• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

aiyima A09 review by anyone??? can't find info on it at all

Nwickliff

Looking for any info on this amp. Could I use it to power my 2 way active/passive open baffle design?

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Also curious as it looks to be an elegant solution when it comes to setting up a simple 5.1 system.

hemahema

I bought it and using it now...
But I don't know if I'm using it well.
I tried to build a surround system using Bluetooth.
It seems that the sound separation is not clear.
Maybe it's because I'm not good at using it.
or it could be some other problem.
or it's because I'm not knowledgeable.
I need a review who has used it more than me...

OP
N

Nwickliff

I don't think I would use bluetooth for anything more than stereo music. But that's just me. Hard to give advice with such little information.

SMc

Intresting little amp for reasonable money.
I agree. It's hard to find a 5.1 analog input these days. This also shows by contrast what you get with an entry-level receiver if you spend twice as much.

SequimJim

Are you feeding it from a 5.1 sound card from a computer? That should work well.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does this actually support LDAC? The own product page in the link contradicts this.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Does this actually support LDAC? The own product page in the link contradicts this.
I see the contradiction too, as this image says no;

AIYIMA-A9-100W-Power-Amplifier-Surround-Audio-Amp-HiFi-Bluetooth-5-0-Subwoofer-Amplifier-APTX-DSP.jpg

But then the text description says this on the product page and has been copied across to AliExpress etc.;
QCC5125 Bluetooth chip supports APTX/APTX-HD/LDAC
@AIYIMA are you able to clarify?

Also, what is this strange description in the manual all about? ;)

1660446453266.png

JSmith

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah I hope Aiyima clarifies on this; because after Amir's low down on the quality of BT codecs I'm only gonna buy BT devices with LDAC support.

milkii

They changed the Bluetooth SoC, the newer one does receive LDAC.

It only does analogue 5.1, not via optical or coax, so no joy with optical 5.1 extracted from HDMI..

(or, at least, Ali help had no idea, nor did they know about the BT SoC change, they said no then checked and said yes after I pointed out there were two different BT chip versions listed in the description)

Unfortunately there is quiet high pitched swirling phasing noise on the rear left and rear right channels, with all volumes turned down. Swapping rear and front connections and the noise is heard on the other speakers.

Ugh.

Last edited:

mikewill

My review of the A09:
(tl;dr don't buy it)

For the price, the overall sound quality is better than I expected, but this unit is not usable due to some major design issues.

1) The pre-amp LFE (subwoofer) output is not controlled by the main volume knob, so the amount of bass is never consistent with the overall volume; it's just a fixed amount of bass even if the volume knob is at zero. This is absurd and disqualifying on its own.

2) The amount of bass output is so strong I had to set my subwoofer gain below 5%.

3) Even though there is a port for subwoofer in, the actual signal going to the subwoofer is just pulled from the other channels; the subwoofer input seems to be a dummy port, and when it is connected in isolation, no sound goes to the subwoofer.

4) When there is no sound output, even when all input lines are disconnected, a scratchy digital static noise is transmitted to all the speakers, making it awful to leave in standby.

5) It cannot decode DTS or Dolby Digital signals via the fibre optic connection (only standard 2.0), making the optical port practically useless on a product branded to support 5.1, so I had to use RCA cables, and the result was still not true 5.1 for the reasons above.

I am using this Aiyima product with the Klipsch Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Surround Sound System. I bought it because of its small size, hoping it would be good enough, but now I have to go buy a proper name-brand product. This was a waste of money, and I can't imagine it working for any home application.

I did reach out to Customer Service, which was not helpful. Marion asked me to make a video of the problem before they could provide advice, even though I provided detailed information. When I have time, I told them I would create a YouTube review.

SequimJim

Looking for any info on this amp. Could I use it to power my 2 way active/passive open baffle design?
I was thinking of getting one. It seems like it would work well if you take the output from a 5.1 sound card to the inputs of the amp. Right now I'm using two A07's and a small 100 watt mono amp for the center. No sub. Just big speakers. It works great and sounds better than the Denon AV I had that cost $500+ new. The computer does the decoding so if it's not broadcast in surround it's stereo. you can set the levels using the software for the sound card.

overtide

My review of the A09:
(tl;dr don't buy it)

For the price, the overall sound quality is better than I expected, but this unit is not usable due to some major design issues.

1) The pre-amp LFE (subwoofer) output is not controlled by the main volume knob, so the amount of bass is never consistent with the overall volume; it's just a fixed amount of bass even if the volume knob is at zero. This is absurd and disqualifying on its own.

2) The amount of bass output is so strong I had to set my subwoofer gain below 5%.

3) Even though there is a port for subwoofer in, the actual signal going to the subwoofer is just pulled from the other channels; the subwoofer input seems to be a dummy port, and when it is connected in isolation, no sound goes to the subwoofer.

4) When there is no sound output, even when all input lines are disconnected, a scratchy digital static noise is transmitted to all the speakers, making it awful to leave in standby.

5) It cannot decode DTS or Dolby Digital signals via the fibre optic connection (only standard 2.0), making the optical port practically useless on a product branded to support 5.1, so I had to use RCA cables, and the result was still not true 5.1 for the reasons above.

I am using this Aiyima product with the Klipsch Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Surround Sound System. I bought it because of its small size, hoping it would be good enough, but now I have to go buy a proper name-brand product. This was a waste of money, and I can't imagine it working for any home application.

