report in the coming days, but in the interim … a lot to see at these shows, spent yesterday just doing a fairly fast “filtering” and deciding here I want to spend more time today/tomorrow. As I have learned from past shows, most rooms range from “meh” to horrific. But always diamonds in the rough that make it all worth the time (and money!).

As I fully expected, the Soundfield offerings were very, very good, will certainly be spending more time there. 8Cs excellent (again, expected). On a positive note I was able to remove a speaker from the short list due to auditions at the show (Clarysis). Will explain why later. Other standouts were Diptyque (really enjoy these planars), Amphion, Lansche, and the big Borresens (WELL out of my price range, but sounded very good). Strangely the other smaller Borresens in other rooms were terrible. Piercing ear bleeders where I could only handle couple min max.

More to come …
Don’t leave out the ‘horrors’, I had some Lansche, ask about the service costs and intervals for their plasma tweeters!
Best.
Keith

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Don’t leave out the ‘horrors’, I had some Lansche, ask about the service costs and intervals for their plasma tweeters!
Best.
Keith
Well, I already mentioned the smaller Borresen, terrible (but the large towers were very good). But yes, in the full report I will be sure to mention “worst of show” ;)

As to Lansche, wouldn’t own them, but in the interest of being fully objective, I could see (hear) how someone may want to own pair … no major issues I could ascertain, a well balanced and enjoyable presentation

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@MKR what's wrong with the D&D 8c?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh? Sorry, not following. There is nothing wrong with the 8C, it is superb (except the cardioid is limited to the mid freq).
In the first post you wrote "Dutch and Dutch (upcoming larger model, not the 8C, though the 8C is superb!)". If it's superb, why wait for the next model? There's no guarantee it will be better.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

kma100

Forum Donor
In the first post you wrote "Dutch and Dutch (upcoming larger model, not the 8C, though the 8C is superb!)". If it's superb, why wait for the next model? There's no guarantee it will be better.
I believe he is looking for something with more output.

Reactions: MKR

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@MKR what's wrong with the D&D 8c?
Given that D&D's primary market is professional recording studios, and given that the 8c is a worldclass midfield monitor, two directions they might go are towards main monitors or towards dedicated mixing monitors. And main monitors would call for significantly higher output, as one of the jobs of the main monitors is "impress the clients", in this case the clients being the musicians who are paying the recording studio. When the studio plays the album they just finished for the band, they want the band members to be blown away. This doesn't usually happen at modest sound pressure levels.

My guess is that the step up (in output at least) from midfield monitors to main monitors is likely to be a significant one.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe he is looking for something with more output.
I wonder what size room he has. Is that info buried somewhere above?

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I wonder what size room he has. Is that info buried somewhere above?

I don't remember if I saw it in his previous thread or in a private message, but @MKR's room is quite large and quite beautiful.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It can't doesn't get any more end game than this ;)
Screenshot_20240217_232706_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't remember if I saw it in his previous thread or in a private message, but @MKR's room is quite large and quite beautiful.
Maybe he should be looking at JBL M2's.

Top Bottom