• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what is your definitive and dream speaker that you would have?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as speakers that are unavailable but I wish they were, Genelec Ones with remotely-locatable amps and grille over the coax. I don’t generally “dream” about anything off the rack.

What’s also much more interesting than mere products is knowledge about one’s own preferences under controlled settings. So my speaker “dream” would be a week or so with Harman’s speaker mover and blind tests with a handful of different well engineered examples speaker designs: wide vs narrow dispersion, equalized monopole vs cardioid vs dipole bass, coax vs multi-way with similar horizontal coverage but differences in vertical pattern as imposed by geometry.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Dream speaker" implies a certain whimsy rather than, necessarily, practicality. Accepting that, I'd say my dream speaker would be the Apogee Grand ribbon dipoles.

One thing that makes the Apogee Grand's is that they need a large listening room for optimum enjoyment, (which you aren't see in the picture below).. Another thing is that a properly restore pair, if you can find one, will cost you well north of a hundred grand plus shipping cost would be astronomical.

1663153508419.jpeg

Apogee_Grand_20170702_141911_750pix.jpg

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
This is a great thread to ask for some technical questions and hopefully, learn a bit more. The speakers I have found I like best are concentric coaxial. That narrows down designs to KEF and Genelec most commonly (we could argue that Hertz and Audisson offers designs like those for cars, but that´s a whole different environment). Last spring I got a pair of LS50 Wireless II and started using actives. I had listened to actives before, but it was a studio and that´s not the common environment I listen to music. The concept, however, is the same. I really love how they work and the advantages are there.

With that in mind, here are the questions. Are there advantages with digital transmission to the speaker allowing each channel to use process and amplify the signal as opposed to sending an analog, already processed signal? How the chain work? If I´m not mistaken (and probably I am, so correct my mistakes, please), you start with the source, said source gets decoded, then sent to each channel, once in the active speaker, the digital signal gets EQ´d, sent to the DAC, from there to the amp(s) and the drivers move to give you sound. Does that have an advantage to get all the amplification, decoding and EQing on a separate device that sends the signal to a passive speaker, losses aside?

So what would I like ideally? Easy: a 7.2/4.4 with actives, being those Genelec or some sort of new Kef development. The first one I can do right now, the only potential weak link would be the AVP. The second, I cannot do, at least by now.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
60883EAE-8D47-4B59-8432-9C23D8600EFA.png
A car manufacturer once asked Homer Simpson a question like this!

Recluse-Animator

If I were a billionaire, I imagine I'd probably own KEF Metas, in one flavor or another. But I'm not a billionaire.
As far as flagship speakers go they're not extremely expensive.
You don't have to be a billionaire or even millionaire to buy them.

DonDish

"Dream speaker" implies a certain whimsy rather than, necessarily, practicality. Accepting that, I'd say my dream speaker would be the Apogee Grand ribbon dipoles.

One thing that makes the Apogee Grand's is that they need a large listening room for optimum enjoyment, (which you aren't see in the picture below).. Another thing is that a properly restore pair, if you can find one, will cost you well north of a hundred grand plus shipping cost would be astronomical.

View attachment 230912

View attachment 230912

Apogee_Grand_20170702_141911_750pix.jpg
I auditioned some Apogees late eighties. Spatial effect from these are almost beyond comprehension. And those werent the top model like these. Like its said they need a large and dedicated listening room. Talk about wide soundstage. Apogees make a f****** arena! :D

Adi777

As far as flagship speakers go they're not extremely expensive.
You don't have to be a billionaire or even millionaire to buy them.
I was going to write something similar. No exaggeration, they're not that expensive. Kef Muon - these are very expensive loudspeakers from the Kef company.
PS Is Muon not the flagship of Kef?

Recluse-Animator

I was going to write something similar. No exaggeration, they're not that expensive. Kef Muon - these are very expensive loudspeakers from the Kef company.
PS Is Muon not the flagship of Kef?
I forgot about the Muon.
Well by price definitely, but have they ever been measured?

