• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quebec audiophile shows off his new Hi-Fi system, very expensive set up

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For all we know the bloke could have borrowed the money to buy the system. Re-mortgaged his house maybe.

He probably didn't, and I didn't watch his whole show so I don't know if at some point he mentions that his Aunty Irma died and left him a million dollars or that he's just on a big salary.

I mean not everyone who has flashy stuff just drew the money out their savings account to get it.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this the same auto detailing guy who hides his "paid endorsement " in the smallprint? Yeah he has the money for this equipment but take his "I bought everything" with a dose of skepticism.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this Pan the Advertiser thread should be deleted or locked it flies in the face of what this site is about. Just my 2 cents @BDWoody

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The B&W 801 D4 are not bad speakers, in a proper setup they sound very good.

What the's point of raining on others like this? He's happy with and proud of his system, what's the problem?
Exactly!

Sure, each of us would take his investment and make different choices, but as the fellow says in his video, it is all subjective and this is what he likes... at least for now.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The B&W 801 D4 are not bad speakers, in a proper setup they sound very good.

What the's point of raining on others like this? He's happy with and proud of his system, what's the problem?

21538e95-1989-46e2-8719-1c07f9adbaf3_text.gif

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this Pan the Advertiser thread should be deleted or locked it flies in the face of what this site is about. Just my 2 cents @BDWoody
If we can share random and often beautiful photos, share cars, guitars, and more, why not share our audio playback systems? I personally think the whole Pink Panther bit associated with the reviews is peculiar for a site based in objective measurements, but I can ignore it and focus on what I find relevant.

Why not ignore the threads that don't interest you?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It didn't interest me until I noticed it was about pay-to-play YouTube shills.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It didn't interest me until I noticed it was about pay-to-play YouTube shills.
That ironically makes me feel better about it. He has a definite reason to have a bunch of gaudy expensive stuff.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

I don't think he is doing advertising as I had search quite a bit to find the components he mentions. He doesn't give the full names as well for the components. The Shunyata cables are not specified so I had to look on the site to find which ones he got.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

But why does it matter? Whether the bad decisions were an accumulation over years of events and smaller decisions or environmental vs hold my beer moment, it is something on the Internet and people are seeing it for the first time.
In what sense are they "bad decisions"? It depends on his financial situation and whether he enjoys the purchases.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It makes it seem more like he is a running a small nuclear power plant down there than playing an mp3.
A handsome setup for sure and I'm sure it sounds very nice.
But all that money and he's still restricted to 2ch's
That's a shame.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What bothers me is that it's labeled "audiophile" as if this is some sort of nirvana level setup. The Furutech stuff is mind bogglingly (?) stupid and a waste of money that could have gone to even gaudier sets of blue meters or speakers.... :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't think he is doing advertising as I had search quite a bit to find the components he mentions. He doesn't give the full names as well for the components. The Shunyata cables are not specified so I had to look on the site to find which ones he got.
I do wonder why your cross posting these thread from other sites?
Are we supposed to be impressed?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
B&W are the most popular audiophile speakers on the planet so you can't really "blame "him for buying them
No mainstream audiophile would choose a Genelec or a JBL M2 or a KEF Blade over them.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

I do wonder why your cross posting these thread from other sites?
Are we supposed to be impressed?
No I posted the video so after the response by Joffy about what it cost I was curious and looked up what his bill was. Then I added it to the top of the thread in case other people were interested in what those cost. It's on the first page. I don't expect anyone is going to use those links to niche hi-fi stores selling $5000 power cables for their personal shopping lol.

Top Bottom