• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING MX3s

NoxMorbis

Quite an All-in-One unit, may be intended for desktop use but Too low power specs may be !!!
Something similar with 2 x MA12070 or TPA3250/3255 could be amazing!
I was thinking the same thing, although I had a Douk G3, their original amp, and it had one 3116D at 19V, which is 2 x 21W Into a 8-Ω BTL Load at 19 V (form the spec sheet), half that to get the class D down to 1% THD of less, and you get about 11 watts per channel. It was plenty driving my Klipsch R51-M speakers in a small living room.

But I am thinking the same thing. x2 the MA12070

How does the MA12070 stack up against the 3255 distortion and other wise?

I just picked up the Aitima 08 Pro. Today I think I will order the MX3s and se how they sound to me head to head. I like the Topping having auto sleep and wake function.
Quite an All-in-One unit, may be intended for desktop use but Too low power specs may be !!!
Something similar with 2 x MA12070 or TPA3250/3255 could be amazing!
I was thinking the same thing. It would have been nice to x2 the amp chip, even at a little moret cost.

I just bought the Aiyima 08 Pro. I like that the MX3 has auto sleep and wake functions. The 08 doesn't, and the topping also has a newer Bluetooth chip than the 08 Pro: The O8 Pro uses the QCC5125 whereas the MX3s uses the QCC3040. Although, the MX3s doesn't support LDAC.

I had the original Douk G3 that had a single 3116D. It would do:
THD+N Total harmonic distortion + noise 0.1%: VCC = 21 V, f = 1 kHz, PO = 25 W (half-power @ 4 Ohms) (PDF file from TI, section 6.6) . But that's REALLY low distortion. So about 13-14 watts into 8 Ohms. I never had a problem with volume in a small living room with the Klipsch R51-M speakers. They are rated at 93dB though.

So you get more than twice the 3116D power from the MX3s @ 8ohms, but we don't know what THD, just 1% or less at 30 watts and 8 Ohms.

Wish we had more information on it.

I was thinking about picking up the MX3s and doing a head to head listening test to see which I prefer. According to their statements, it will do 30w per channel at less than 1% THD into 8 Ohms.

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

Waiting on reviews for this. I have a small desk setup where this could work well to save up some space. Currently have a Schiit Sys preamp for allowing switch between computer and Roon (Chromecast streamer here), into a Sabaj a10h hp amp, then into a TPA3116 amp for powering the desktop single Fostex driver Kanspeas on the desk. I realize there are existing decent all in ones like the dx3pro+ but I think in either case, I have to find a way to support 2 analog inputs, or get one of those mini Toslink cables for the Chromecast.
I don't think the DX3Pro has a sub out, though?

Hatto

How do you guys think this compares to the Aiyima 08 Pro?
I'd expect them to be in the same same ballpark, with MX3s being marginally better, judging from how PA3s compares to the A08. There's catch though: IF Topping unit's measurements are taken from digital inputs to the speaker output, they represent the total distortion of all audio pathway, while A08 is just that of the amp. When you add the distortion of other components in front of A08, you'd probably end up with even lower SINAD.

delta76

Major Contributor
SINAD 93 and about 58W into 4 ohms (THD+N 1%). Looks like a great all in one!

Their published measurements, made in APx555b, have been reliable so far.
Looks great. I am tempted. Does anyone know if they ship from EU warehouse to EU addresses?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their published measurements, made in APx555b, have been reliable so far.
Well, I begg to differ. Theirs are usually A-weighted + flavoured, when given at the voltage/power when THD+N is better contained.

Anyway, SINAD is the least of our concerns with Topping. My bet is that MX3S won't be reliable at all.

Zek

Major Contributor
So you get more than twice the 3116D power from the MX3s @ 8ohms, but we don't know what THD, just 1% or less at 30 watts and 8 Ohms.
According to the diagram for the power of the amplifier at 8 ohms it seems to have about 23W with 0.002% THD+N.

mx3s-power-8ohm.jpg

ampguy

Too many unknowns on this for me to jump on, as where I would use it, I have a solution I'm fine with, which is low volume computer speakers, occasional headphones, and roon end point.

It could potentially replace 3 little boxes with one on the desk, but the unknown concerning me most is the toggle between roon and computer is a hefty push button toggle on a schiit sys switcher that i am used to. If toggling between digital source and line level on mx3s is a knob press, and a turn, that's a deal killer as I'm toggling all day. HP use does that toggle on sabaj a10h but fortunately HP use is rare here.

For me, I don't like the rotary encoder or remote use at desk, I like switches, even if the mini toggles, for gain, HP preamp, etc. If I used HP more at this desk, I would ditch the fine sounding a10h for something with switches.

NoxMorbis

Too many unknowns on this for me to jump on, as where I would use it, I have a solution I'm fine with, which is low volume computer speakers, occasional headphones, and roon end point.

