• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Converting HDMI Sources for a DAC

SegaCD

I have an absolutely wonderful vintage stereo integrated amplifier that I use with living room video set-up; however, I just realized that my TV only outputs 48kHz PCM via optical (which I had hooked up to my DAC) no matter what the source is. It's terrible that it took me a few years to realize that!

Anyway, I have a few HDMI sources, including an Nvidia Shield, DVDO Duo, PS3, & Wii U, along with the TV's tuner which I need converted to analog output. This amplifier sounds gorgeous and anything less than a nice DAC would be a disservice to it (I've been running a FiiO Taishan for a long while, and I don't like how it sounds at all). I'm assuming the best way to do this would be via the HDMI ARC output from the TV...

I had a few options I considered:
  • The Nvidia Shield will be able to host a USB DAC, but I'm not sure how I'd be able to pass through audio from the other HDMI devices on my A/V chain.
  • The DVDO Duo has an optical audio pass-through, but I would need to route all my HDMI cables through it (which is too clunky to use on a daily basis) and avoid any Dolby Digital/DTS streams since it can't convert & downmix those streams to stereo PCM for the DAC.
  • I could get an HDMI ARC to optical box...but how reliable are these cheap devices that I find on amazon? Any higher quality/proven alternatives that wont break the bank? Also, its another box/adapter to deal with.
  • An Oppo UDP-205 which I think would solve all my problems and replace the separate DAC entirely, but it's freakin' expensive and a bit overkill to turn on every time I just want to watch a TV station...
My question for all of you is... Do you all have any idea what would work best in this situation to get audio from my HDMI sources to the RCA jacks on my analog stereo integrated amplifier without using the TV's fixed 48kHz optical output? Any personal experience? Am I on the right track with any of the options above?

Also, any reason to consider a USB-only DAC like the March DAC 1 over another multi-input DAC like the Topping D50 besides a slightly better SNR?

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have an external HDMI switcher that everything gets routed through or does it all run into half a dozen HDMI inputs on your TV?

OP
SegaCD

SegaCD

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ewhd-prosumer-ultrahd-hdmi-3x1-switcher.1560/

You can see how one of the cheap switcher converters from Amazon functions. You'll probably want to do better than this.

Wow, I didn't even realize you had a review about that model! That's great information!

I figure I'd pair that with a separate DAC through optical; definitely wouldn't consider it to be a DAC replacement. I see the jitter figures are a little scary though. I may have missed you mentioning it, but does the jitter still appear via optical?

Do you have an external HDMI switcher that everything gets routed through or does it all run into half a dozen HDMI inputs on your TV?

Yes...to both? The DVDO Duo is an analog/digital video scaler that also works as an 8 input HDMI switcher. The issue with using the optical output on that is as mentioned above. In addition, most of my devices (especially the Nvidia Shield) is hooked up directly to the TV due to the added convenience and some additional features (HDMI CRC) that the Duo has problems with...

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes...to both? The DVDO Duo is an analog/digital video scaler that also works as an 8 input HDMI switcher. The issue with using the optical output on that is as mentioned above. In addition, most of my devices (especially the Nvidia Shield) is hooked up directly to the TV due to the added convenience and some additional features (HDMI CRC) that the Duo has problems with...

That makes things difficult. The simplest way would be to run everything through one switcher and put an audio extractor after it but that won't work if things don't pass through properly.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
and avoid any Dolby Digital/DTS streams since it can't convert & downmix those streams to stereo PCM for the DAC

Are you 100% sure your TV cannot be set to output SPDIF from DD streams? My panel has a setting to do that and all channels (even just DD DVT channels), HDMI from the HTPC or other sources are present as SPDIF 2ch @48Khz at my optical out. It took me a while to find the setting as it was buried deep (past the usual audio settings)

OP
SegaCD

SegaCD

That makes things difficult. The simplest way would be to run everything through one switcher and put an audio extractor after it but that won't work if things don't pass through properly.

Exactly... I may go with the ARC-enable switcher Blumlein 88 posted to an external DAC above since most of the other sources could just be fed back to the DAC via ARC.

Are you 100% sure your TV cannot be set to output SPDIF from DD streams? My panel has a setting to do that and all channels (even just DD DVT channels), HDMI from the HTPC or other sources are present as SPDIF 2ch @48Khz at my optical out. It took me a while to find the setting as it was buried deep (past the usual audio settings)

You're right; it can output 48kHz PCM via the optical output but only 48kHz...no other sampling rate. If I'm buying an expensive DAC though, I'd like to at least be able to play my uncompressed audio files at their original sampling rate (which is usually 44.1kHz or high-res 96kHz).

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any DACs take an HDMI input? I have a Sony UBP-X800 disc player which has a coaxial digital output but no USB or analogue outputs. Coaxial input DACs don't seem that common now the industry seems to have adopted USB as a de-facto standard for audio digital connection.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any DACs take an HDMI input? I have a Sony UBP-X800 disc player which has a coaxial digital output but no USB or analogue outputs. Coaxial input DACs don't seem that common now the industry seems to have adopted USB as a de-facto standard for audio digital connection.
http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/essence-shipping-hi-def-dac-hdmi-input-blu-ray-audio/

http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/evolve-ii-4k/

Anyone know anything about these? HDMI in and out.

Not common that is for sure.

Top Bottom