• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To be clear, I plugged in DM7 into a windows machine and used it. No software was installed. I used ASIO4ALL to talk to it which exposed 8 independent channels. So everything is class compliant so I see no reason Linux would have trouble here.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the video?
Video goes out from the PC via HDMI to the monitor, audio goes to the OCTO or Topping via USB. No problem it works, I have been doing it for years. The Apple MAC 1 Mini will even render HDR 10. And lip sync is not a problem, and the PC can use any number of crossovers, eqs, players, and dsp. Far more flexible than being locked into whatever comes with the receiver. Will handle everything up to 7.1, but no ATMOS, DTS-X, or Auro 3D, alas.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
TBH I have the budget to pay much more for an Okto, and I would consider it if they were ever in stock. However, I CBA to monitor the company's supply. Okto won't make a wait list or give production predictions for some reason. I emailed the company asking for an estimate of the next production run and got no response.

Okay, then I'll take the other candidate at the efficient frontier of price vs. performance. I ordered my DM7 before Amir posted his review.
I think Topping is in a much better position to cope with component supply problems. Although not a big corporate, they are located right there, with access to contacts and no communications difficulties.

glc650

There is a lot of effort behind Atmos (Amazon etc.) and I'm curious how it will take off.
What are you talking about? Amazon dumped Atmos (and DV) long ago and Atmos has already taken off (for movies/shows anyway). Half of what I watch has an Atmos track. I guess you have never watched anything on Netflix or a movie on Blu-ray?

Then again with your setup:
I now use Apple TV+ that sends the picture to the TV screen and sound to 8 wireless speakers by AirPlay. The DSP in the speakers give an immersive feel with stereo sound rather than using multi-channel sound.
how would you even know when something is recorded in Atmos?

Last edited:
Reactions: MWC

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Video goes out from the PC via HDMI to the monitor, audio goes to the OCTO or Topping via USB. No problem it works, I have been doing it for years. The Apple MAC 1 Mini will even render HDR 10. And lip sync is not a problem, and the PC can use any number of crossovers, eqs, players, and dsp. Far more flexible than being locked into whatever comes with the receiver.
Unless you have a spatial setup. 2D surround is very last decade :)

Not to mention you don’t have HDMI inputs nor selection.

Last edited:

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be clear, I plugged in DM7 into a windows machine and used it. No software was installed. I used ASIO4ALL to talk to it which exposed 8 independent channels. So everything is class compliant so I see no reason Linux would have trouble here.

The MOTU UltraLite-mk5 is also class compliant, and yet only seems to work with Linux kernels 5.10 and above. Even then, not perfectly. My SOtM sMS-200 has kernel 5.11 loaded - the MOTU works, but only at 44.1 and 48k rates. The MOTU doesn't work at all with the iFi Zen Stream. The Okto has worked out of the box with everything I've tried.

I'd be interested in the DM7 if I knew it worked with Linux as well as the Okto does.

Mani.

MAB

Major Contributor
Thanks. This answers some of the questions circulating here about use.
I keep thinking that this is some of the basic info that should accompany this product. It certainly isn't in the manual, or on their website.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
how would you even know when something is recorded in Atmos?
Atmos is a delivery format. You know it is used when you see it’s logo.

glc650

Atmos is a delivery format. You know it is used when you see it’s logo.
I have a 6.3.4 system (I don't run a center) in my living room so I'm well aware what Atmos is. Read my full post and you will see I was responding to the quoted poster's bizarre fake surround sound setup and assumptions about Atmos.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: MWC

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 6.3.4 system (I don't run a center) in my living room so I'm well aware what Atmos is. Read my full post and you will see I was responding to the quoted poster's bizarre fake surround sound setup and assumptions about Atmos.
And I was answering to your sentence which was in a paragraph of its own. We all communicate better if we explain what we mean clearly.

MAB

Major Contributor
Do you want to be told how a power amplifier work as well? It’s a DAC that has multiple outputs. What else do you want to know?
Actually, yes I do want to be told.
For example:
1657657128697.png

It would be better for Topping to spell out actual support, with system integration examples. So many of the questions in this thread would be calmly answered by Topping rather than us going around like this...;)

They don't have to replicate RME or Yamaha or Genelec (for example), but gosh they could do better. Doesn't even have to be in English, most of us understand diagrams!!!:)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, yes I do want to be told.
For example:
View attachment 217969
It would be better for Topping to spell out actual support, with system integration examples. So many of the questions in this thread would be calmly answered by Topping rather than us going around like this...;)

They don't have to replicate RME or Yamaha or Genelec (for example), but gosh they could do better. Doesn't even have to be in English, most of us understand diagrams!!!:)
A manual is not an education source. There are zillion places to learn how certain audio setups work. I hate to see a diagram like that in a user manual!

glc650

And I was answering to your sentence which was in a paragraph of its own. We all communicate better if we explain what we mean clearly.
What paragraph? It's a sentence immediately following another quote. I can't make it any more clear than that smart ass. I have no control over how this forum handles quoting and formatting/spacing around said quoting. And did you not notice the colon following the sentence before that last quote? Usually that indicates more to come. Had you just read my full post...

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The MOTU UltraLite-mk5 is also class compliant, and yet only seems to work with Linux kernels 5.10 and above. Even then, not perfectly. My SOtM sMS-200 has kernel 5.11 loaded - the MOTU works, but only at 44.1 and 48k rates. The MOTU doesn't work at all with the iFi Zen Stream. The Okto has worked out of the box with everything I've tried.

I'd be interested in the DM7 if I knew it worked with Linux as well as the Okto does.

Mani.
I wish I could "love" this post knowing what you went through as I followed along on the Roon forum. That's why I built a NUC and just put it near the Motu and was done. However, a fully Linux compliant unit is the only reason I'd switch at this point so the NUC would be off the shelf and the RPi running RoPieee.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

monkeyboy

If your PC is the source this is great. If your TV is the source you either have SPDIF or HDMI eARC that would have to be an input to the PC to then be sent via USB. I haven't been able to find a sound card with HDMI eARC inputs, I believe cards with SPDIF inputs exit....can anyone recommend a specific sound card for SPDIF input?

Top Bottom