• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lute Music and Other Early Music: Stunning Recordings We Love

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
In overall, the recording quality is amazingly wonderful. Of course, the same for music and performance.
And, as no surprise, it is even more so in multichannel.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

After the recent overhaul maintenance of super-tweeter FOSTEX T925A and further signal fine tuning thereafter (my post #485 on my project thread), and after completing the 1 msec and 0.1 msec precision time alignment of SP drivers;
- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-1_ Precision pulse wave matching method: #493
- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-2_ Energy peak matching method: #494
- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-3_ Precision single sine wave matching method in 0.1 msec accuracy: #504, #507

during the past three months, I have been again intensively listening to almost all of the beloved lute music and early music shared in this thread, as well as my latest audio sampler playlist.

As I wrote here, perfect (0.1 msec precision) time alignment between all of the SP drivers greatly contributes to amazing disappearance of SPs, tightness and cleanliness of the sound, and super-excellent 3D sound stage.

I would like to highly recommend you to try "precision time alignment between the SP drivers", if you have multichannel audio system capable of such time alignment adjustments.

Just for your reference, you would please find my latest system configuration and best-tuned Fq response data in my post here.

Edit:
- The latest total system configuration with DIY 12-VU-Meter Array, the best tuned time alignment and Fq response, together with further various setup info: as of May 30, 2022: #540
on my project thread.

Last edited:

PatF

Another one from Raumklang but for Baroque Guitar - amazing music and very surprising. Foscarini was one of few first composers who used lute technique on guitar.

Zrzut ekranu 2022-08-24 o 14.01.40.png

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fantastic recording from outstanding quality record label Raumklang

Hello @PatF, you are very much welcome to this thread!

As for Alessandro Piccinini, you would also refer to my post #25 with one of the links to the YouTube sampler tracks.

PatF

Many of you may agree with me starting/including "Lute Songs" category with this historical performance and recording of Alfred Deller;
HMC 90244 Harmonia Mundi
View attachment 117929

In addition,,,
Just for your reference, Alfred Deller's truly astonishing (profound and sad) "Henry Purcell: Music for a While" (HM 90.249 Harmonia Mundi) was recorded in 1979, the year of his death, and usually said to be his "Schwanengesang", but out of the scope of this thread... highly recommended.
Oh Deller.... he was one of pioneers of counter-tenor singing. He had done a lot for this art and we should remember him but here are outstanding recordings by talented singers who followed Deller's path:

One of most charming Purcell songs:

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

PatF

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh Deller.... he was one of pioneers of counter-tenor singing. He had done a lot for this art and we should remember him but here are outstanding recordings by talented singers who followed Deller's path:

Very nice.

I also always love the performances by counter tenor Gerard Lesne; a typical example I shared in my post #21 really wonderful music composed by Giovanni Bononcini.

PatF

Very nice.

I also always love the performances by counter tenor Gerard Lesne; a typical example I shared in my post #21 really wonderful music composed by Giovanni Bononcini.
:) my student times

Another talented counter-tenor; Tim Mead

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dorian was one of my favorite recording labels. It is sad that they are no more. As you probably know SonoLuminus acquired Dorian catalogue of recordings.
Yes, I know about it. So far, I only have these 19 Dorian CDs:
WS004029.JPG

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello again @PatF,

Your avatar image reminds me as if you were (are) one of the marching musicians in this wonderful video; Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary (Purcell): from March to Canzona

PatF

Hello again @PatF,

Your avatar image reminds me as if you were (are) one of the marching musicians in this wonderful video; Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary (Purcell): from March to Canzona
Sadly, no I am not one of them but I played it for myself. Playing this canzona in concert was one of my dreams. I know this recording very well. They are using very unusual trumpets. Flat trumpets... long story. I can write about it later.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, do you know this wonderful full concert video?
Purcell: Ode and Anthem - Hommage (1659 - 1695) | Jean Tubery & La Fenice, 1 hour 40 min!

and I really love this final duet with chorus; I do hope/dream to sing the bass part of the duet with nice soprano singer in church acoustics, as I am a member in bass part of our church choir:

Top Bottom