• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

electrolutz

None would be audibly better. What you have is already fully transparent.

If you want to improve the sound, then focus on loudspeakers, acoustic treatment and room correction.
Many thanks for the answer :)
No, I wasn't interested in improving the sound and from my point of view my speakers are very, very good and I don't know of any others that could be better within an affordable framework.
Sometimes I add two active 30 cm subwoofers with DSP. But otherwise I am very satisfied with the passive solution and my room.
For me it was really just about the DAC, about the transparency.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice of you to so quickly realise your mistake muso!
Enjoy yourself on the appropriate sites.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder how many of these accounts with like 7 posts actually are the same person just trolling us ? should we just put them on the ignore list without even answer any of them ?

Or should we assume that anyone posting nonsense in this tread as their first action as members being a troll and just push the report button directly ?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For those still skeptical about the reliable replies here, the only thing left to do is recommend to pour some wine on the DAC.
Marinade it overnight.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If posting here makes at least one contributor pause for a moment before they buy the next piece of BS than ASR has been useful.
Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
should we assume that anyone posting nonsense in this tread as their first action as members being a troll
I do. But, there's a tiny chance they're not here simply to stir up trouble. So a few polite replies is in order. Generally, it gets obvious if they're trolltastic.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

OldTimer

Many thanks for the answer :)
No, I wasn't interested in improving the sound and from my point of view my speakers are very, very good and I don't know of any others that could be better within an affordable framework.
Sometimes I add two active 30 cm subwoofers with DSP. But otherwise I am very satisfied with the passive solution and my room.
For me it was really just about the DAC, about the transparency.
I heard different sound from different DAC using same amp and speakers. Last time I used Bur Brown Wolfson DAC and now AKM AK. AK is more dynamic, but Wolfson is good on vocal/singer.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard different sound from different DAC using same amp and speakers. Last time I used Bur Brown Wolfson DAC and now AKM AK. AK is more dynamic, but Wolfson is good on vocal/singer.
That's nonsense. If two DACs sound different from each other, at least one of them is broken. And there is plenty of evidence to back this up. You, however, only have a nice story.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
That's possible but it's suspicious that you didn't say what the difference was... ;) i.e. Background noise, distortion, no bass, etc. Noise ,frequency response, and distortion are really all there is to "sound quality" when it comes to DACs or other electronics (see Audiophoolery). If there's a difference it's usually noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background). But you would have mentioned that.

And, you probably didn't do a proper level-matched, blind, ABX Test.

b7676

E70V, D70 Pro Octo/Sabre, Su-9 Ultra.
The headphone amps (L70, A70 pro) get the preamp with r2r analog volume control which is very nice.
An LA90d amplifier is much more performance (not power unless monoblocked).

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The challenge remains unmet by however many visitors these accounts represent.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The challenge remains unmet by however many visitors these accounts represent.
I think the idea is that we're supposed to prove their zany ideas.

stefanovesa

Nice of you to so quickly realise your mistake muso!
Enjoy yourself on the appropriate sites.
Hi, I'm not sure if your reply is for my post. My English is be very bad so I could have misunderstood. Anyway I've just joined the forum. My post could be not in-topic or troll-like, but it wanted to be a personal confirm from newbie that the audio measurements have changed my audio experience with DACs. Nothing else.
Cheers,
Stefano

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No worries. He meant Musoman, a member who is no longer with us. We like to think he has gone to a far more subjective place.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last time I used Bur Brown Wolfson DAC and now AKM AK. AK is more dynamic, but Wolfson is good on vocal/singer
Bur Brown (TI) & Wolfson (Cirrus) are two different things. Yet, both are known to have somewhat a warm/analog sound with pleasant harmonics. AKM is also warm, but slightly more transparent, more dynamic and precise. ESS are on the north side of neutral, very resolving and bright.

Or at least, in the collective imagination.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No worries. He meant Musoman, a member who is no longer with us. We like to think he has gone to a far more subjective place.
Thanks fpitas. Spot on!
Even now, Old Harry is holding Musomans feet to the coals.

b7676

And, you probably didn't do a proper level-matched, blind, ABX Test.
How about this analogy for the improbability against ABX'ing level matched with ears;
ABX a cesium and your quartz kitchen clock, but you only get one 'frame' per second to do it, and never directly against the other or gaplessly between the two.

Top Bottom