• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help wanted looking for speakers tv/bedroom

OP
R

Riez1984

I know this will go against a lot of "good sound" hardliners
But probably in this context a quality 2.1 pc audio system like the logitech z623 could give you everything you need (including good bass) for little money and little desk space (and little floor space for the sub)
Personally I own them and despite having respectable music systems, I always find them pleasant to listen to both with music and with films.

View attachment 274754
I dont really like the idea of a sub beneath my desk tbh it's already cramped the way it is.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't need an audiophile system in my bedroom. I keep a Logitech Squeezebox Boom with a cheap flat Yamaha sub attached to it, and it does the duty of filling the room with good quality sound more than adequalety - staging etc not relevant for the use case for me. Sound is totally satisfying for the spot.

OP
R

Riez1984

I am able to get the JBL 104 BT edition for €100,- will this be a good option for this money for my use-case paired with the Topping DX3? I'll use them for gaming, and listening to music from my bed (so not in front of them in that case)

OP
R

Riez1984

I've looked at various options. First I wanted to go get an edifier set second hand for €70,- (RT1700).

But if I went up in budget and buy the Iloud Micro for 235,- as a warehouse deal or a pair of Tannoy reveal 402 for around the same price, would that be a worthy investment? Will I enjoy listening to either of these not only when I'm behind the pc but also from the bed in the room as stated in my post?

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I need powered with the Topping, right?
No but you would need an amplifier with passive speakers between them and the Topping. Lots of good small options reviewed by Amir here.
Here’s one for $99!

Last edited:
OP
R

Riez1984

Ended up with the Topping PA3s and Polk XT15. These were €75,- a pair new. Sounds a lot better for me now.
20230414_142819.jpg
20230407_151205.jpg
20230414_141554.jpg
20230422_191234.jpg
20230422_191220.jpg

Last edited:

Kjasonl

The Edifier MR4 looks to have been revised since Amir took a look at it, so may be worth considering:

You can find measurements of many budget studio monitors on spinorama.org. Good for weeding out the trash.
My two cents says the Edifier mr-4 on the active side. For passive , I'd go back to entry level Elacs. Good sound and build quality.

cat

the logitech z623 could give you everything you need (including good bass) for little money
my primary desire is for deep bass, so I initially considered the z623 based on reviews that highlighted its ability to produce powerful enough bass to shake windows and picture frames but hearing lots of people complain about the build quality has caused me to reconsider and spending 15k on a system with known issues feels risky. Any other options in the $240 price range? (not including the sub)

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
my primary desire is for deep bass, so I initially considered the z623 based on reviews that highlighted its ability to produce powerful enough bass to shake windows and picture frames but hearing lots of people complain about the build quality has caused me to reconsider and spending 15k on a system with known issues feels risky. Any other options in the $240 price range?
This is cheapest in 2.0 active that I know of and if you menage to find them.
In smaller room you will have more low end extensions and they are like a deacent single 10" sub.

staticV3

Master Contributor
excluding the .1 which I'll get later
Here's a list of active monitors that are roughly within your $240 per pair budget:

I'd personally choose the A306 if you can find one as it has the ability to apply room correction in hardware, which is just awesome at that price.

cat

Here's a list of active monitors that are roughly within your $240 per pair budget:

I'd personally choose the A306 if you can find one as it has the ability to apply room correction in hardware, which is just awesome at that price.
hey, do you think the Kali Audio LP-6 V2 is good? It's on Amazon for 240 USD. There's also the M-Audio BX8 D3, but I'm not sure if either of them are good for movies. I was planning on adding a subwoofer later, but i want the max bang for the buck.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
hey, do you think the Kali Audio LP-6 V2 is good? It's on Amazon for 240 USD. There's also the M-Audio BX8 D3, but I'm not sure if either of them are good for movies. I was planning on adding a subwoofer later, but i want the max bang for the buck.
Kali LP 6 V2's are very nice but again you will need sub with them, M-Audio BX8 ain't that great but it will pass absolutely without sub in small to medium sized room. As much as I know LP 6 V2 are 200$ a peace so not sure what you find for 260$ if it's pair you should go that way.

cat

Kali LP 6 V2's are very nice but again you will need sub with them, M-Audio BX8 ain't that great but it will pass absolutely without sub in small to medium sized room. As much as I know LP 6 V2 are 200$ a peace so not sure what you find for 260$ if it's pair you should go that way.
Oh it turns out it's not a pair, just a single piece. Any other recommendations? Considering the passive route with something like the BT20A Pro, which has a variable pre-out for adding a sub later, but I'm struggling to find speakers to match – they're either unavailable or priced double the original cost.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@cat where do you live? Country will be enough and for the reason to see what's available. What do you want to achieve (SPL, bass extension, room size, listening distance, sources)? For how much money and on how long path?
Going separate will always cost more.

cat

@cat where do you live? Country will be enough and for the reason to see what's available. What do you want to achieve (SPL, bass extension, room size, listening distance, sources)? For how much money and on how long path?
Going separate will always cost more.
Budget: while I don't have a fixed budget, my initial spending limit is $200-$300 (not including the sub).

Room size: living room is approximately 192 square feet.

Setup: I'm open to both active and passive setups, depending on which offers the best performance and availability within my budget.

Future expansion: I'm not gonna mess up with the setup at all except for adding a subwoofer later.

Listening preferences: My primary focus is on bass, especially sub-bass, for movies and bass-heavy hip-hop.

Listening distance: around 8 ft from speakers

Source: My audio source is solely my tv (optical, rca, hdmi, bluetooth). I don't own any audiophile hardware like DACs, turntables etc. and I don't plan on getting any in the future.

Top Bottom