• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Vinyl is like Ben&Jerrys you can have and enjoy any flavour you like, as long as the record rotates at more or less the correct speed, it is a movable feast.
Keith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vinyl is like Ben&Jerrys you can have and enjoy any flavour you like, as long as the record rotates at more or less the correct speed, it is a movable feast.
Keith
I take exception to this comparison. Ben & Jerry produces among the best ice creams commercially available .. Blind tested .err... Tasted :p CLICK HERE ....
OTOH you have that ugly contraption, that cannot perform better than an iPhone + Apple dongle, while costing three hundred times more !!!.
So next time, do not make such inappropriate comparison... I mean comparing this to B&J!!! Them of the spectacular "Cherry Garcia" flavor!! Come on Man! :mad:

:cool:

Peace

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You are right vinyls replay is like Pot Noodles …
note the hip use of ‘vinyls’!
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Is it, looks like just another belt driven turntable, albeit it massive and massively expensive.
Keith

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I've never heard a defect caused by a turntable unless it was super-cheap or broken. I've heard rumble (or other "mechanical" or motor noises) from a BSR or Garrard "record player" and I've heard speed problems (slow or wow) from a worn-out belt or drive wheel.

And I've heard different frequency response from different cartridges. Or at least I think I did... I never had a setup to properly A/B or ABX.

On the other hand, I've never heard a perfect record.

NoMoFoNo

I've never heard a defect caused by a turntable unless it was super-cheap or broken. I've heard rumble (or other "mechanical" or motor noises) from a BSR or Garrard "record player" and I've heard speed problems (slow or wow) from a worn-out belt or drive wheel.

And I've heard different frequency response from different cartridges. Or at least I think I did... I never had a setup to properly A/B or ABX.

And you never will. In 2023 phono is a silly Rube-Golberg means of playback, certainly workable enough and relatively 'high fidelity' when it was created many decades ago, but it's around today primarily because a few hipster influencer types latched onto it a few years ago and created the 'vinyl revival'. I can scarcely watch a movie anymore without gratuitous record playing in at least one scene. I have records and listen to them, but it's a nostalgic indulgence that costs a small fortune these days.

The creators of this Oma turntable have made their living in a world of audiophilia-as-jewelry long enough to know that there are plenty of well-heeled hobbyists who happily breath in their own farts and who will pay exorbitant prices for these monstrosities, just like there are people who will pay huge for abstract art pieces or baubles made of gold and stones. How can these machines not, in the minds of these rarified and pampered oligarchic buyers, not sound ethereally glorious? The unwashed are simply jealous and should get on with cleaning up after their masters.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Have you ever heard a perfect CD, SACD, stream, reel to reel, speaker, etc?

I am yet to hear perfect anything in Hi Fi, speaking only for myself.

It all falls short of the goal, so I hesitate to run with the *sniff* posts about any one type of playback or gear.

I believe you when you say you've heard different cartridges sound different from one another, that should not be controversial or agitate the A/B or ABX robots at all!

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Have you ever heard a perfect CD, SACD, stream, reel to reel, speaker, etc?

I am yet to hear perfect anything in Hi Fi, speaking only for myself.

It all falls short of the goal, so I hesitate to run with the *sniff* posts about any one type of playback or gear.

I believe you when you say you've heard different cartridges sound different from one another, that should not be controversial or agitate the A/B or ABX robots at all!
How would you know it was perfect unless you were in the studio at the time the recording was made?

Anton D

How would you know it was perfect unless you were in the studio at the time the recording was made?
If that's the criteria, fine by me, 100%...none are known to be perfect, so we can relax and enjoy ourselves without the runaround about some poor guy thinking he has to do DBT to pick a phono cartridge.

I am with you, sir!

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Anton D

Depends on your definition of perfect.

I've heard digital sources produce an audibly perfect representation of the encoded music.
I'd love to hear the circumstances, DBT, A/B, A/B/X, of course. Otherwise, sighted bias must be invoked. ;)

I think DonR might take issue with that claim unless you were in the studio at the time the recording was made.

(Actually, I believe you, but that steps into the realm of subjectivism.)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on your definition of perfect.

I've heard digital sources produce an audibly perfect representation of the encoded music.
Almost all digital sources do that :) playing the source material, it can be a bit hair splitting with for example 24/196 where the format is better than the playback and the recording but in most cases you practically get what’s on the recording, maybe you exchanged recording noise to noise made by your player.. :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(Actually, I believe you, but that steps into the realm of subjectivism.)
No, it doesn't. Measurements are sufficient to show that noise and distortion from a digital source are below the level of audibility.

If there are no errors in the delivered data (you can hear it if there is), and the DAC has such low levels of noise and distortion, the result is audibly perfect.

Anton D

No, it doesn't. Measurements are sufficient to show that noise and distortion from a digital source are below the level of audibility.

If there are no errors in the delivered data (you can hear it if there is), and the DAC has such low levels of noise and distortion, the result is audibly perfect.
With sighted listening, you can hear that there are no errors...that's pretty awesome! I commend that! (I'm still thinking there is some subjective sighted event happening, but I take your word for it. Hearing that perfection is the epitome of the hobby, after all.)

Which audibly perfect speakers are involved?

This is what I call "end point" fidelity. Nowhere to go!

I like all formats, but have never heard audible perfection.

DonR

Major Contributor
With sighted listening, you can hear that there are no errors...that's pretty awesome! I commend that! (I'm still thinking there is some subjective sighted event happening, but I take your word for it. Hearing that perfection is the epitome of the hobby, after all.)

Which audibly perfect speakers are involved?

This is what I call "end point" fidelity. Nowhere to go!

I like all formats, but have never heard audible perfection.
Errors in the digital stream that are not corrected are usually very apparent to most listeners.

If your goal is perfection in reproduction vs the format, then CD, SACD or stream would be sufficient up to and including the DAC (in most cases). Amplifiers could be lumped in there as well for the most part. Speakers are an exercise in tradeoffs, especially wrt the listening room. If your goal is perfection wrt the original performance by the musicians, my previous comment stands.

Top Bottom