• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Capital Audiofest 2022 - November 11th-13th

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Capital Audiofest is back. I may make Sunday the 13th depending on work travel and how late I get back on the 12th. If I do go my main purpose will be to listen to the Linkwitz LX 521; that's worth $20 and an hour drive. Anyone else planning on going?

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
I hope to attend if I can play hookie that Friday.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A new loudspeaker company that I am associated with will be exhibiting in Room 623, and I'll be there.

OP
Colonel7

Colonel7

A new loudspeaker company that I am associated with will be exhibiting in Room 623, and I'll be there.
Cool - Anything you can share beforehand about the speakers that will be exhibited?

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Cool - Anything you can share beforehand about the speakers that will be exhibited?

The Illusio Alana is a dedicated satellite system; in other words, subwoofers are required.

We've paid a fair amount of attention to the radiation pattern. The Alana has a constant-directivity waveguide and uses pattern-matching in the crossover region, and its stand has an adjustable rear-firing driver. The intention of this unorthodox combination of parts is to combine some of the attributes of a good narrow pattern-speaker with some of the attributes of a good wide-pattern speaker.

Probably within the next week or so information about Illusio and/or the Alana will appear on James Romeyn's website: https://jamesromeyn.com/

And at some point in the not-too-distant future I'll start a relevant thread in the Desperate Dealers forum.

OP
Colonel7

Colonel7

The Illusio Alana is a dedicated satellite system; in other words, subwoofers are required.

We've paid a fair amount of attention to the radiation pattern. The Alana has a constant-directivity waveguide and uses pattern-matching in the crossover region, and its stand has an adjustable rear-firing driver. The intention of this unorthodox combination of parts is to combine some of the attributes of a good narrow pattern-speaker with some of the attributes of a good wide-pattern speaker.

Probably within the next week or so information about Illusio and/or the Alana will appear on James Romeyn's website: https://jamesromeyn.com/

And at some point in the not-too-distant future I'll start a relevant thread in the Desperate Dealers forum.
Thanks Duke - Sounds interesting. I’ll be sure to give it a listen if I make the show.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks Duke - Sounds interesting. I’ll be sure to give it a listen if I make the show.

If you do stop by I'd really like to meet you, so please introduce yourself... just in case I don't recognize you from your avatar...

Curvature

Major Contributor

Looking forward to details of this speaker coming out.

Capitol C

I'll stop by too on Saturday, curious to hear the new speakers.

Capitol C

Can anyone make suggestions on what else to look at? There are lots of brands that I've never heard of and, true to the field, many of them will be filled with snake oil, so it would be good to concentrate on the good brands.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I've heard that Jim Salk is debuting a new Flagship with a couple Purifi Drivers, and the Satori Be Tweet:
1668137963191-png.3357950

Dennis Murphy/Philharmonic Audio is also showing off a new prototype design BMR-HT Tower that should bring sensitivity up to around 90dB (iirc). It is featuring a pair of Purifi Drivers, a pair new Tectonic BMR Drivers and an AMT Tweet:
1668044732665-jpeg.3357560

Wish I was were there! ;)

Rob63

Spent a few hours there today. Among others‚ listened to Perlisten speakers (S7s), KEF bookshelfs, Von Schweikert. Very impressed with the Scansonic and the Raidho speakers. Lots of tube amps and all manner of turntables.

Capitol C

Thanks, ryanosaur and Rob63, for separating some wheat from the chaff!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Thanks, ryanosaur and Rob63, for separating some wheat from the chaff!
My only audio show experience was the California Audio Show in 2019. They haven't held one since but hoping maybe they come back next year. *fingers crossed

It was small enough I was able to check out all the rooms. But absolutely difficult to sift through everything. My rule was walk away from anything that had to do exclusively with cables or specialty amplification (including Tubes). While the amplifiers are cool, I have no desire to own Tubes or large monolithic monoblocks.
Aurender was cool in that they had two rooms: first was just their Streamers which I looked at just because I had no idea... ;) Their second room was a listening room featuring their custom built all-Accuton Speakers in all aluminum cabinets. Not for sale, of course... but one of the best sounding Speakers in the show. :D

Keened

Forum Donor
I've heard that Jim Salk is debuting a new Flagship with a couple Purifi Drivers, and the Satori Be Tweet:
1668137963191-png.3357950

Dennis Murphy/Philharmonic Audio is also showing off a new prototype design BMR-HT Tower that should bring sensitivity up to around 90dB (iirc). It is featuring a pair of Purifi Drivers, a pair new Tectonic BMR Drivers and an AMT Tweet:
1668044732665-jpeg.3357560

Wish I was were there! ;)
Man I wish I was able to wait long enough to grab those new BMR-HT towers o_O

Not that there is anything wrong with the bookshelves, I can't even listen them at full tilt in this current room, but those towers seemed like the perfect do-it-all design that could fit into a smaller room now but grow as the situation required. Also double BMR midrange and double woofers should allow crazy low distortion to ear splitting levels in the critical range.

bjmsam

bjmsam

I look forward to hearing these today after seeing this overview posted yesterday!

Top Bottom