• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Atom Amp 2 Headphone Amplifier Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 278 93.3%

• Total voters

mc.god

Fantastic unit, but I'd like to see a 3 level gain with a negative setting for very sensitive iems.
Not that I'll ever think to get one if it'll continue to be such an hassle here in EU :(

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's the Atom Amp 2's Max Power vs Load:
_b_JDS Labs Atom Amp 2___b_ Max Power vs Load (clipping_ knee) (1).png

And compared to other Amps in the price class:
_b_Max Power vs Load of various Headphone Amps__b_ (clipping_ knee).png

(Thanks for tightening up your Voltage sweeps @amirm!)

mc.god

ocinn

L30II higher power due to max gain set at 16,5 db where Atom 2 is set at 13,5 db, just a hint more than older Atom+ (13 db), but still plenty of power.
Gain is a completely irrelevant argument once you factor in the relative context of SINAD and noise.

Even with its higher gain, L30ii beats this in SINAD, output and low level noise.

Regardless, if I was in the market for a headphone amp in this price range I’d probably choose this simply due to the physical design and the reputability of JDS’s support.

mc.god

The L30II has higher output power, not because it has higher gain, but because its power supply can supply more current.
Atom 2 ps is rated at max 1A output, can't find the spec for the Topping one, but shouldn'it matter only at low ohm loads? I was referring to the entire curve at all the possible loads, is max gain totally unrelated to max power delivered by an amp?

Gain is a completely irrelevant argument once you factor in the relative context of SINAD and noise.

Even with its higher gain, L30ii beats this in SINAD, output and low level noise.

Regardless, if I was in the market for a headphone amp in this price range I’d probably choose this simply due to the physical design and the reputability of JDS’s support.
I was not implying anything about sinad and noise. As i mostly use sensitive iems i would rather buy the Topping due to it's low gain setting, fantastic 100 db sn at 50mv and availability in italy.

staticV3

Master Contributor
is max gain totally unrelated to max power delivered by an amp?
No. In a situation where input voltage is limited, low gain may well be the factor that's limiting output power.

For example, here's the Max Power vs Load of the L30 and L30II with limited input voltage:
Max Power vs Load_ L30 vs L30II (DAC_ E30) (clipping_ knee) (1) (1).png

The higher gain of the L30II means that it can reach its current or voltage limits even above ~14Ω where the L30 is gain limited.

Philipp

Newbie question:
Would that make a good Preamp in combination with a stereo-power-amp with no volume control?
Or would there be a better product for such a purpose at this pricepoint?
Thanks in advance!

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the sort of thing that should be on the front cover of Stereophile; high performance, well made, no bullshit and fiercely priced. If JDS can make it this work commercially I take my hat (figurative) off to them.

wwenze

Major Contributor
This is the sort of thing that should be on the front cover of Stereophile; high performance, well made, no bullshit and fiercely priced. If JDS can make it this work commercially I take my hat (figurative) off to them.

Nah, not if the listening reviewer cannot hear the difference between this and his iPhone with his HiFiMAN RE2000. On the other hand the Wood™ III Pro Plus produces a much more organic sound.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Solid amp, well done
1700750096931.jpeg

Newman

Major Contributor
I remember how hifi forums were awash with ridicule of ‘NwAvGuy’, who came up with the original circuit behind this amp. His assertion, that he could devise a cheap amp that was utterly transparent to the ear, was apparently beyond the pale and sufficient proof that he was an idiot and didn’t know what he was talking about, let alone design a transparent amp.

PS a long time ago I bought an early O2 amp which is the predecessor to the Atom.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Top Bottom