Adi777

I forgot about the Muon.
Well by price definitely, but have they ever been measured?
I don't know. Your speaker list includes speakers that I would like to listen to :) These big Genelec, Legacy Audio Valor, but also model V, Geithain ML 811K1, but also ME 800K, Augspurger, JBL Everest DD67000. Of course it's not all.
I do not know the other speakers. I saw some on the internet, but I don't know the names of the companies.

OP
C

Ciobi69

First I would have a room made with infinite baffle double bass array or a wall of bass using Funk 24" or mach5audio WoW-32" subs.
Followed by as much acoustic treatment as possible.
And the I would start auditioning these;

1236k03.jpg

all_up_and_from_left_446ec4ff-df5f-444a-9402-22d8dde5853a_2048x.jpg

4e.Model_10_ESL_Cherry_Angle.jpg

Q412-S218_pair2-amps_cables.22680_7a740d5d-6fef-477a-9221-0fb3a5def92f_grande.jpg

wayne-jones-hero%20(1).jpg

mur1.jpg

leg-val1.jpg

107171__93173.1658418847.jpg

index.php

J1-94-main.png

Artboard-1-Hyperion-Rendering.png

Blade_One_Meta_perspective_front_in_pair_charcoal_grey_red.jpg

EXMACHINA-QUASAR_MKII-4.jpg

Ascendo_Live15-black.jpg

Bohne_Audio_Yolo_speaker_review_mono_and_stereo_matej_isak_2020_2021_2022_%2B-%2B1.jpg

ML811K1-Perspektive_V2.png

mls_1.png

mls2_silver_1.png

mesanovic-rtm10-kmr.jpg

Beolab90-Grey-Bronze-Walnut-L60_1000x.png

a.jpg
what a nice list

Recluse-Animator

I don't know. Your speaker list includes speakers that I would like to listen to :) These big Genelec, Legacy Audio Valor, but also model V, Geithain ML 811K1, but also ME 800K, Augspurger, JBL Everest DD67000. Of course it's not all.
I do not know the other speakers. I saw some on the internet, but I don't know the names of the companies.
Everest would also be nice.

From top to bottom;

Genelec
JansZen
Sanders
Augspurger
Wayne Jones
Muraudio
Legacy
Adam
Fulcrum
Danley
Danley
Kef
Ex Machina
Ascendo
Bohne
ME Geithain
Piega
Piega
Mesanovic
B&O
Salk

Recluse-Animator

Forgot a few.

Alcons:

mBLsKhMLXjD1Apt2Oa0l4bMxXFi1BjKSWTDO2tAb.jpeg

Taipuu:
with cabinet made from real wood or HI-MACS "A delicate composition of acrylic, minerals and natural pigments that combine to create a smooth, non-porous, thermoformable and visually seamless surface"
Usually used as countertops.
taipuu_3tie-2018_1100px.jpg

Sigberg double cardioid:
306079173_5715553475156500_2588285351464780885_n.jpg

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've answered this question here before in another thread (or threads) -- but happy to answer again.
Altec A5 cabinets (515B woofers) topped with 1505 horns/288 treble drivers and Jean Hiraga's XOs for same.
Outstanding, natural sound with the scope and scale of real life.
My 'space' would accommodate them, but I couldn't get them upstairs into it. :(

Garys Altecs.jpg

N.B. The split Altec 210 cabinet 'subwoofers' shown above would be optional, for me.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've answered this question here before in another thread (or threads) -- but happy to answer again.
Altec A5 cabinets (515B woofers) topped with 1505 horns/288 treble drivers and Jean Hiraga's XOs for same.
Outstanding, natural sound with the scope and scale of real life.
My 'space' would accommodate them, but I couldn't get them upstairs into it. :(

View attachment 230973

N.B. The split Altec 210 cabinet 'subwoofers' shown above would be optional, for me.
Very nice! When did you get the VOT Altecs?

Top Bottom