• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HBB X KZ PR2 Planar IEM

Truckasaurus

I just wanted to mention it without any offense, I'm 38 and I hear 15 kHz yet I understand speech with noise or reverberation much harder compared to an average person. But I hear noise floor and high frequency well.
Yeah 10khz seems very low to me... I'm 35 and haven't taken particularly great care of my ears in my life (sirens, bands, loud music) but I can still easily hear 16khz according to my last hearing check. I hear it in the shimmer of cymbals in particular. Hearing is a very subjective thing thats much more nuanced than a frequency alone, which is why obsession with frequency response graphs in headphones is stupid and generally meaningless unless you are VERY picky about everything conforming in one specific way to your preference.

Truckasaurus

Well I fixed the new version of the PR2 to sound correct again. I'd say it's pretty much identical to the original, but it will cost you $6.

On aliexpress, look for "50pcs Earphones Tuning Foam DIY Earphones Sound Tube Tuning Cotton Dustproof Foam Filter" without the quotes. Pick up a pack of the 5x5 medium density foam. I tried all 3, and the high density was muffling and muddy, the low was still quite shrill, and the medium was just right.

The medium foam brings back the detail that was hidden beneath all the shrill awfulness, doesn't mess with soundstage or imaging or separation, and doesn't muddy the mids or lows. It just brings everything back into harmony, like the original PR2 was. no more harsh sibilance and muddy detail in the upper mids and treble. they might still be a little bit brighter than the originals, but I personally like it, and the detail is just right. I'd love to see someone measure a before/after with this mod against the original version.

Just use a pick to peel off the nozzle covers (no need to save them, the foam will replace their job) and jam one of the foams down each nozzle until it's about level with the edge of the nozzle. No need for precision. Just make sure it's in there enough that it won't come out and you can still get it back out if it ever gets dirty or clogged. And a 50 pack of the stuff should last you the rest of your life.

Either way, now I can recommend them again, AS LONG AS YOU CAN GET THE FOAM and are willing to do this mod yourself. Still, shame on KZ for pulling this crap on the customer anyways.

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like the PR2 very much.
It sounds dynamic, fast and clean.
I definitely prefer it to the Crinacle Zero red, as it sounds too boring and has too much bass. Likewise the Hexa. The PR2 has the more authentic timbre.
I don't need an EQ with the PR2. I have very rarely experienced that. In my opinion, a must buy.

rockrolla

I like the PR2 very much.
It sounds dynamic, fast and clean.
I definitely prefer it to the Crinacle Zero red, as it sounds too boring and has too much bass. Likewise the Hexa. The PR2 has the more authentic timbre.
I don't need an EQ with the PR2. I have very rarely experienced that. In my opinion, a must buy.
That's exactly my thoughts, it's a lot of fun , I understand it's not for everyone but couldn't care less , it's one my favourite iEMs and I already order PR3

Bow_Wazoo

I would also like to order it, but unfortunately it is not possible to have it delivered to Germany.

Blorg

I would also like to order it, but unfortunately it is not possible to have it delivered to Germany.
It was possible (still is, just for $20 more) if you buy directly from KZ. It's AliExpress that has issues, due to this packaging law. Smaller sellers are either small enough not to be covered, or just ignore it. They even have "Germany" up the top with the US and a few others in their "most common countries":

1700304935676.png

KZ PR2 etc. are sold on amazon.de, the PR3 will be on there in time.

May as well wait now and see the reviews as you missed the pre-order. I ordered it for the $29 pre-sale (and a bit less with a voucher), but I don't think it looks that different from the PR2 V2 though, the treble is still very spicy. Maybe a bit smoother, it doesn't seem to have that dip the PR2 did (but that was possibly a positive in reducing sibilance). It's very possible this is going to be virtually identical to the PR2 V2 though, you may not be missing anything.

Bow_Wazoo

I just do not understand.
I can order all other items from the KZ aliexpress shop. Just not the PR3.
All neighboring German countries can also be delivered.

Bow_Wazoo

Anyway, the ka3 arrived yesterday. That should be fine.

20231118_130959.jpg

Bow_Wazoo

Ultimately, I have personalized the frequency response. I am all the more enthusiastic about the performance. Regardless of the price.

Screenshot_20231118_134020_Neutron Player.jpg

Blorg

I just do not understand.
I can order all other items from the KZ aliexpress shop. Just not the PR3.
All neighboring German countries can also be delivered.
I heard that many things could not be ordered from AliExpress to Germany due to a law about packaging.

With the PR3 on AliExpress it was a pre-order. So it wasn't possible to add it to cart and check out normally. You could only press to buy it only directly, from the link. I bought it from AliExpress.

If that didn't work though, you could put an order in from KZ's own website.

Bow_Wazoo

I might have it delivered to a friend in the Netherlands.

Dazerdoreal

I would like to see a frequency response by an independent website. They made some good products recently and there is one on their homepage, but especially when it comes to KZ I would like to see independent measurements.

Have you seen this? They cannot be serious. :rolleyes: "7h* Tim*less"

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto_2023-11-19_13-36-20.png
    Bildschirmfoto_2023-11-19_13-36-20.png
    295.7 KB · Views: 103

Dazerdoreal

According to Squiglink measurements very harsh upper treble has to be expected.

Bow_Wazoo

However, the measurement of the PR2, does not seem to be from the current version.

Bow_Wazoo

My PR3 is on the way. I will do a direct comparison with the PR2 (current vers.)

museguy

Last edited:
Just received the pr2 new version (it doesn't have the black filter) and as a self identifying treble sensitive this iem DOES not have any offensive treble I can see. I -2db at about 4k as I do with most iems but that's it. Honestly shocked how great this 21$ iem sounds.

Fits wayyy better than the previous hbb KZ dq6s, has imo way better mods and treble too.

Top Bottom