• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dude explains how active speakers work

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess he's technically correct in the sense that actives typically amplify post-crossover. So if the amp is outputting a garbage signal, it does get to the drivers. So just don't buy a s***y active speaker or plate amp?

This is like saying you shouldn't buy electric cars because they involve high voltages, which are dangerous. Ignoring the reality of the entire actual product landscape as well as all the other practical considerations.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The difference lies not in capabilities, but in ethics.
I appreciate your choice of the verb lies. It seems... deliciously ironic in the context of this thread. ;)

I was expecting a Dude but not this Dude. :D

To say nothing of The Dude.
The-Big-Lebowski-hp-GQ-25Feb16_rex_b.jpg

Come to think of it, I would probably watch hifi review videos presented by The Dude.
... and I hate hifi review videos with depth, breadth, and passion. :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Not GR again. Won already many snake oil awards and is certainly among the top 10 award winners.
I don’t even know why he adds the word Research to his company name.

Sined

My system is a DIY 3 way fully active speakers controlled by a digital crossover (DEQX HDP-4) and a 7 channels amplifier (NAD M27). I have run them for a long time without any capacitor in the tweeter circuit; yes, a little bit of risky business, but I trusted my amplifier that is very quiet and designed (apparently) to prevent any DC to reach the speakers terminals. Never had burned tweeters. But..., even the best amplifiers can go wrong, so... with with my new rather expensive Beryllium tweeters, I decided to move on the safe side and I added a series capacitor tuned at almost 2 octaves below my Xover frequency, so it doesn't interfere with the digital filter slope. The only problem with a series capacitor is the 90 degree phase shift, which in my case is easily detected and corrected by the DEQX processor. So, when done correctly, as far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely no such "G-R" problems with active speakers.

Nwickliff

This is killing me. He's arguing, passive speakers are more flexible...saying you can't change components or crossovers, or preamps or amplification etc. Come on bro!!!!

mj30250

In other words, with active speakers, there's not much left for him to sell you.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

This is killing me. He's arguing, passive speakers are more flexible...saying you can't change components or crossovers, or preamps or amplification etc. Come on bro!!!!
Save your life and get away from YouTube :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I -- honestly -- don't think this video is deserving of two threads discussing it. :rolleyes:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I -- honestly -- don't think this video is deserving of two threads discussing it. :rolleyes:

Do any of his videos deserve much attention at all?

AudiOhm

In one of his crossover update videos he replaced a washer on the binding posts and the sound stage opened up their was better imaging, etc.

Since then, I have no use for him or his company...

Ohms

Nwickliff

Oops. Didn't know it was already posted. I was just frustrated after watching the video. I did purchase his XO upgrade for the RP600m and that was my first intro inrto doing anything with speakers. I'm glad I did it as it fixed the giant dip in the xo and tamed the tweeter a bit. I'm sure the NO RES didn't hurt either. But this is just ridiculous.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor

Duplicate threads merged here.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

dorakeg

He argues that, in an active speaker, an amp amplifies the signal for the tweeter, but the amp is full range, and so PSU humm, DC and low frequency noise still reaches the tweeter and thus reduces sound quality, compared to a passive speaker.

I suspect that tweeters in an active setup still are protected by a capacitor, so that this is just no problem, said humm and DC and whatnot is far below anything that could make a difference for the tweeter.

Same for the woofer, the high freuqency noise is no problem, because it's far below the actual woofer signal, and the woofer is likely not able to render high frequency background noise to anything anyone can hear anyway.

I didn't watch the video. But active speakers are basically just having their dac/pre/power built into the speakers. Passive speakers are built with crossovers because they are designed to work with very amp out in the market.

I do understand where he is coming from. However, those issues he mentioned can be resolved. No doubt all amps are full range. But its entirely possible to limit the output of amps by controlling the input (Eg. with an active crossover), it can be implmented at the preamp side or the DAC side. Power supply hum issues, DC etc etc affects the electronics part. External amps face the same problem too.

I would say the main issue for active speakers is limited space and ventilation. Its not easy to squeeze so many components into a small space.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those of you (like @TheBatsEar) that may not be familiar with GR Research, it reminds me of a twisted evangelical church with Danny (aka Dude) as the preacher. Only he knows good audio and you will only achieve audio heaven by listening to him and buying his products. Just like the evangelical preacher, he needs to constantly repeat his gospel and keep feeding the flock with another chapter of his "wisdom". This video is another chapter. It is his typical mix of some facts (mixed with uniformed or outdated data) attempting to garner mindshare and money from the masses. In this church, expect your claims to be erased if you challenge the preacher's message.

If you are not from the US, Danny has another video for you. Am not posting it, but if you doubt me, please check out his endorsement for Coppice Audio on YouTube. The first part is Danny's commentary on regional terminology, along the way he comments that Europeans do NOT have a strong DIY tradition, :facepalm: and then eventually gets to Coppice Audio's versions of his X-LS Encores.

Am sure the UK audio community was just praying for another audio evangelist! ;) :D

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I didn't watch the video. But active speakers are basically just having their dac/pre/power built into the speakers. Passive speakers are built with crossovers because they are designed to work with very amp out in the market.

I do understand where he is coming from. However, those issues he mentioned can be resolved. No doubt all amps are full range. But its entirely possible to limit the output of amps by controlling the input (Eg. with an active crossover), it can be implmented at the preamp side or the DAC side. Power supply hum issues, DC etc etc affects the electronics part. External amps face the same problem too.

I would say the main issue for active speakers is limited space and ventilation. Its not easy to squeeze so many components into a small space.
GR doesn’t even have a degree in that matter. He always invents a problem which in well engineered speakers (in this case actives) isn’t one, just to sell you his snake oil cross overs which are not even remotely based on some engineering principle but his own religious beliefs of plunking in snake oil components. Just look at the disastrous reviews of some of his contraptions here.
Waste of time and certainly money.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
Not wrong if the active speaker do not filter the unnecessary frequency for the drivers. All ASR review doesn't tear up the studio monitor to measure if the driver are receiving full range or filtered frequency.

Top Bottom