• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

TSX

Subjective review at avforums, they seem happy with it.
Thanks, but I was hoping for something different on ASR Subjective reviews says zero about real performance. They rate it 10/10. Compared today what? What about BB chips in general?

Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Its a 300 euro balanced dac with bluetooth. I'd say in this day and age its going to struggle. Its pretty much guaranteed it will have that patented spray of harmonic distortion that almost every ifi device has too, so it wont score well if reviewed here. Some might like such a profile.

TSX

Its a 300 euro balanced dac with bluetooth. I'd say in this day and age its going to struggle. Its pretty much guaranteed it will have that patented spray of harmonic distortion that almost every ifi device has too, so it wont score well if reviewed here. Some might like such a profile.
It’s actually 349€, but that makes it even worse I suppose. Why is buying a DAC in 2022 such a hassle

TSX

SINAD? No it's around 92dB SINAD.
Holy smoly. That's not much, and not very impressive or competitive compared to other much cheaper DACs

Music1969

Major Contributor
Holy smoly. That's not much, and not very impressive or competitive compared to other much cheaper DACs
Well the good thing about iFi is they are pretty honest.

That article compares iFi specs and SoundStage measurement, and it's mostly similar.

Amir has measured iFi here and in numerous products, they perform close to advertised specs.

So that's a good thing about iFi (to me) - they seem honest in specs. We can't say the same for many other manufacturers.

I’ve just replaced my Zen One Signature for a Sabaj A20d 2002, and I’m very glad I did. The Zen One is not even remotely bad, but with my Peachtree nova300 driving LS50 Metas, the Zen One just couldn’t open up. Quiet and clean, but limited in frequency balance and soundstage. That’s a Burr Brown issue. For a near field setup, with my now sold LSX’s, the Zen One did its job admirably. But we’ve moved, my office is larger. I needed more powah and depth.

Zen Stream to the A20d to the nova300 to the LS50’s… all is very, very well.

TSX

I’ve just replaced my Zen One Signature for a Sabaj A20d 2002, and I’m very glad I did. The Zen One is not even remotely bad, but with my Peachtree nova300 driving LS50 Metas, the Zen One just couldn’t open up. Quiet and clean, but limited in frequency balance and soundstage. That’s a Burr Brown issue. For a near field setup, with my now sold LSX’s, the Zen One did its job admirably. But we’ve moved, my office is larger. I needed more powah and depth.

Zen Stream to the A20d to the nova300 to the LS50’s… all is very, very well.
Can you disable the preamp, and use it as DAC only?

TSX

In the Zen One? It’s a dac only, no preamp.

With the A20d, yes, it’ll do fixed output, which is what I’m doing.
I know. I meant on the Sabaj.

NikJi

All things constant, the one thing that CAN make the DACs sound different is their method of interpolation. Every DAC has to do it. Listening to pure 44.1Khz PCM would be a sawtooth experience .

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
All things constant, the one thing that CAN make the DACs sound different is their method of interpolation. Every DAC has to do it. Listening to pure 44.1Khz PCM would be a sawtooth experience .

Here's Monty... one more time:

Top Bottom