• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
If you go by pro definition, nearfield is up to 1.5m. 3 meters puts you in the far field category.

Na, nothing profoundly different from their portfolio. It's merely merging the W371 with a coax main in one enclosure (technically 2, but partically 1).

Of course, they go futhers, with the main augmented by quad mid drivers--which is the only departure from their past designs-- to enhance directly and boost SPL + a 15" woofer to account for the octaves 7 and 8.

Let's see: MDF + aluminum wave guide + true and tried drivers (I believe the only newly designed drivers are the quad, which are build in-house), all seem part of their heritage Even the shape of the main harks back to their original old-school designs.
It's strange they'd didn't use aluminum also on the bottom part

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's strange they'd didn't use aluminum also on the bottom part
Just think about what it would take to cast something of that size and the resulting weight. It’s insane.

However, I have seen much taller Krell speakers back around 2002 which were cast aluminum but I doubt it was a single piece. Probably 2 pieces. It was impressive. They seemed to have been 6 feet tall.

The kicker is that I had at that point in my life listened to some $100k+ (in 2002 dollars) systems. But these actually did sound amazing. I stood right in front though very close. So that was probably the factor.

They were something like $45k in those dollars. Which meant that was a lot of money. Probably a bit more than these Genelecs inflation adjusted.

They were the first speakers to actually impress me.

Though you had to be standing to be on axis:

1684608773462.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Genelec said they don't need a sub
but some comments here said they need a sub
What's is more correct ?

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But in theory you can define them as full range ? :)
Don’t know why I am answering your pedantic questions but: flat to 28 hz, -3 dB at 24 hz, -6 dB at 20 hz. Is that full range?

It is fine for music production as it is flat throughout the range of ‘real world’ instruments. There are a handful of movies which have lower tones. These are clearly meant for large rooms, but the rolloff is low enough that room gain can extend that low end response unless the room is truly massive.

Would you buy a sub for 15 hz - 25 hz? I wouldn't, but I an also not in the market for $75k/pair speakers.

TurtlePaul

I can't think of 15" woofers in aluminum enclosure. Probably the aluminum resonates at high SPL/ lower FR.
No, as juliengst demonstrated with his Magico example, an all aluminum box of this size is 400 lbs. Aluminum resonates above 10 khz, that isnt the problem. But Genelec is an engineering firm: the cost of forging and shipping that big of a metal box is too much for no gain.

dedobot

On topic , yesterday stumbled upon at :
Genelec 8381a page key technologies / active crossover :
"Each driver has its own signal processing and power amplifier."
Does it mean 9 amps and 9 dsp crossovers per body ? Impressive.

juliangst

Does it mean 9ams and 9 crossovers per
How do they individually power 9 drivers with 2 speakon cables? Is there a speakon version with more than 8 pins?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it mean 9 amps and 9 dsp crossovers per body ? Impressive.
You’re most probably right and I wasn’t thinking. Probably the top unit has 6 channels to implement midbass steering.

The bottom only has 3 drivers so 3 channels. Maybe even the same 6 channels bridged into 3.

Top Bottom