• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s just a potential issue to be aware of that might or might not have a workaround, depending on the use case.

As for class compliance MOTU does not support that on Windows.
Another solution is RME Digiface USB, which has drivers for multichannel WASAPI. It can be hooked to MOTU interfaces through ADAT, which is a hardware version of virtual audio devices.

192kbps

I would normally agree with that, but Topping specifically states on their product page that you have to install their driver for multichannel support on Windows:

View attachment 267060

It would be great if a DM7 owner could actually check whether that's actually the case or not in reality. Given there is no such requirement for Mac, it could be that the DM7 has compatibility issues with the Microsoft UAC2 driver or something. That would be a shame :(
DM7 and other TOPPING products use the same driver. It is not an independent driver.

Trell

Major Contributor
Another solution is RME Digiface USB, which has drivers for multichannel WASAPI. It can be hooked to MOTU interfaces through ADAT, which is a hardware version of virtual audio devices.

That is one solution, but a single-box RME Fireface UCX II might be more convenient, or an older second-hand RME audio interface.

charlielaub

I only use Linux for audio so I can't say for sure how the UMC1820 appears as an audio device under Windoze. Maybe someone else can share their experiences. I also don't watch movies or use movie/surround sound. I am strictly a 2-channel audio guy and use audio interfaces for multi-channel active loudspeaker projects only.

dartinbout

DM7 and other TOPPING products use the same driver. It is not an independent driver.
Stay away from the DM7 if you have aspirations beyond it's beautiful implementation of a simple balanced windows 8 channel multimedia It's an Aladdin's lamp. for watching multichannel video , stored on your PC\Network or music that is natively multichannel. The Topping driver does exactly what it says it will with a minimum of fuss. It won't process your DTS\ATMOS\Dolby hand job or really anything beyond all PCM 8 channels up to 24\192. I've had high end PCM soundcards that flawlessly do all of that since 2005. What the DM7 does (miracle of miracles) is 8 channel DSD128 at a SINAD otherworldly . Please go back to Page 1 of this review and bask in it's beauty. If you want a product to do something different (wash your clothes, discipline your children or use as professional mixing station on a NeXT workstation) look elsewhere.

Signed, A Topping Fan Boi

192kbps

Stay away from the DM7 if you have aspirations beyond it's beautiful implementation of a simple balanced windows 8 channel multimedia It's an Aladdin's lamp. for watching multichannel video , stored on your PC\Network or music that is natively multichannel. The Topping driver does exactly what it says it will with a minimum of fuss. It won't process your DTS\ATMOS\Dolby hand job or really anything beyond all PCM 8 channels up to 24\192. I've had high end PCM soundcards that flawlessly do all of that since 2005. What the DM7 does (miracle of miracles) is 8 channel DSD128 at a SINAD otherworldly . Please go back to Page 1 of this review and bask in it's beauty. If you want a product to do something different (wash your clothes, discipline your children or use as professional mixing station on a NeXT workstation) look elsewhere.

Signed, A Topping Fan Boi
On Windows, VoiceMeter can be used for games, but it will increase latency.
For video, you can buy JRiver and use ASIO mode.
JRiver-setup.png

For Atmos, you can use Dolby Reference Player.

Last edited:

192kbps

Isn’t it going to work with default drivers and windows settings with game playing 7.1 surround sound on windows?
If there are no more than 8 channels, the OS settings will be used. If there are more than 8 channels, only ASIO driver or VoiceMeter will be used.

Groom

What do you mean "soundwise"?
Motu 8 has 110db SINAD according to specs,you think you could distinguish it from a 80db SINAD or a 130db SINAD?
I think someone has to do the Klippel test.
While the Klippel Test is fun, I rely upon my own double-blind tests when evaluating gear.
In my studio and on headphones I could clearly distinguish between the 8A and the DX-7 Pro at the time of testing.
To discern a difference between the DM7 and the DX-7 Pro now is a tough job, indeed.

If all dacs (better than 80dB Sinad) would sound the same, why would anybody choose a decent Topping, Octo, Merging, DAD, Lynx, Prism, Rme etc. over a Behringer or the like?
Cognitive bias?

Having said that, in case somebody can´t distinguish between those dacs in their room, it definitely makes sense to choose a cheaper solution (while the DM7 is already crazy cheap for what it does). ;)

If more people get interested in an 8 channel dac, we might see a DM7 with Adat in the future. Using that with an RME Digiface USB would be a dream come true!

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
While the Klippel Test is fun, I rely upon my own double-blind tests when evaluating gear.
In my studio and on headphones I could clearly distinguish between the 8A and the DX-7 Pro at the time of testing.
If I was experienced something like this I would strongly suspect that something is wrong in my setup,something REALLY wrong or one of the devices is off specs.
There's no way in this world a 110 SINAD DAC (if everything else follows the specs) to sound different than a 115/120/150(!) SINAD one.

The only occasion I can think of is one of two has really poor VC implementation and they are used with really low levels followed by a high gain device (that's also a poor setup anyway)

Groom

Your right. There must be something wrong in my mastering studio. Thank god, my clients didn´t realize it so far...

Hmast

I’m sure they wouldn’t realize if you’re working on an 8A or a DX too. But let’s stop this debate please as it looks like no measurements or ABX results will show up to have everyone agree with each other.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Your right. There must be something wrong in my mastering studio. Thank god, my clients didn´t realize it so far...
If your conditions are that high is a golden opportunity to present us a tightly controlled ABX test between the two of them (or any other over 90-100 SINAD or even higher ones so to prove your claim) and end the long debate here once and for all!

Groom

I already stopped because I have no intention to do any missionary work here.
I also can´t present ABX tests, simply because I don´t own any dac worse than the Toppings any more (why should I?).

I´m still mildly irritated that the belief that all dacs sound the same seems to be common sense on an "audiophile" forum (which I am not, btw.). :cool:

Trell

Major Contributor
I already stopped because I have no intention to do any missionary work here.
I also can´t present ABX tests, simply because I don´t own any dac worse than the Toppings any more (why should I?).

I´m still mildly irritated that the belief that all dacs sound the same seems to be common sense on an "audiophile" forum (which I am not, btw.). :cool:
That’s a typical type of reply from golden ears when asked to backup their claims.

john11

I am using a hidizs s8 at the moment which i purchased on the strength of a good review on this site, how would this topping compare would it be any better

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I am using a hidizs s8 at the moment which i purchased on the strength of a good review on this site, how would this topping compare would it be any better
???? They are such different products that you need to specify what sort of comparison you are looking for. For example, the Hidizs is a 2channel portable device and the Topping is an 8channel, installed system device.

john11

???? They are such different products that you need to specify what sort of comparison you are looking for. For example, the Hidizs is a 2channel portable device and the Topping is an 8channel, installed system device.

Thanks! I mean i know how the hidiz sounds in 2-channel mode, how do you think this compares against the topping in 2 channel mode also

Top Bottom