• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HBB X KZ PR2 Planar IEM

BillG

Major Contributor
Just a quick FYI:

The PR2 makes an Apple dongle (non EU) beg for mercy; it'll barely drive it to an adequate volume and has no headroom once there.

I've got the following on the way. It's inexpensive and has a separate amplifier chip - I should have it in two weeks:

BillG

Major Contributor
When I see this level of target compliance I can't help but smile. Now, if I can just get some distortion measurements - I'm actually working on it.

ht.png
pw.png
bakHr19.png

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Get a 4.4 or 2.5mm bal cable and a bal dongle like the Dunu dtc500. It really makes things easier power wise.
Just a quick FYI:

The PR2 makes an Apple dongle (non EU) beg for mercy; it'll barely drive it to an adequate volume and has no headroom once there.

I've got the following on the way. It's inexpensive and has a separate amplifier chip - I should have it in two weeks:

amadeogt

The rubindum magnets are a fairly new thing as far as i can tell. Wonder how they will progate though the industry. Seems that only Chinese firms currently use it as it's a Chinese invention , here's the patent info for anyone whos intrested.
Long time ASR reader, first post.

I ordered a KZ PR2 as well. However, your post got me thinking about something. Isn't rubidium slightly radioactive? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubidium).

I read the chinese patent - thanks for the link - and didn't find anything regarding this issue. Except that it is an alloy, rubidium mixed with iron and boron.

Am I worrying about this for no reason? After all, neodymium - which we've been using in headphones for decades - does have radioactive isotopes as well.

JRS

Major Contributor

I ordered a KZ PR2 as well. However, your post got me thinking about something. Isn't rubidium slightly radioactive? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubidium).

I read the chinese patent - thanks for the link - and didn't find anything regarding this issue. Except that it is an alloy, rubidium mixed with iron and boron.

Am I worrying about this for no reason? After all, neodymium - which we've been using in headphones for decades - does have radioactive isotopes as well.
In the naturally occurring form, there is one radioactive isotope with a really, really long half life of about three times the age of the universe. This means it would take a lot of it to pose a significant hazard. Turns out it is fairly common ingredient of the earth's crust--as is Radon--but the similarity ends there. I didn't run any numbers, but I strongly suspect that a few grams in magnets is not a health risk, and likely swamped by the amount of radioactive potassium in our bodies at any given time.

And welcome to ASR. Only very closed minded trolls are unwelcome, and even then after repeat offenses. Also, a much higher S/N ratio than the average audio site.

Vini darko

Major Contributor

Hi welcome to asr. As JRS says it should be perfectly safe.

Human Bass

If I'd wanted something like that I would've purchased it initially.
Well, or you could not had the idea initally. In my experience hard to drive iems really benefit of going balanced. And there are many affordable high quality dongles with a bal output.

BillG

Major Contributor
Well, or you could not had the idea initally. In my experience hard to drive iems really benefit of going balanced. And there are many affordable high quality dongles with a bal output.
For the future, let's assume that I've already had whatever idea you might be thinking of tossing my way. It'll save us both time.

Human Bass

Have a look how Sharur enjoyed the stingy treble:
Sharur is a problematic individual with some massive ocd and some other issues. According to him anything not the Moondrop Variation is the worst thing ever.

He either got a defective unit or some other weird issue to get this ultra boosted treble.

Last edited:

Jochen

Sharur is a problematic individual with some massive ocd and some other issues. According to him anything not the Moondrop Variation is the worst thing ever.

He either got a defective unit or some other weird issue to get this ultra boosted treble.

Sharur is fine, he may be sometimes a bit over the top, but mostly straight to the point. Just look at the FR, it is rising steeply from 12kHz, nothing I would enjoy as well (at least not without EQ). And as a matter of fact, the Variations are the best IEM, hands down. Even without any EQ.

Last edited:

Human Bass

Sharur is fine, he may be sometimes a bit over the top, but mostly straight to the point. Just look at the FR, it is rising steeply from 10kHz, nothing I would enjoy as well (at least not without EQ). And as a matter of fact, the Variations are the best IEM, hands down. Even without any EQ.
High treble measurements are very tricky. But Ian graph shows a 5db boost that is a lot less than Sharur 15.

Once my set arrive, I will report.

LearningToSmile

Sharur is fine, he may be sometimes a bit over the top, but mostly straight to the point. Just look at the FR, it is rising steeply from 10kHz, nothing I would enjoy as well (at least not without EQ). And as a matter of fact, the Variations are the best IEM, hands down. Even without any EQ.
Only... it doesn't actually sound like that. I have that IEM, I have decent hearing to at least 15kHz, I can use a tone generator and a have a measured and room corrected set of speakers to compare to. I don't hear that raising treble.
There might be sample variation. There might also be measurement issues. But why are you taking that single measurement as gospel, and ignoring all the ones that don't show that issue?

markanini

Major Contributor
mostly straight to the point
I'm still waiting for him to prove that he validated his virtual reviewing process. It's his claim BTW that it sounds the same using EQ matching functions, I only asked about his process and his answers became increasingly defensive, but no more substantial. He often likes to question whether others have untrained hearing. He spends minutes in near every video reacting physically to products he's reviewing(mostly virtually). He doesn't come off as an objectivist to me, more a theory junkie subjectivist. He has made unproven claims that absolute phase reversal "increases soundstage".

Last edited:

Jochen

I'm still waiting for him to prove that he validated his virtual reviewing process. It's his claim BTW that it sounds the same using EQ matching functions, I only asked about his process and his answers became increasingly defensive, but no more substantial. He often likes to question whether others have untrained hearing. He spends minutes in near every video reacting physically to products he's reviewing(mostly virtually). He doesn't come off as an objectivist to me, more a theory junkie subjectivist. He has made unproven claims that absolute phase reversal "increases soundstage".
ok, as I said, he is sometimes over the top, I agree, He also wants to judge over-ear headphones just by FR alone, which is, in contrast to IEMs, not valid, but he is an knowledgable objectivist. I discusse with him also in private on his discord server, he knows his stuff.

markanini

Major Contributor
ok, as I said, he is sometimes over the top, I agree, He also wants to judge over-ear headphones just by FR alone, which is, in contrast to IEMs, not valid, but he is an knowledgable objectivist. I discusse with him also in private on his discord server, he knows his stuff.
So you're ok with him, because you don't expect him to justify his claims, only to discuss. Ok, then. I try not to let my personal feelings affect how I observe someone claimed to be an objectivist. Talking about someone who publicly criticizes Amir and Oratory1990, usually by taking statements out of context, it could get tricky.

The more I prefer to stick to the factual claims that are made, and whether they can be proven. That's where the engagement stops, I don't peruse someone for proof. Either they have it or they don't.

Last edited:

Tarnith

When I see this level of target compliance I can't help but smile. Now, if I can just get some distortion measurements - I'm actually working on it.

View attachment 285592
View attachment 285593
View attachment 285594
I'm very keen to see the THD measures!

Looks like there might be a Dioko replacement at half the price if these hold up. Exciting times.

The one thing I'd still like to see is a low distortion planar with great QC for L/R channel matching. Even if the price was higher. There just doesn't seem to be anything with a decently compliant treble *and* good channel matching. (Even the $20 Zero beats every planar I've seen)

Last edited:
Top Bottom