• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

gvl

Major Contributor
Sorry, I am still not following this. There is only one USB input on the DAC, right? How do you split that into 8 channels EQ'd for the Linkwitz drivers?

USB have enough bandwidth for multichannel.

Reactions: MWC

Palex

A question for DM7 . the following scheme : Mac mini (2014) + Audirvana plus+ USB -DAC (cable) + DM7 + analog cable + Yamaha RV 657 receiver = you can get 5.1 from SACD.iso . ? Writing an online translator

Reactions: MWC

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The market for multi-channel music isn't that large. And it's limited to source material that's been mixed for multi-channel release. Also many who are into multi-channel music already have a DAC. I'd think a new product would have to add something and be more inclusive to be successful in a niche market. This product is probably not going to motivate me to invest in a surround system for demoing DSOTM to anyone who will listen.
This is a generic 8-ch DAC, why are you just looking at the almost dead surround music? There are various scenarios that a multi-ch DAC is required. Surround is just one of them.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I am still not following this. There is only one USB input on the DAC, right? How do you split that into 8 channels EQ'd for the Linkwitz drivers?
8 channels of audio is processed on the computer and sent to the multi-ch DAC via the USB connection.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could do what I do. JBL M2's all controlled by Audiolense via FIR using Roon. First time in my audio hobby I'm so content it's freaky. Thanks to @mitchco!

MAB

Major Contributor
Here is one place to start.
Your question is legit, and seems to be one of the (potentially few) practical uses of this product. Assuming it actually is stable, doesn't have issues that would cause headaches or even blow tweeters.
I actually use Linkwitz active crossovers for my DIY Seas Thors, modified to suit my application. I get his thoughtfully designed boards as well, with no surprises. And of course, his more than thoughtful application notes.
But, we are in the dark here since Topping doesn't offer any guidance. Your question needs to be answered by Topping in the owner's manual, or wherever they deem fit.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Then have you read and participated in @dualazmak 's very comprehensive discourses on active crossovers for his speakers using an 8 channel DAC ?
Yes I read the thread.To me is more simple as it's only stereo and but still it was very useful.

MAB

Major Contributor
That's basically an 8-channel MiniDSP Flex/SHD. The fact that MiniDSP doesn't already offer one might speak to their perception of the potential market.

I probably shouldn't be, but I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at the tenor of this discussion. It seems that a large number of people really expected Topping to produce a full HT pre/pro with 120dB SINAD for under $1000, and are upset that it didn't happen. Having watched Emotiva and Outlaw struggle with budget pre/pro offerings that don't come anywhere near SOTA performance, I'm not quite sure where that optimism came from. The complexities of executing a pre/pro are orders of magnitude more challenging than whats Topping has done here, and they're mostly on the software side which isn't Topping's wheelhouse.

I am left thinking that the best thing Topping could do is create a set of 'reference examples' showing how the DM7 is best used.
Reference examples from Topping would be so helpful in the discussion of the actual use. I would much rather be told to go read the manual here!;)

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Signal is split via software running on the computer. The USB then carries upto 8-ch digital signal to this DAC.

MAB

Major Contributor
And, I forgot that there is the incredibly useful forum:

Again, until Topping shows a block diagram with examples, and I see someone do it on YouTube, it's not real!!!;)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reference examples would from Topping would be so helpful in the discussion of the actual use. I would much rather be told to go read the manual here!;)
Do you want to be told how a power amplifier work as well? It’s a DAC that has multiple outputs. What else do you want to know?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two of these running a 16-channel Atmos-system out of a PC would be a sight to see.
Unfortunately you could not get them to sync b/c each USB DAC runs it's own clock, and also which PC renders ATMOS. When and if the owners of those Codecs permit them to run on Windows and Apple boxes, we will no doubt see a 16 channel USB Dac, possible by Topping, and it will be a welcome development.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schenzen Audio:

View attachment 217908

Do they actually mean it needs a computer attached, as NOT shown in their graphic? So $600 for the unit and $1,500 for a laptop. Surely cheaper and more practical to just get an AVR receiver and you also get a proper remote?
So you would actually prefer a box the size of a dorm refrigerator with a 70-80 db SINAD that lights up like the instrument panel of an Airbus A800, over a small PC or Apple Mac 1 Mini running JRiver or Foobar+ the Topping or Octo with their 118 db sinads connecting to any amp/powered monitor of your choice?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you would actually prefer a box the size of a dorm refrigerator with a 70-80 db SINAD that lights up like the instrument panel of an Airbus A800, over a small PC or Apple Mac 1 Mini running JRiver or Foobar+ the Topping or Octo with their 118 db sinads connecting to any amp/powered monitor of your choice?
What about the video?

Last edited:

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Voted "great". A device I've been waiting for. Affordable simple USB 8-ch DAC of excellent quality at low cost. If it runs under RPi-Linux it'll be perfect for a standalone DSP active speaker controller project. It also offers new possibilities for measurement purposes. If it's not prone to failing and driver issues this IHMO sure is a best-buy product.

Just curious, what are you referring to when mentioning new possibilities for measurement purposes?

Top Bottom