• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

dartinbout

I myself have no intention at all of using DM7 since I have DAC8PRO.

My (and our) discussion on TRS(balanced)-to-RCA(unbalanced) conversion is for rather naive people who would like to use DM7, instead of DAC8PRO, for PC-based DSP (XO/EQ) and multichannel sync DAC processing, and would like to feed analog signals into amplifiers having only unbalanced RCA inputs (no balanced XLR inputs).

Consequently, for those people, "exact link(s)" to fully tested and validated commercially available "correct, safe, acceptable" TRS-to-RCA adaptor or cable, with minus(-) signal line floating (not connected) would be indispensable, I believe.

I assume it would be the best solution if Topping could provide such TRS-to-RCA adaptor produced by Topping for their customers.

Just for our reference, BENCHMARK provides BENCHMARK's XLR(balanced)-to-RCA(unbalanced) cable of minus(-) line floating for their customers.
I also purchased four of Emotiva's short adaptor XLR(balanced)-to-RCA(unbalanced) cable of minus(-) line floating cable which I fully tested and validated that XLR's pin3 mimus(-) line is floating (not connected).

So far, however, I could not find "exact links" to fully tested and validated TRS-to-RCA adaptor or cable, with minus(-) signal line floating (not connected)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154855807323?var=454965057442 is what I ordered. My DM7 arrived this morning in LA, from China, via DHL. ETA to my audio palace, in SF by 7\21.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, this is TRS(balanced)-to-XLR(male, balanced); I understand you will feed into amplifiers capable of XLR balanced input, right?

Or are you planning to use further XLR(balanced, No3. floating)-to-RCA(unbalanced) adaptor (or cable) to RCA input of your unbalance-only amplifier(s)?

BTW, nice to see you already have OKTO DAC8PRO too!

Last edited:

nagster

I use adapters like this from time to time.
The tip, ring and sleeve are independent. The user is free to choose to float the cold pin, short it to ground, or terminate it with a resistance equivalent to the input impedance of the RCA.
They are convenient because they can also be combined with polarity reversal. I used to use it to bridge stereo amplifiers as well.

Cables like this are easy if just wants to float the cold pin.

However, there are some balanced output devices such as the D10B that cannot operate correctly and safely in any case with an unbalanced connection using a conversion cable or a simple adapter. At present, only TOPPING and the pre-distributed reviewers can know what happens if the output of DM7 is unbalanced connected.

Users who understand what they are doing may ignore the manufacturer's instructions at their own risk.
Users who need questions should follow the manufacturer's instructions.

trs_rca_01.JPG

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am wondering whether "correct, safe, acceptable" TRS-to-RCA adaptor or cable, with minus(-) signal line floating (not connected) would be commercially available, or not.

If you know/find such commercially available one (you need to confirm and validate it by a tester, as I suggested), please share the link here in this thread...

Don't wonder, search! The phrase "balanced jack to phono cable" found this cable on the first page of Google search:

Then buy something like this to verify the connections yourself, instead of relying on someone else:

The above cable does not have the minus line connected, they use another method to convert balanced to unbalance but they say they can supply you anything you want. (I prefer their connection choice as it avoids ground loops and I personally don't think the shield of a balanced connection should be used for signalling.)

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use adapters like this from time to time.
The tip, ring and sleeve are independent. The user is free to choose to float the cold pin, short it to ground, or terminate it with a resistance equivalent to the input impedance of the RCA.
They are convenient because they can also be combined with polarity reversal. I used to use it to bridge stereo amplifiers as well.

Cables like this are easy if just wants to float the cold pin.

However, there are some balanced output devices such as the D10B that cannot operate correctly and safely in any case with an unbalanced connection using a conversion cable or a simple adapter. At present, only TOPPING and the pre-distributed reviewers can know what happens if the output of DM7 is unbalanced connected.

Users who understand what they are doing may ignore the manufacturer's instructions at their own risk.
Users who need questions should follow the manufacturer's instructions.

View attachment 218702
Almost all adapters are designed to be used at inputs, not outputs. The adapters you showed are for handling stereo. Neither is suitable for balanced mono.

MCH

Major Contributor
The first one nagster proposes must be the cheapest (3,5 eur where i live) and widely available (amazon sells them) way of connecting a suitable balanced dac to an unbalanced amp, that is what is discussed here.
It offers the three pins separately, no need to diy, cut or solder anything.
Can you explain why wouldn't it work? Honest question, i am not as experienced as you guys, but it seems so simple....

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The first one nagster proposes must be the cheapest (3,5 eur where i live) and widely available (amazon sells them) way of connecting a suitable balanced dac to an unbalanced amp, that is what is discussed here.
It offers the three pins separately, no need to diy, cut or solder anything.
Can you explain why wouldn't it work? Honest question, i am not as experienced as you guys, but it seems so simple....
There are 587 posts on this thread. Please link to the post you mention.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Martyreasoner

connect it to your tv, which has spdif out? would it not decode the sound from the tv or something? am I missing something here. I do know you cant get more than 5 channels from your tv, but that would a quick convenient set up, correct me if im wrong I am not an audio expert[clearly]
You would only be able to do 2 channel pcm that way. 5.1 codecs are still locked down by dolby

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You would only be able to do 2 channel pcm that way. 5.1 codecs are still locked down by dolby
5.1 Dolby Digital codec is not locked down. The only codec that is locked down is Atmos.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Enlighten me please
A TRS connector has three connections. Those can be either used for stereo: Left, Right, Ground or balanced: +, -, shield. All adapters you showed are for the former. In general, adapters are designed to convert an input. In this case we are looking for an adapter or cable that converts the output of a balanced signal to unbalanced. There are very few of those because such an adaptation is very rarely needed.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
A TRS connector has three connections. Those can be either used for stereo: Left, Right, Ground or balanced: +, -, shield. All adapters you showed are for the former. In general, adapters are designed to convert an input. In this case we are looking for an adapter that converts the output.
I think you are confusing @nagster with me ( @MarcosCh ) and what nagster was explaining correctly (at least the first paragraph) with something else. Read my post ;)

PS: no offense, i love you, but always wanted to tell you a "read my post" :D:p

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you are confusing @nagster with me ( @MarcosCh ) and what nagster was explaining correctly (at least the first paragraph) with something else. Read my post ;)

PS: no offense, i love you, but always wanted to tell you a "read my post" :D:p
I am really confused now. I replied to your post which was a reply to me, asking "Enlighten me please". Where is my confusion?

PS. It is easy to link to the post when saying "read my post". This avoids confusion and makes the thread more useful for readers reading in the future.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
As far as I understand the needs,someone who wants to do xover will benefit from the low SINAD (let's not consider safety and convenience just for now) and also from the fact that is external so problems associated with the PC onboard audio multichannel cards are somehow less,ok?

What I do not understand is combining this with stuff like miniDSP who will cancel the only benefit which is low SINAD.
Understandably the lack of some features dictates the need of some interacting with other gear,specially for safety or easy setup.

People seem to think that this thing will miraculously apply it's own SINAD ignoring the gear up/downstream.

It is what it is,not some magic gear.

Top Bottom