• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good God what a lot of horse hockey connected to and housing their drivers. I guess they've decided to play along with the snake oil game after all.

While there is some use of premium parts, what makes you think Purifi is promoting snake oil?

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Not in the production version.

What I have seen is that the buffer is no longer “snappable” but it is a separate thin and long board which has to be connected via wires, not a comb connector. This seems progress and, in fact, that is a separate board. I wonder whether they will actually be sold always together.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Good God what a lot of horse hockey connected to and housing their drivers. I guess they've decided to play along with the snake oil game after all.

Where’s the snake oil? What I have seen are components that are known for reliability and stability (both important for capacitors and stability for inductors) and resistors that are not inductive. Clarity Cap, Mundorf. Nothing ridiculously audiophile.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
What I have seen is that the buffer is no longer “snappable” but it is a separate thin and long board which has to be connected via wires, not a comb connector. This seems progress and, in fact, that is a separate board. I wonder whether they will actually be sold always together.
What I have seen is the datasheet :)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where’s the snake oil? What I have seen are components that are known for reliability and stability (both important for capacitors and stability for inductors) and resistors that are not inductive. Clarity Cap, Mundorf. Nothing ridiculously audiophile.
Expensive cables, the overpriced Mola Mola DAC, those speakers. All at utterly ridiculous prices. Definitely some snake oil going on.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I remember that Hypex initially kept that 1200 module for their Own Mola Mola designs , other manufacturers could buy them but if I remember they could only be used in products over a species rrp. Later of course they became available to all.
Keith

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You and I know very well the answer ;)

My contacts have been silent and I have not seen a datasheet. As a Purifi OEM would hope they share a bit more with you.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Expensive cables, the overpriced Mola Mola DAC, those speakers. All at utterly ridiculous prices. Definitely some snake oil going on.

So, please distinguish what Purifi brings with them from what other demonstrators do with their amps.

Cables: The Purifi folks normally use Cordial 425 speaker cable. It is an inexpensive, flexible, pro cable with 4 x 2.5mm wires that are usually connected in a crossed faction between amp and xover, so it becomes like a large star quad, and then for their own demo speakers like the SPK16 they carry the signals for tweeter and woofer separately. This cable costs less than 4EUR/m.

DAC: The Mola Mola DAC is not overpriced, look at the electronics inside. Remember this is a design from 2012, and it reached objective performance that took years for the big chip names to achieve. And it is still on the market with a stunning design, manufactured in small amounts, so in the big picture it does not have a ridiculous price – it does not offer subpar performance like many other "high end" DACs at ten times its price.
Interestingly, the Purifi folks also bring around a Topping D90 (first series, the version without MQA) and they often do the demos with that DAC as well, so they are definitely not snake oil peddlers.

zalayetadk

Reflections about the late release of the 9040,

Could it be that Purifi is facing challenges finding capable PSU for the 9040-module (PSU for mass production – reasonable price).

It seems that there is a very limited market even for PSUs to support the smaller 7040 fully.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Reflections about the late release of the 9040,

Could it be that Purifi is facing challenges finding capable PSU for the 9040-module (PSU for mass production – reasonable price).

It seems that there is a very limited market even for PSUs to support the smaller 7040 fully.
They demo it with the SMPS1200A180.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
So, please distinguish what Purifi brings with them from what other demonstrators do with their amps.

Cables: The Purifi folks normally use Cordial 425 speaker cable. It is an inexpensive, flexible, pro cable with 4 x 2.5mm wires that are usually connected in a crossed faction between amp and xover, so it becomes like a large star quad, and then for their own demo speakers like the SPK16 they carry the signals for tweeter and woofer separately. This cable costs less than 4EUR/m.

DAC: The Mola Mola DAC is not overpriced, look at the electronics inside. Remember this is a design from 2012, and it reached objective performance that took years for the big chip names to achieve. And it is still on the market with a stunning design, manufactured in small amounts, so in the big picture it does not have a ridiculous price – it does not offer subpar performance like many other "high end" DACs at ten times its price.
Interestingly, the Purifi folks also bring around a Topping D90 (first series, the version without MQA) and they often do the demos with that DAC as well, so they are definitely not snake oil peddlers.
Value propositions are always down to the individual, the Tambaqui is a good dac but objectively no better than many far less expensive options.
If you enjoy the aesthetics of the Tambaqui ( I don’t particularly) or it has a feature that you particularly enjoy then purchase one.
But in terms of sound quality despite ‘all the electronics inside’ it will be no better than any other fine measuring dac.
Keith

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The Mola Mola is hideously overpriced. My other comments were about the equipment in the video, not purifi. You can fanboy all you like, but $12000 for a difference you can’t hear is dumb.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
My contacts have been silent and I have not seen a datasheet. As a Purifi OEM would hope they share a bit more with you.
Hopeful for an end of the year sample/small batch, but dealing with hard to source components is the latest update.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Value propositions are always down to the individual, the Tambaqui is a good dac but objectively no better than many far less expensive options.
If you enjoy the aesthetics of the Tambaqui ( I don’t particularly) or it has a feature that you particularly enjoy then purchase one.
But in terms of sound quality despite ‘all the electronics inside’ it will be no better than any other fine measuring dac.
Keith

No doubt, and the DAC is expensive but does not make it (or any of the rest of this system) snake oil...

Did anyone here expect Bruno and company to use something other than his own DAC? Am not surprised and not under any delusions that these guys might hope to upsell a bit while promoting their latest effort. Pandering maybe, but the rest of their system seems more of a proof of concept. Except for the DAC, there are no other finished audio products involved. :)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Mola Mola is hideously overpriced. My other comments were about the equipment in the video, not purifi.

Thanks for clarifying but is not how I understood your post initially.

You can fanboy all you like, but $12000 for a difference you can’t hear is dumb.

Fanboy or not, Bruno is not dumb and keeps Purifi clear of indirectly endorsing some other DAC.:cool:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Not sure Bruno left Hypex under such good terms, the dac was left unfinished for years, I don’t believe for a moment the Tambaqui is snakeoil it is a fine measuring dac and considering the age of the deign, but is actually isn’t any better.
Keith

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for clarifying but is not how I understood your post initially.

Fanboy or not, Bruno is not dumb and keeps Purifi clear of indirectly endorsing some other DAC.:cool:
I actually watched the video !:)

Bruno is definitely not dumb, but that is orthogonal to the cost/value of a particular DAC.

Seems like we mostly agree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom