• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR/amirm has opened my eyes.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to admit it was sorta fun like watching a car crash kinda of way.
More like demolition derby with Amir in a 75 Ford LTD wagon and everyone else in early Datsuns.

Todd k

Forum Donor
I don't think I have been to Audiogon and I will probably never go there. The commentary about it has been horrendous. :facepalm: I'll spare myself the time and energy. Besides ASR I have videos ongoing and music ongoing while I read ASR and that's more than enough to occupy my brain. :D
Wise move grasshopper. That is the all ears forums, no measurements needed. 20 years ago it was about the only place to get opinions and recommendations on gear, sadly mostly subjective. Huge amounts of snake oil has been peddled on that site over the years. There were some very good members who gave great advice but today it’s just awful.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wise move grasshopper. That is the all ears forums, no measurements needed. 20 years ago it was about the only place to get opinions and recommendations on gear, sadly mostly subjective. Huge amounts of snake oil has been peddled on that site over the years. There were some very good members who gave great advice but today it’s just awful.
I almost bit on going to see the demolition derby analogy of @amirm fending off all the subjectivists but I decided that I've seen most of that stuff and it's associated peeps before when I worked in home audio sales. I've had enough audio gear rubbish for one life... :D

OP
A

afinepoint

Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR.

Adding to NTK's post, even if you want a fully assembled 1200AS2 amp, Nord for example has it for £749 without the tube adding harmonics.

But I would definitely go Purifi or NCoreX instead.
Emailed Nord and Hypex.

Todd k

Forum Donor
I almost bit on going to see the demolition derby analogy of @amirm fending off all the subjectivists but I decided that I've seen most of that stuff and it's associated peeps before when I worked in home audio sales. I've had enough audio gear rubbish for one life... :D
I found it very entertaining in a weird dark way. Doodski go read it. It will only make you run back to this place like a world champion sprinter. By the way I always enjoy reading your post, you sir are one of the best on this site, thanx.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I found it very entertaining in a weird dark way. Doodski go read it. It will only make you run back to this place like a world champion sprinter. By the way I always enjoy reading your post, you sir are one of the best on this site, thanx.
WoW! Thank you for the kind encouraging words. I've been minimizing my commentary lately and weaning myself off too much off topic commentary. :D I'll try and chip in more. :D I've opened the Audiogon discussion and I will skim and scan it. :D

Todd k

Forum Donor
It’s about a thousand to 3 in terms of what Amir is up against over there but he does an incredible job of explaining what he does in a reasoned an well tempered way and he is just getting slandered left an right. Kudos for Amir keeping his cool in the middle of that snake venom.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Emailed Nord and Hypex.
Apollon is not the fastest to ship but the quality is great.

And a step up.

Or boXem has also very nice monos.

anome

The boxem is nice kit, auto on / off is great. I replaced a pair of Hypex UcD400HGwHxR that I built ~14 years back (linear PS), unfortunately one popped on me.

khensu

That's nothing compared with whats going over here. Have to admit Amir holds his ground well but I am biased.
Holy crap. I just fell down that rabbit hole for, like, 2 hours. There are some massive egos in play, and I may also be biased, but Amir seems quite cool-headed in comparison.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello to all,

Yes I've just registered and though this is my first post I've visited and read ASR for some time. It has always been a part of my research for gear. This is not a trolling. I wasn't sure where best to post so moderators kindly move it as required.

I've read the subjects here, tucked away the data and comments and continued on my way. I do feel however the need to chime in on the review of the PS Audio Gain Cell from years ago. I know it's an older post but I've just started researching DACs and the Gain Cell among them. Being the replies in that post are well over 130 pages I thought to simply make a new post as I was not sure if my reply would even be seen.

Why comment on what is a well worn post? Because I read digested and had a revelation which has profoundly changed my opinion on equipment reviews.

In that post amirm was asked if he had done listened to the DAC to which he replied he didn't have the time. At first that annoyed me as how could you review a piece of "audio" equipment with hearing it. That's half of a review. I left and thought about things for sometime and then came to my revelation. He didn't have to listen to the Gain Cell nor any piece of equipment. That's not it seems his purpose. He is giving and explaining the raw data and letting the reader decide what to do with it. His listening would only tell me what his ears heard.

