• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Insanity

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You made me click.. I had promised myself, not to...
It was a good laugh... $59,000.oo and the DAC itself is $225,000.oo.. Quoting from the ... review/paeans/commercial...
its ability to create a palpable sense of three dimensionality, in liquidity of timbre, and in clarity of instrumental line. The Server’s bass is revelatory, resolving pitch, dynamics, and texture in acoustic and electric bass convincingly

What a humongous pile of bovine feces.

Peace.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really tempted to repackage something like an appless streamer (like a $400 iFi Zen Streamer) into a bespoke, heavy, ornate cabinet, and sell it for $99,999.99 for the lulz. Surely someone here has tried this. Maybe that's how all these brands start?
I bet most don't even bother to start with something that good. You can't be too cynical.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Check that optical link:

1676051865941.jpeg

:facepalm:

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Two other fascinating phenomena come to us from the Wadax Reference Server. The first is the astounding improvement made by Wadax’s custom Akasa optical interface between the Server and the company’s Reference DAC. I listened to the Server/DAC pair for a few weeks via USB before installing the Akasa board in the DAC. The difference was staggering, in bass definition and weight, dynamics, and soundstage dimensionality (for starters). This from an interface carrying digital ones and zeros. Even more perplexing, the Reference Server has front-panel controls that adjust the waveshape of the digital signal sent to the DAC. These controls don’t change the digital ones and zeros representing the audio signal, only factors such as the signal amplitude and rise time. How could changing a digital waveform’s shape introduce an analog-like variability to the sound?
Going back to the Wadax Server’s front-panel controls that change the waveshape of the datastream, the difference in the DAC’s analog output signal, on an objective basis, must be immeasurable. Yet these infinitesimal differences are translated by our brains into musical meanings. The Akasa interface better resolves the starts and stops of bass notes and renders more textural detail in the bass. That’s the sonic description. The musical description is hearing how the bass player interacts with the drummer and the ensemble or soloist, allowing us to experience more powerful rhythmic drive and feel a heightened impression of contemporaneous music-making—a charged sense of occasion that you don’t experience to the same degree with the conventional interface.

That's not how this works at all.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If the most expensive DAC is now more than the most expensive TT I fully expect Fremer to be totally okay with digital. The main issue before is it wasn't expensive enough.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the most expensive DAC is now more than the most expensive TT I fully expect Fremer to be totally okay with digital. The main issue before is it wasn't expensive enough.
Quality intimately depends on price, to a certain mindset.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not even close , the MSB whatever is $225,000.oo ...

but for TT there is this contraption/aberration
derenvill-vpm2010-1-1.jpg

Can be yours for $650,000.oo:eek:

Peace.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Open Mind Audio

This is a joke, right? I mean, I think I can write a better fake, over-the-top review than this, but it's not real, right?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a joke, right? I mean, I think I can write a better fake, over-the-top review than this, but it's not real, right?
You should read the product page of the thing for some more comedic relief …

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The dollars are very real...

radix

Major Contributor
That fiber cable looks fancier than military aerospace

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 2.29.45 PM.png

Top Bottom