• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Now that the cat is officially (ahem) out of the bag, shoot us with the questions you can't see being answered by viewing the product page or the product brochure. We are here to serve you. :)

Price ? :)
And also, would it be possible in the future to buy just the top section ?

Multicore

Major Contributor
That's the shipping weight. It's manageable as a modular delivery however, they've thought about the logistics.

The top and bottom enclosures are 75 kg each, the amp units are 11 kg each (so 150 kg for the speaker assembly, or 172 kg per side including the amps which can go in a rack, or wherever).
thank goodness for that. otherwise i wouldn't be able to get these

Axo1989

Major Contributor
OK
then maybe they'll make a smaller(and cheaper )10 inch version

Well, 10 or 12 inch would be somewhat adequate, anyway I guess here's a model number free for those. :)

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that the cat is officially (ahem) out of the bag, shoot us with the questions you can't see being answered by viewing the product page or the product brochure. We are here to serve you. :)

Looked for cabinet material and didn’t see mentioned? Aluminum or?

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have not seen an uglier speaker in a long while.
The technology is impressive but for 70K I would rather save up a bit more and get Beolab 90 :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not seen an uglier speaker in a long while.
The technology is impressive but for 70K I would rather save up a bit more and get Beolab 90 :)
I doubt Genelec was going for beauty. These are tools for pros.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Hmmm...not exactly the technological leap I was hoping to see.

Seems to me it's more or less a Hyperion clone, but with four 5" low-mid drivers put onto the horn periphery,
as opposed to the Hyperion having two 8" low-mids firing thru ports in the horn wall.

I call the four 5" drivers in the 8381a low-mids, because they crossover to the single 5" driver in the coax CD unit at 500Hz.

I think putting the four 5"s onto the horn periphery is clever, and is a way to not directly clone the Hyperion. (and maybe avoid a patent).
But i think it's highly probable the Synergy design better replicates a point source thru the approx 250-500Hz range, that the 8381a's four 5"s cover.

Kinda bummed not to see some new steering tech for these low-mids.
Because I'm guesstimating center-to-center spacing on them is about 13" horizontally and vertically.
That equates to a 1/4 wavelength frequency of about 325Hz, where summation begins to suffer above there.
Using a diagonal c-2-c distance of 18", well 1/4 wl starts falling apart at about 190 Hz...even below their approx 250Hz high pass freq.

It's worth noting both the 8381a and Hyperion appear to be cousins upper mid and up, both using a coax 5" & CD. Both crossing to CD around 1.8-2kHz.
It appears the 8381a has the advantage in terms of sub power, if for no other reason than adding a front firing 15" in addition to the two opposed side firing 15"s in both.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of cause you don't grant me the requested honor of being right with my brief speculation about the interference design. Namely, not trying to minimise, running away in ignorance, but to accept interference and use it.
It is not granted as you have neither really explained what you mean with "interference design" (for example destructive) nor shown based on which data you see it. Wooly formulations were used already 3000 years ago at the oracle of Delphi to claim afterwards they were right. ;)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TheWalkman

This whole product launch has me rather perplexed and shaking my head: what was Genelec thinking by hyping this big unveiling? Too, based on some of the snarky comments, is this marketing effort potentially backfiring on them? Is this a Genelec attempt at an Apple-esque event, gone a wee-bit sour?

Thinking outloud:

If the MSRP is truly $75K +/- :

- how many pairs are they forecasting to sell per year? A dozen? Perhaps two dozen?

- who is their target audience - Pro studios who will already be reading about these in trade mags/ blogs, etc? Genelec FanBoys with, "stupid" money (sorry) who are going to buy the most expensive Genelec product no matter what the price.

- how much did they spend to produce the video launch? Granted, as of now, they've had 1162 viewers. Realistically, how many incremental sales will they generate from that video yet how much will the professional production cost of that video add to the cost of each pair of 8381's?

If I were the product manager for a high-end product like these speakers, I'd take a different approach.

- I'd spend my marketing money shipping a speaker (and hydraulic lift) to Amir for testing thus creating some buzz (with the agreement that I could use Amir's comments on the product web page.)

- spend my time talking to pro-audio writers;

- spend my budget attending at well targeted trade shows attended by high-end Genelec dealers rather than creating a great unveiling for a product that is probably priced above 98% of even an, "audiophile" audience like ASR.

To me, this, "great unveiling" really missed the mark. Apparently a very nice speaker but very silly marketing.

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
It's expensive for sure
But what's disappointing about it?
Price-innovation-materials

For 70k i expected a lot more than the same materials of 149 usd speakers, at this point you gotta be crazy rich, studios are professional… and cuz you are professional you dont want to buy the expensier thing for doing the same task

Top Bottom