It could potentially replace 3 little boxes with one on the desk, but the unknown concerning me most is the toggle between roon and computer is a hefty push button toggle on a schiit sys switcher that i am used to. If toggling between digital source and line level on mx3s is a knob press, and a turn, that's a deal killer as I'm toggling all day. HP use does that toggle on sabaj a10h but fortunately HP use is rare here.

For me, I don't like the rotary encoder or remote use at desk, I like switches, even if the mini toggles, for gain, HP preamp, etc. If I used HP more at this desk, I would ditch the fine sounding a10h for something with switches.
I like switches too, but they do because of space contraints.

NoxMorbis

I'd expect them to be in the same same ballpark, with MX3s being marginally better, judging from how PA3s compares to the A08. There's catch though: IF Topping unit's measurements are taken from digital inputs to the speaker output, they represent the total distortion of all audio pathway, while A08 is just that of the amp. When you add the distortion of other components in front of A08, you'd probably end up with even lower SINAD.
How do the different chips compare on paper: 3255 vs MA12070?

"IF Topping unit's measurements are taken from digital inputs to the speaker output, they represent the total distortion of all audio pathway, while A08 is just that of the amp."

Wasn't the 08 tested here for distortion?

Hatto

How do the different chips compare on paper: 3255 vs MA12070?
Don't have much of an idea.
Wasn't the 08 tested here for distortion?
Yes, the distortion values are for RCA analog in >>> speaker out. I just checked to see that Topping's measurements are given for the same pathway for MX3s as well, so ignore what I said.

MX3s clears the -90dB (0.003%) threshold for THD+N from 1W to 23W according to Topping's measurements.

Again, according to Topping, MX3s and PA3s have almost the same SINAD for 2W-25W. So taking ASR's PA3s measurements as the baseline, you can assume the same for MX3s (as ASR measurements), which is under -90dB for 2W-24W.

Either way you look at it, MX3s should be under -90dB (0.003%) noise+distortion where you'll use it the most (2W-23W) while A08 barely drops under -80dB (0.01%) for 1W-10W only, then rises up to -75dB (0.02%) around 25W. That is almost an order of magnitude difference in favor of the MX3s.

If MX3s proves itself to be a reliable piece of gear (unlike the PA5s fiasco), it'd be crowned king (along with Topping MX5) almost all the way up to $900, save for some DIY options, all which lack the extra functionality (DAC, HPA, bluetooth, remote, even volume control etc.) and small footprint advantage.

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

Don't have much of an idea.

Yes, the distortion values are for RCA analog in >>> speaker out. I just checked to see that Topping's measurements are given for the same pathway for MX3s as well, so ignore what I said.

MX3s clears the -90dB (0.003%) threshold for THD+N from 1W to 23W according to Topping's measurements.

Again, according to Topping, MX3s and PA3s have almost the same SINAD for 2W-25W. So taking ASR's PA3s measurements as the baseline, you can assume the same for MX3s (as ASR measurements), which is under -90dB for 2W-24W.

Either way you look at it, MX3s should be under -90dB (0.003%) noise+distortion where you'll use it the most (2W-23W) while A08 barely drops under -80dB (0.01%) for 1W-10W only, then rises up to -75dB (0.02%) around 25W. That is almost an order of magnitude difference in favor of the MX3s.

If MX3s proves itself to be a reliable piece of gear (unlike the PA5s fiasco), it'd be crowned king (along with Topping MX5) almost all the way up to $900, save for some DIY options, all which lack the extra functionality (DAC, HPA, bluetooth, remote, even volume control etc.) and small footprint advantage.
Argh. Not good for the 08 then. This really makes me want to get the MX3s and send the 08 back. :(

Last edited:

Hatto

Argh. Not good for the 08 then. SNR of -75 is not very good. It should be -80 or better. I guess the test here was only for 1-10w? This really makes me want to get the MX3s and send the 08 back. :(
The test covers all power levels available, but A08 only clears the -80dB threshold for the 1-10W interval, while MX3s clears the -90dB threshold for at least the 2-23W interval.

NoxMorbis

The test covers all power levels available, but A08 only clears the -80dB threshold for the 1-10W interval, while MX3s clears the -90dB threshold for at least the 2-23W interval.
I also noticed you use SINAD and SNR. Are you using those interchangeably?

Hatto

I also noticed you use SINAD and SNR. Are you using those interchangeably?
Did I? I don't recall using SNR anywhere in this topic, but SNR and SINAD are not interchangeable:
SNR = Noise/Signal
SINAD = SNR + THD/Signal
Both can be expressed as a percentage or in logarithmic scale as dB.

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

Did I? I don't recall using SNR anywhere in this topic, but SNR and SINAD are not interchangeable:
SNR = Noise/Signal
SINAD = SNR + THD/Signal
Both can be expressed as a percentage or in logarithmic scale as dB.
You did not. My mistake. I didn't see it expressed in the test in percent. The graph gave watts and THD+N, which confused me. Can you hear the difference between the two? I was thinking in terms of % but obviously I need to think better on the subject, since .02% 'seems' really low. The 08 Pro seems dirty now that you point it out like that, and I go back to the graph. Thanks for pointing this out.

Top Bottom