I realized going strictly by a reviewer"s aural experience is like asking him how he liked his meal. Sit people around a table and give them the exact same dish and you'll Iikley get different opinions. Too salty, not salty enough, too spicy, too bland etc. Now I will say like this meal if there is a consensus among reviewers that agree the speakers for instance sound bright or the pre amp is giving the music a sense of warmth then it probably is. There is solid agreement across the board that tubes add warmth. So they do.

I appreciate what amirm is doing and find worth in it. Do I understand all the graphs and lingo? No, but that's on me to figure out.

I have visited and posted in the PS Audio forum asking for input on the M series of amplifiers. I also found worth in those replies but they were subjective so I had to take them for that.

I will state there is a serious Hatfields and McCoy's feud between these two forums which makes it more difficult to filter facts. Yelling and hurling insults dilutes the credibility of those doing so and stains the validity of their comments and too the platform in this case the forum. This circling of the wagons is needless. Opinions are just that. I believe it was a Seafair that casted a dissenting view and was absolutely pummeled which immediately put him/her on the defensive. We can certainly agree to disagree.

PS Audio"s reply by Paul using the word poo and his refusal to address amirm's response left me disgusted. I definitely will not be buying that Gain Cell which I had been researching. Further it puts the purchase of a set of M1200s in jeopardy. His comments really put me off. I also have always found his videos condescending. Why can't he just answer the question without pontificating.
I've called PS Audio more than once before and spoken with the sales/tech and I felt they were telling me what I wanted to hear. I'll probably ask about those M1200 amps here in a separate post.

Fortunately I have a backup amp should the M1200s fall through. Tonewinner AD 1PA.

In conclusion thanks to amirm and ASR. Keep up the good work.

Thank again.

Afinepoint
Am no fan of PS Audio (I prefer to call them BS Audio myself), and the assumption of what some subjectively "share"....meh. Never have liked much of the subjective only audio crowd either.

Reactions: EJ3

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy crap. I just fell down that rabbit hole for, like, 2 hours. There are some massive egos in play, and I may also be biased, but Amir seems quite cool-headed in comparison.
I sensed the same. Politics of dancing and silliness where there and debatable; all involved seemed lucid enough to be held responsible for their statements. @amirm shoved through the agenda very succinctly with style and grace while not budging a inch other than to compare subjectivists to objectivists in the music listening experience. Yes, I do envision graphs and such while laying back and chillaxin. So I am in the different group. It has saved my bacon right down to the physics thinking as I was dozing off, dreaming it and learning it that has served me well. Wow! But what a hole. :D

dweeeeb2

ASR showed me how deceiving our brains can be when it comes to sound. It was actually a life changing event. I totally understand how people are passionate about what they hear, it normal. Thing is, unless you blind test it, and I mean actually blind test it, forget it.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The intent of Audiogon was to be a buying/selling space for high end gear. It was replaced by eBay and hasn't really been relevant for 10+ years. There are still some very smart people that comment there, but not as much as when it first started. If you have a sexy tube amp you want to sell for top dollar, it might just be the first place I’d recommend though.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Holy crap. I just fell down that rabbit hole for, like, 2 hours.
I just search the last few pages for "Amir-ASR"... as the only interesting parts are when Amir replies to one of the members. The rest is completely predictable... to me anyway.
Reading that thread leaves me wondering how we humans ever managed to advance as far as we have ...
EF711CCC-9E07-4C7B-80C6-0FA216C2951A.gif
;)

JSmith

OP
A

afinepoint

Forum Donor
From Hypex sales:

Thank you for your interest in our NCx500 amplifier. If you google for Hypex NCx500 you will find several customers from us like IOM, Apollon, Nord acoustics, VTV, Buckeye, Deercreek to name a few. All have good products with good prices.

If you want another step upwards in quality you could check out our Nilai500DIY mono kit: https://www.diyclassd.com/products/diy-amplifier-kits/nilai500diy-500w-mono-power-amplifier-kit

This is really the next generation Class D amplifier. Unfortunately, the mono kits have a long lead time but we also have a stereo kit with a few available now: https://www.diyclassd.com/products/diy-amplifier-kits/nilai500diy-250w-stereo-power-amplifier-kit

Top Bottom