• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Why is there a need for 3 woofers ?
Do they all play the same frequencies or are the bottom 2 more like subs ?
Also why ars the bottom 2 woofers opposing , is there any purpose to that?

Cardiod control uses additional woofers side and/or rear for cancellation of the front wave radiation (to the side/rear at the lowest frequencies). I expect the available modes are somewhat complex as they have their own crossover frequency range.

Last edited:

Sebastiaan de Vries

How many people in the world have an Atmos speaker system? 20?
That is much more. As "inferior" as it is, soon, most soundbars will transfer to ATMOS (with up-firing ATMOS channels), and we will see a rising trend in spatial audio all-in-one smart speakers. Whether this provides the ATMOS experience at home as intended is highly debatable.. but this is commerce at best.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thomas Lund

Technical Expert
Industry Insider
So, the answer to a request for research in support of a claim, is a personal sighted listening report?
ABX and not personal. Pro listeners easily pick up constant radiated phase despite head movement, when drivers are not displaced, and the listening distance is short. Several had the experience a few days ago during the AES convention at Aalto uni. I also played anechoic recordings of revolving loudspeakers, and then everybody can tell the difference.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is much more. As "inferior" as it is, soon, most soundbars will transfer to ATMOS (with up-firing ATMOS channels), and we will see a rising trend in spatial audio all-in-one smart speakers. Whether this provides the ATMOS experience at home as intended is highly debatable.. but this is commerce at best.
Reminds me of the Quadraphonic headphones in the '70s. :facepalm:

S.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How many people in the world have an Atmos speaker system? 20?
I personally know four people who has, plus me, that is 25% of the world :D

Not to mention that you can view the equipment of members systems on their signatures...

Last edited:

Sebastiaan de Vries

Reminds me of the Quadraphonic headphones in the '70s. :facepalm:

S.
The only difference with quadraphonic in the 70s is that today the giants and content providers push spatial audio forward. It isn't much the consumer wants; it's getting pushed through the consumer's throat. And that makes me believe that spatial audio will eventually be a new standard. Time will tell.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Such a branding exercise. I was looking at the new LG gram ultra slim. Oh yeah it has “atmos” speakers in it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m also staring to wonder for us 110v folks if we need 20A outlets to use this. Because 6000w x 2?

Or rather 3000w x 4. I realize it will never ever draw that from the wall because I have 2 x 1800w of Genelec amplification running on one 110v 15 amp circuit.

Still I doubt you can put all 4 of those amps on a 110v 15A line.

Also does anyone know what they mean by “sonic advisor” services?
If you play it full blast, yeah. Remember music has a substantial peak-to-average ratio.

Sonic advisor probably means they help set it up for you.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ABX and not personal. Pro listeners easily pick up constant radiated phase despite head movement, when drivers are not displaced, and the listening distance is short. Several had the experience a few days ago during the AES convention at Aalto uni. I also played anechoic recordings of revolving loudspeakers, and then everybody can tell the difference.
Makes sense. Whatever phase “distortions” exist in the recording is one thing. I feel like that’s fine.

I just don’t want to add any of my own if I can help it. Same concept behind treating your room. I don’t want to add anything from my room.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you play it full blast, yeah. Remember music has a substantial peak-to-average ratio.

Sonic advisor probably means they help set it up for you.
Yeah it’s very unlikely it will pull that kind of power from the wall. The peaks I believe are handled by capacitors.

Maybe if you played pink noise and fully cranked it up it may trip a circuit breaker.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aaah, great test :)
A way to actually 'hear' polars.
It’s similar to what this guy does to demonstrate his point. Of course on an entirely different level. Starts at 1:30 about 10 seconds.

I wonder if you could hear what the Klippel mic picks up after it does the corrections. So as to avoid the need for an anechoic chamber.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I just don’t want to add any of my own if I can help it. Same concept behind treating your room. I don’t want to add anything from my room.

I agree… but, there are situations where I actually prefer adding phase “distortions” e.g. upmixing stereo to multichannel in order to decorrelate the highly attenuated and delayed surrounds, and, when deliberately using left-right “phase shuffling” to improve the stereo phantom center effect in some certain stereo recordings and (mostly) MCH tracks when played back into traditional stereo pair of speakers in a very dry room.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree… but, there are situations where I actually prefer adding phase “distortions” e.g. upmixing stereo to multichannel in order to decorrelate the highly attenuated and delayed surrounds, and, when deliberately using left-right “phase shuffling” to improve the stereo phantom center effect in some certain stereo recordings and (mostly) MCH tracks when played back into traditional stereo pair of speakers in a very dry room.
Yep there’s a difference between what you choose to add and how you choose to add it vs what a loudspeaker feels like doing without your consent.

I just found this: https://studylib.net/doc/18510796/stereo-shuffling--new-approach-–-old-technique

Very complicated. What exactly does it do? Does it require additional speakers from the L+R or does simulate ambience from the L+R pair?

Last edited:

dedobot

Speaking of Atmos , I wonder how the stereo music sounds thru Atmos installation ?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of Atmos , I wonder how the stereo music sounds thru Atmos installation ?
I don’t think it upmixes at all. I may be wrong. The content has to be created in atmos and then it can be down mixed to stereo.

Easiest way to try is a pair of HomePods.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I’m also staring to wonder for us 110v folks if we need 20A outlets to use this. Because 6000w x 2?

Or rather 3000w x 4. I realize it will never ever draw that from the wall because I have 2 x 1800w of Genelec amplification running on one 110v 15 amp circuit.

Still I doubt you can put all 4 of those amps on a 110v 15A line.

Also does anyone know what they mean by “sonic advisor” services?
Strange thing is that the amps are electrically rated way lower:

So capacitance takes care of the peaks?

Top Bottom