• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blacklisting Reviewers.

audiosciencestudent

Forum Donor
I hate dislike these people as much as any of you, maybe more. But a blacklist is a really bad idea. It can lead places we don't want to go. Our society is based on tolerating repugnant people and repugnant ideas ... as long as two things are true:

1) Those in opposition are free to express themselves in counterpoint, and
2) The majority of people in this country as well as the courts see no criminal activity worthy of action resulting from those repugnant people or ideas.

Those of us who favor truth in packaging, so to speak, satisfy #1.
As to my opinion about #2 (and I think members here know what my opinion is), the majority of people, and the courts also, disagree with me. That doesn't mean that most people approve of scam artists, it just means that taking action against them is low on their list. It's like eradicating sewer rats; it may sound like a good idea, but it's not worth all the trouble.

It's lamentable, but it is what it is. Money talks, everybody walks. :(

Jim
There is a limit to everything.
There is a limit to how much BS which can be tolerated. How come doing the "right thing" has been reduced to being ok/point of view of a few people and the BS has become the acceptable norm of the majority ?
Instead of being laughed at these people have become "celebrities'" with a following ?
They can go ahead and talk about the purity and essence of the sound, I'm not stopping them but I have the right to make a list of all the clowns and post it here.

audiosciencestudent

Forum Donor
I only buy what Amir and Crinacle tell me to.

So far, so good. :)
Same here, in my case I will be resetting and starting fresh now .. just downloaded the 2 charts on the DAC and AMP ratings which Amir publishes.
Currently figuring out how to read the specs with help of some books on digital audio and google, hopefully I will be able to learn and make the right decisions.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
My method is: If they make a face like this:
temp.JPG
I ignore them.

{57C212DC-6B57-4E45-BB4B-F8078EDB5565}.png

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

radix

Major Contributor
I'd find a list of worthwhile reviewers much more useful. One cannot exclude one's way out of YT hell.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Reviewers and YouTubers that recommend everything should be blacklisted. They really harm the small guy and all aspiring audiophiles.
Hmm...

But often small companies can't produce competitive products and need reviewers that recommend everything

If anything it's exactly because of reviewers who recommend everything that we have $1000 cables from small companies being recommended

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I'd find a list of worthwhile reviewers much more useful. One cannot exclude one's way out of YT hell.

Besides, nobody is always wrong (or right). No matter what you think of someone’s earlier output, there may be something interesting or useful (or at least worth engaging with) in what they‘ll say in the future. That’s not to say you should subject yourself endlessly to painfully repetitive tripe, but I think blacklisting as a concept is stupid.

1699599448107.jpeg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As a general rule I dislike censorship and blacklists. Better have people make a fool out of themselves in public and make sure others have the capability to recognize the foolishness.

Education is the answer not authoritarianism.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I don't think the OP really meant "blacklist"... more so, a list of channels to avoid for factual information.

It is important incorrect information is pointed out, so without anyone watching who knows what is correct... they could be given free reign to spread FUD.

JSmith

delta76

Major Contributor
Amir even hosts the images that we paste all over his site. There must be several TB of uploaded images on his servers! Thanks boss!
To the OP, I think you are using a broad brush, but I understand the sentiment.
not only that I believe he pays for shipping back (things that were sent to him to review), and with insurance in certain cases. as many of the equipment he reviews are heavy and bucky and expensive, the cost is very substantial

as anyone has to earn a living - and for most influencers, it comes from ads revenue, affiliated sales etc., so you will almost always have a conflict of interest. that set Amir apart from most influencers. Sadly the reputable are fewer and further in between https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/reputable-youtube-channels.35172/

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not stopping them but I have the right to make a list of all the clowns and post it here.
A personal list is something different from an ASR-endorsed official list of blacklisted outlets.

What I would be for though, is a community-endorsed and voted yearly Audiophile Darwin Award for the review with the most, best/worst, and greatest audiophile nonsense. Submissions can be filed until October 31st of each year, and people can vote until Christmas. January 1st, the winner will be announced in an ASR New Year special show, obviously hosted by @amirm himself! I might not be for blacklisting, but I'm all for ridiculing :cool:

JSmith

Master Contributor
That is the same thing, isn't it...
Yes pretty much, but I took it more as a computing definition (possibly incorrectly), i.e. literally blocking the channels at a network level, rather than just choosing not to view them.

Where is the OP anyway? Has been online, but hasn't commented since starting a clearly controversial thread... 6 posts in 2.5 years.

JSmith

Top Bottom