• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon Nucleus One

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both BluOS and Roon. BluOS is a better remote with real simple dashboard, so if you jump around a lot NAS > Internet Radio > Streaming I find it friendlier and more streaming choices, no computer. With Roon you get PEQ, great music discovery, Roon radio that uses your playing and searches to find new stuff, magazine style format that shows choices from NAS and internet at the same time. I use Roon mostly for the PEQ on my best of three rooms that have music playback and I got it for $500/lifetime and run on old laptop.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adding to my last post, music discovery and backup info on the the BluOS is sparse and almost non-existent, where Roon is music is a wiki on backup on artist, recording, credits, other recordings etc. Also, BluOS works only Bluesound/NAD/Lenbrooke devices so you're stuck buying them for multiroom to use it, but is lifetime, curated, and updated frequently. Roon works across many manufacturers and devices (mix and match) at $15/mo or $700 lifetime.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't come off well in that sentence but no human is an entirely rational being.
Hey, anyone that buys clothes for their appearance instead of going around in gray coveralls would have to cop to the same thing. :)

Buying things for their looks isn't irrational, it's simply allocating some funds to a type of performance that resists quantification.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I believe it is a good move to offer a cheaper entry box for Roon. The price seems Okish, depending on the uplift for Europe. I run Roon on a dedicated 250€ fanless Windows box. It runs fine. But now and then Win11 wants to update itself and even the Pro version does that eventually and then the system is down as Roon does not autostart without logging into windows. So I am open for something new. The thing should be reviewed here in depth.

elberoth

There is a (first?) review with pics:

It seems it uses some basic 4-core Celeron CPU, 8GB RAM and 128GB of (onboard?) storage.

The fan used is similar to the one used in early NUCs (up to 7th gen), so it will be on the louder side after it kicks in.

Looks like a great starter package if you don't use too much DSP and don't mind the fan noise.

Last edited:

markrubin

I wonder if there will be a thread here for the Nucleus Titan, to be released later this year?

marklings

There is a (first?) review with pics:

It seems it uses some basic 4-core Celeron CPU, 8GB RAM and 128GB of (onboard?) storage.

The fan used is similar to the one used in early NUCs (up to 7th gen), so it will be on the louder side after it kicks in.

Looks like a great starter package if you don't use too much DSP and don't mind the fan noise.
A proper starter package for a low spec CPU -> no DSP, No SSD, No WiFi ??? Where with half of that or slightly more you can get a small form factor PC with a proper i5, run all the DSP you need, an SSD and wifi ?

Top Bottom