• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dude explains how active speakers work

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not wrong if the active speaker do not filter the unnecessary frequency for the drivers. All ASR review doesn't tear up the studio monitor to measure if the driver are receiving full range or filtered frequency.
That will show in the polar pattern, for obvious reasons.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oops. Didn't know it was already posted. I was just frustrated after watching the video. I did purchase his XO upgrade for the RP600m and that was my first intro inrto doing anything with speakers. I'm glad I did it as it fixed the giant dip in the xo and tamed the tweeter a bit. I'm sure the NO RES didn't hurt either. But this is just ridiculous.
He's a known quantity here. Not in a good way, either.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What science can you base on polar pattern?
Huh? Acoustics? What happens when you have two radiators broadcasting the same signal spaced apart?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

kongwee

Major Contributor
Huh? Acoustics? What happens when you have two radiators broadcasting the same signal spaced apart?
Tweeter and midrange driver will still the same signal, and produce their own frequency response what so hard to understand? There are so many active that doesn't care about filtering frequency.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tweeter and midrange driver will still the same signal, and produce their own frequency response what so hard to understand? There are so many active that doesn't care about filtering frequency.
Uh huh

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You should learn something about speaker design and acoustics before you bother people here with silliness. There are lots of acoustics courses that professors have posted online.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should learn something about speaker design and acoustics before you bother people here with silliness.
You should consider that there is a language problem and that you have to explain with more than just one keyword.
Always make sure the message is detailed enough, so that the receiving end has a chance to understand it's meaning.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You should consider that there is a language problem and that you have to explain with more than just one keyword.
Always make sure the message is detailed enough, so that the receiving end has a chance to understand it's meaning.
I'm an engineer, not a teacher. I'm sure my "explanations" are lacking in any event.

And my one keyword is: read! All this stuff is in books. After a series of falsehoods are hurled at me as facts, I lose patience with someone.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're familiar with kongwee's posting history, language is not likely his biggest problem.
Here is an example comment on one of his posts by one of our most distinguished senior contributors.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're familiar with kongwee's posting history, language is not likely his biggest problem.
Here is an example comment on one of his posts by one of our most distinguished senior contributors.
Lol!!! Missed that one.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you name an example? I wasn't aware there are such speakers.
Firstly, the guy is talking rubbish.
Secondly, to answer your question, just double amp, any bi-wireable speaker.
I had a crack at designing and making my own three way active speaker in 90's.
I used a stereo Meridian 103D amp for mid and treble, and a 105 mono for bass.
Almost 30 years on, it still works (at a friends house), it is switched on 24/7, no noise, no hum, no damage to drivers.
No issues, bar one bass driver flexy surround to start to flake.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Not wrong if the active speaker do not filter the unnecessary frequency for the drivers. All ASR review doesn't tear up the studio monitor to measure if the driver are receiving full range or filtered frequency.
Um... they work by sending filtered signals to each driver. That's what an active crossover does.

The latter.
Both.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
That will show in the polar pattern, for obvious reasons.

No it won’t. The tweeter is not going to emit a 50/60Hz or 100/120Hz hum. It will therefore not affect the polar pattern. The contention here is that a low frequency signal of sufficient amplitude will affect the tweeter’s ability to reproduce high frequencies with low distortion. Whether or not that is true would depend on the driver. In any case, the simple answer is: don’t use amps that hum in active speakers! Or anywhere for that matter.

Sined

I would say the main issue for active speakers is limited space and ventilation. Its not easy to squeeze so many components into a small space.
Seems you're right ! I was given a few defective Dynaudio active studio monitors and I found the same problem in each: over heated circuits !

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Seems you're right ! I was given a few defective Dynaudio active studio monitors and I found the same problem in each: over heated circuits !
If it is properly engineered there is no problem. Why do all the studios and live events use active if they would constantly overheat?

But sorry you got a dud with the Dynaudios.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom