• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK, what are you guys buying yourselves for Christmas?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And after all that work to restore it, what are you going to listen to on an FM tuner that is not a commercial, not news, not talk-show?:confused:
I only ask, since I could not find an answer to the above dilemma, and I ended up throwing out my Luxman T2 when it died. It broke my heart but had to be done.:facepalm:
Classical music on the local public channel

Last edited:

norman bates

Forum Donor
my radio choice is.............

"KCCK started out as a 1972 project in an electronics class at Kirkwood Community College. The same year a license was granted and the station broadcast, albeit sporadically for the first 3 years. In 1975 KUNI donated its 1945 transmitter to KCCK and KCCK built a larger tower."

"Jazz, Blues, news and informational programming from American Public Media, besides 12 hours of blues and nine hours of new age/ambient (Echos and hearts of space), Native American and Celtic music per week."

I prefer the gentle jazz, not where it is so free form that I can't follow it.

And also 91.7 iowa public radio station (classical)

And sinfully bounce from 80's pop (think genesis/the motels/pet shop boys), to rockier 80's-90's (alice n chains/stp/police/queen/aerosmith), to a bit harder rock (puddle of mud/Chevelle/3 days grace/foo fighters/falling in reverse).

I also see another tuner (aligned but not fully restored) Pioneer tx7500 lamps replaced with LEDs, fully aligned, and a 90 day warranty for an overpriced $500, maybe buy restore kit parts ($60) later and have local guy restore. 4 gangs

But I am leaning towards the kenwood kt6500 (same as above aligned/warranty) for a bit overpriced $200 then buy restore kit ($100) after the warranty is up. 3 gangs

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Commercials and DJs interrupted by music just does not work out for me.
I won't even badmouth the audio quality of those "interruptions"!

beeface

I'm still a big fan of radio, but I'm sure it's dependant on where you live. There's a few stations I enjoy in Sydney, Australia

Noske

For the three people who live in Australia and hang out here, check out channel 27 on ya TV for 24/7 classical music, no commercials. Of course, radio does it too, but let's not get complicated.

JimBean

Nothing, already spent too much on myself this year. Plan on buying my two best friends gifts, and that's pretty much it.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1699685229027564.jpg

I decided i buy myself a new office chair yesterday, nothing fancy or pricey, just new.
The old Ikea one slowly drops down over the course of hours. I start at the top in the morning and by noon i'm almost sitting on the floor.:facepalm:

groovybassist

Forum Donor
n' jocks. Maybe a manbra. (Have to have seen a Seinfeld episode to get that).
Also known as the “Bro” (Kramer) or “Manssiere” (Frank) - great show.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 331838
I decided i buy myself a new office chair yesterday, nothing fancy or pricey, just new.
The old Ikea one slowly drops down over the course of hours
. I start at the top in the morning and by noon i'm almost sitting on the floor.:facepalm:
I hear yah!
Mine was a few years old; not Ikea, but was fancy and pricey.
So, being the cheapskate that I am; this was my cheap but effective fix:
202312_ChairRepair.jpg

;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe it's not the chairs, guys...
maybe you're just getting (...how do i say this in the most politicaly correct way?....) gravitationaly challenged? View attachment 331921
Pot/Kettle?
I still fit into my 31" waist Levi's 501 jeans from 10 20 years ago... I am getting vertically challenged but we all shrink in height as we get older.;)
Those chair 'hydraulics' are really that cheap and they cannot be repaired, the materials used in such chairs are not meant to last less than a few years, anyways.
Don't start me on cheap casters for cheap chairs, please!:facepalm:

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Always pay a premium for things that go between you and the ground. Shoes, tires, mattresses and I guess chairs fall into that category.

Depends,

I know people who rave about how great and iconic an Eames lounge chair and ottoman are. However, i think they have more money and brains considering it costs $7500 USD.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Those chair 'hydraulics' are really that cheap and they cannot be repaired

Just go to your local office furniture supply store. A new gas-lift should be about $20, plus a few dollars to fit it. You can get whatever height gas lift you want- even switch the whole chair to a stand/sit unit or bar-stool height.

example:
1701816202999.png

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bought myself a 65 inch LG OLED. Cut my thumb pretty bad on my tape measure hanging the wall mount. Looking forward to seeing Gillian’s Island in the absolute highest res possible. :)

Top Bottom