I did reach out to Customer Service, which was not helpful. Marion asked me to make a video of the problem before they could provide advice, even though I provided detailed information. When I have time, I told them I would create a YouTube review.

Hi thanks for your review, almost bought it when I saw it just now.
Have you found the time to make the youtube review yet?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative 5.1 amp? When I first saw it, the A09 seemed to fit exactly what I needed, until I saw this review haha.
If not, is there a better way to get 5.1? Maybe three two-channel amps (A07s) for the 5 speakers + sub? I'm a complete beginner so I'm not really sure where to begin :/

I currently have the Ayima A03 for a 2.1 setup but have been thinking to shift to a 5.1 for watching some movies on my computer.

Last edited:

twistgripper

Me too - i just discovered this model and after reading review...what a disappointment. yes using 3x mini stereo amps would actually be better. I want a digital usb mini 5.1 solution and have yet to find one. So I'm still stuck using a full size av receiver just for my gaming/office setup.

surroundman

Hello everyone! I
I have recently decided to attempt to build a 5.1 system, almost exclusively for PC gaming. I do use headphones for competitive games, but I most of the time I game using my speakers for other more casual games. Currently I am using the Aiyima A07 PRO as my 2.0 amp and Sabaj a10h as remote volume control and headphones amp. My speakers are the Neumi BS5. I am very happy with all the products I have. This forum assisted me in making my choices for my purchases. I will likely buy another pair of the Neumi speakers and their center speaker counterpart, and a subwoofer.
However, I am worried about how to connect them. From the little research I made, it seems that AVR is not an option as I am using display port on my PC monitor and am not willing to do that phantom display trick or lose the refresh rate/freesync by using HDMI (I consider upgrading to a 240hz monitor too). I do not have a second monitor either. According to my motherboard manual (link) (Asus TUF x570 wifi), it supports 4.1, 5.1, and 7.1 through the 3.5mm IO ports. It has optical too. As shown in the manual, for a 5.1 system, one 3.5mm port is for the front speakers, another port is for the rear speakers, and a third is for the central speaker and the subwoofer.
The product mentioned in this thread, the Aiyima a09 seemed like a good option for me to connect everything through optical, but the few reviews seem discouraging. Did anyone else test this product, did Aiyima address any of the issues? Or, is there anything similar to this product to appear since the last post here? I pretty much need only an amp, like the A09, as the motherboard itself does the processing. Price is important factor too. If there is no similar product (at a similar price too!), is my only option to buy two more amps like the one I already have for the rest of the channels?
Thanks!

OP
N

Nwickliff

Hello everyone! I
I have recently decided to attempt to build a 5.1 system, almost exclusively for PC gaming. I do use headphones for competitive games, but I most of the time I game using my speakers for other more casual games. Currently I am using the Aiyima A07 PRO as my 2.0 amp and Sabaj a10h as remote volume control and headphones amp. My speakers are the Neumi BS5. I am very happy with all the products I have. This forum assisted me in making my choices for my purchases. I will likely buy another pair of the Neumi speakers and their center speaker counterpart, and a subwoofer.
However, I am worried about how to connect them. From the little research I made, it seems that AVR is not an option as I am using display port on my PC monitor and am not willing to do that phantom display trick or lose the refresh rate/freesync by using HDMI (I consider upgrading to a 240hz monitor too). I do not have a second monitor either. According to my motherboard manual (link) (Asus TUF x570 wifi), it supports 4.1, 5.1, and 7.1 through the 3.5mm IO ports. It has optical too. As shown in the manual, for a 5.1 system, one 3.5mm port is for the front speakers, another port is for the rear speakers, and a third is for the central speaker and the subwoofer.
The product mentioned in this thread, the Aiyima a09 seemed like a good option for me to connect everything through optical, but the few reviews seem discouraging. Did anyone else test this product, did Aiyima address any of the issues? Or, is there anything similar to this product to appear since the last post here? I pretty much need only an amp, like the A09, as the motherboard itself does the processing. Price is important factor too. If there is no similar product (at a similar price too!), is my only option to buy two more amps like the one I already have for the rest of the channels?
Thanks!
Why not find a used AVR with optical in?

SequimJim

Yes! I have two of them. I purchased a 48 volt 10 amp power supply for mine just because of I squared R.

surroundman

Why not find a used AVR with optical in?
I feel like an AVR would be too much if the whole use would be gaming (cant even use for music - neighbors...). But I will still keep this as an option.

Sorry. My reply would be for the A07. Not the AO9.
Your 5.0 setup is pretty much what I imagine to build for myself, I too may actually not need a subwoofer at all as my speakers seem to have acceptable low end for gaming purposes. If I buy a A07 pro for my rear speakers, what would you suggest for the center channel (possibly with option for subwoofer, just in case)? Would a product like the Aiyima A3001 mono (same chip as the A07) be a good pick (perhaps with a smaller power supply) ? Or would you suggest another mono for the center? Thank you!
Good thing is, my PC motherboard have outputs for 7.1 too which means that if I am super impressed with 5.0 in gaming, I may try adding 2 more speakers (and, well, another amp)!
Still, like few others already mentioned, it is very disappointing that we do not have a well received and affordable 5.1 or 7.1 amp for needs like ours.

Top Bottom