• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta Test: Multitone Loopback Analyzer software

weme

weme

"PKANE-DWA" -> DeltaWave Audio Null Comparator
"PKANE-DAT" -> Distort audibility tester
"PKANE-MTA" -> Multitone - Loopback Analyzer for Audio
"PKANE-PKH" -> PKHarmonic VST Plugin - Audiophile Harmonics Generator
"PKANE-AHT" -> Earful - Audiophile Hearing Test App

pkane-MTA | pKane-MTA | Pkane-MTA | PKane-MTA | ...

All abbreviations have 0 hits with the google search engine.

Last edited:

nagster

Multitone (MTA) has a warm-up period you can specify that will be used for each step. I never need it to be more than about 1 second, usually have it set at 0.5s. But you can always increase it. MTA will play the test signal for that period of time before starting measurement.

If the extra time is needed because of latency/delays, these are accounted for in the recording mechanism: it'll not start measurement until there is a signal at the input, so nothing you should need to do in this case.
got it. thank you.

Abrise

Is there a convention on the meaning of power for a multitone test. When we see a graph with a title : 32 multitone 5W. Are the 5w refering to the peak power, the average power or else ?
I have the same question for the Play Gain. How is built the multitone relative to the play gain. What is the max amplitude for a white spectrum and how is minimized crest ?

Sokel

Master Contributor
...and out of the blue,E-MU's ASIO works again:

asio.PNG

:)

Sokel

Master Contributor
So no new audio interface for you, then? ;)
It was working with Flex all this time but is the itch!

(new interface yes,just not yet!)

Edit:Big Win10 update yesterday as I see now,probably that's the reason it was fixed.

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was working with Flex all this time but is the itch!

(new interface yes,just not yet!)

Edit:Big Win10 update yesterday as I see now,probably that's the reason it was fixed.

MSFT is good at this: roll out changes without announcing the details, forcing an update that then breaks many things. They then take months to fix the issue(s) that they never acknowledge... and then apply it as another forced update.

weme

The function "Capture current plot to clipboard or to an image file"

Capture-current-plot...to-an-image-file.jpg

does not generate the corresponding file types for JPEG / PNG:

file typ JPEG (.jpeg) generates a PNG file typ
file typ PNG (.png) generates a JFIF file typ

weme

MTA offers a very useful function for analysing signals in the spectrum.
An exemplary modification would enable a better overview and faster work - especially in complex signal structures. Or not for you?
function_analysing-spectrum-signals_ori.jpg function_analysing-spectrum-signals_mod.jpg

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The function "Capture current plot to clipboard or to an image file"

View attachment 325480
does not generate the corresponding file types for JPEG / PNG:

file typ JPEG (.jpeg) generates a PNG file typ
file typ PNG (.png) generates a JFIF file typ
You're right! Will be fixed asap.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
MTA offers a very useful function for analysing signals in the spectrum.
An exemplary modification would enable a better overview and faster work - especially in complex signal structures. Or not for you?
View attachment 325481 View attachment 325482
Not quite sure what you are suggesting. Can you give an example of what might be a better overview or faster work?

weme

Not quite sure what you are suggesting. Can you give an example of what might be a better overview or faster work?
As my hardcopies above show, the analysis function (blue rectangle with Freq: ... / Level: ...) obscures neighbouring frequencies in the current version. The lower edge of the rectangle points to the amplitude (Level) of the signal.
Edit:
It is not recognisable whether it was positioned on the peak of a signal or a little lower.
This refers to complex signal structures with very small frequency spacing and possibly almost the same amplitudes.

My exemplary suggestion:
Place the analysis function (blue rectangle with Freq: ... / Level: ...) at a different location and highlight the location marked with the mouse (signal) with a cross.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
As my hardcopies above show, the analysis function (blue rectangle with Freq: ... / Level: ...) obscures neighbouring frequencies in the current version. The lower edge of the rectangle points to the amplitude (Level) of the signal.
Edit:
It is not recognisable whether it was positioned on the peak of a signal or a little lower.
This refers to complex signal structures with very small frequency spacing and possibly almost the same amplitudes.

My exemplary suggestion:
Place the analysis function (blue rectangle with Freq: ... / Level: ...) at a different location and highlight the location marked with the mouse (signal) with a cross.
you can disable the panel any time you like.
You can also choose to do so when you use capture.

dis.PNG

or you can maximize the window a little more.

weme

you can disable the panel any time you like.
You can also choose to do so when you use capture.

or you can maximize the window a little more.
I am aware of this, but it does not help here:
Please note our very different signal spectra and the basement area where the red cross is located in my case (#3,610). In addition, complete spectra (amplitude, frequency) and not just spectra of audio signals are analysed here. Only in special cases do I use the additional option of scaling the area to be analysed accordingly.

A function that marks a signal peak to be analysed and does not cover it would be analogous to my memory oscillographs:
REW does this with one limitation.
MTA offers the advantage of automatic signal recognition of amplitude and frequency (analysis function). This is great, precise and saves a lot of time! The window of the analysis function is centred on the displayed signal, the lower edge of the window is the selected signal amplitude - ideal for signals that are free-standing or a few "centimetres away" from other signals.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Please note our very different signal spectra and the basement area where the red cross is located in my case (#3,610). In addition, complete spectra (amplitude, frequency) and not just spectra of audio signals are analysed here. Only in special cases do I use the additional option of scaling the area to be analysed accordingly.

A function that marks a signal peak to be analysed and does not cover it would be analogous to my memory oscillographs:
MTA offers the advantage of automatic signal recognition of amplitude and frequency (analysis function). This is great, precise and saves a lot of time! The window of the analysis function is centred on the displayed signal, the lower edge of the window is the selected signal amplitude - ideal for signals that are free-standing or a few "centimetres away" from other signals.
Oh,I see what you mean now,a panel outside the window for the highlighted,chosen area,right?
Not the worst idea.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rather than putting the tracker display in one position on the plot, I'll just move it further away from the point that it's displaying, so it doesn't cover it up. Something like this, perhaps? Will that work?

1699806228676.png

I like to be able to look at the point on the plot and see the values as I move the mouse around. Putting it on the bottom will require me to constantly look from one place to the other, seems a little less convenient.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Preview v1.0.98 is now available: https://app.box.com/s/ue7ll9xmvwogst817x2l1xg09opvgy47

This has a couple of minor changes and a bug fix:
  • The mouse coordinate tracker display is moved further up so as to not obscure where the mouse is pointing
  • Added the option to display THD panel with or without the list of harmonics
  • Fixed the save plot image option reversing PNG and JPEG image formats
The "No Harmonics" option is under Show THD Panel setting. Show: Yes and No options remain available, as before:
1699810769699.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
Found nothing broken :(

(is there any chance we can define our own file for putting the recordings? )

morillon

Major Contributor
Preview v1.0.98 is now available: https://app.box.com/s/ue7ll9xmvwogst817x2l1xg09opvgy47

This has a couple of minor changes and a bug fix:
  • The mouse coordinate tracker display is moved further up so as to not obscure where the mouse is pointing
  • Added the option to display THD panel with or without the list of harmonics
  • Fixed the save plot image option reversing PNG and JPEG image formats
The "No Harmonics" option is under Show THD Panel setting. Show: Yes and No options remain available, as before:
View attachment 325724
Is the idea of a w&f for vinyl and tape a bit abandoned?
;-)

Top Bottom