• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

kenshone

I'm struggling to understand how this device can be used in a multichannel surround system. Can it do anything that can or cannot be done by an AVR or surround processor? Is there software that allows it to be used as a DSP incorporating high-pass and low-pass filters, PEQ, channel levels, phase and delay so that it acts like a miniDSP or Dayton Audio DSP-408 but with digital input? How do I get a Dolby Digital 7.1 stream into it? Can it decode that? (Obviously it doesn't support Dolby Atmos in any way, as far as I can see.)

I see this as a device for HTPC's. Topping's marketing should be trying to reach out to users of software like JRiver, etc.

Katji

Major Contributor
The big question - does it play nice with Linux ?

What kernel is required/test @JohnYang1997 ?

Yeh Focusite is class compliant too.

Just ask anyone who uses it on Linux for multichannel, if it works.

It doesn't.

So class compliant almost means nothing to me. from practical experience

We need to know what Linux kernel version was tested (if tested) for 8 channel support.

Or wait for someone to buy and test

^^/ Do Topping ever do it?

...btw, how does it [multichannel] work with Apple device/OS?

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting although I have no use for it if it can't decode home cinema audio codecs :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Alternatively, if you want to keep a fully balanced audio chain and DSP each channel, I believe you could use software like JRiver (which you can optionally integrate with Dirac Live Multichannel).
This seems like a more sensible option. First, have a 120 SINAD DAC convert to analog, and then go back into a much lower quality ADC and DAC, just to get some Dirac and filtering? That is just a waste of money and engineering.

raif71

Major Contributor
1657617001326.png

Suppose I have the above configuration:
1) USB connected to PC and running Foobar2000
2) connection to active speakers as above

Does Foobar 2000 have channel assignment such as above or similar (the numbers above are just for reference)? What about SW cutoff frequency setting? Does Foobar2000 have cutoff freq setting?

balletboy

Schenzen Audio:

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 10.14.57.png

Do they actually mean it needs a computer attached, as NOT shown in their graphic? So $600 for the unit and $1,500 for a laptop. Surely cheaper and more practical to just get an AVR receiver and you also get a proper remote?

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For all those lamenting the lack of physical inputs if you are running CamillaDSP it is very easy to add a SPDIF input with a device like this -> https://hifimediy.com/product/s2-digi/. Just set the hifimediy as your capture device and the DM7 as your playback device and enable async resampling and rate adjust and CamillaDSP will bridge the clock domains. Poor man’s Okto at half the price.

Michael

Is decoding DD+ 5.1 over optical a thing that is out in the open in 2022?

Might be an affordable option for someone that just wants 5.1

anphex

Forum Donor
YES YES YES SO MUCH YES OH MY GOD THANK YOU TOPPING!

I've been pestering Topping DAC reviews lately with cynism because I never expected them to deliver. Now here it is, a nice multichannel DAC for a sane price. Thank you so so so much! This thing is a sure buy from me!

Edit: Okay, I calmed down a bit.

Before I buy - is this thing easy to use as in I just enable 7.1 in Windows 10 for this DAC and channels are working fine or is some routing necessary? I just need 4.0.
I am really interested in this little gadget but I am wondering if this is really the needed nudge to ditch my AVR and just go with PC, EAPO and this multichannel DAC. But this would make gaming consoles and my Nvidia Shield unusable due to nonexistent HDMI or optical input. No connection to TV possible.
Though maybe I'll get a surprise and this DAC would be recognized by LG TVs. An external USB-network plug already worked this way.

Last edited:

kenshone

Schenzen Audio:

View attachment 217908

Do they actually mean it needs a computer attached, as NOT shown in their graphic? So $600 for the unit and $1,500 for a laptop. Surely cheaper and more practical to just get an AVR receiver and you also get a proper remote?

Unless you already have a free laptop or computer lying around, in which case it's cheaper to go the HTPC route.

Modern AVRs support more codecs, such as object-based (aka height support), which HTPCs cannot (or at least not without spending a LOT of licensing money). That's is their primary technical differentiator from a PC based system. The customer has to decide whether that's worth it, because object-based encodings aren't that common. In fact, a nontrivial player in the space, Auro 3d, recently declared bankruptcy.

Last edited:

pos

Forum Donor
A balanced 8 outputs USB DAC with SOTA performance, this is an unexpected surprise! :D
One question: is it free from any form of noise/click/thumb on its outputs (even slight) in any circumstances? (PC on/off, USB plug/unplug, sample rate change, etc.)

Last edited:

fatoldgit

So...

With the assumption it works with Linux ALSA, what Linux*** playback software would:

1- take a stereo input and create another set of stereo channels (i.e. I end up with 2 x Left and 2 x Right)
2- allow me to apply low and high pass filters on each of my now four channels (or at least independently to each L/R pair as a set)
3- allow me to apply PEQ on each of my now four channels (or at least independently to each L/R pair as a set)
4- pass this over USB onto this DAC so I use 4 of its 8 outputs

Thanks,

Peter

*** or worst case win10 software if I want to slum it

Sokel

Master Contributor
Does it have individual channel volume control?
Or a simple volume control for everything?Can't find this piece of info which is crucial for some applications.
No chance of even basic DSP?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it have individual channel volume control?
Or a simple volume control for everything?Can't find this piece of info which is crucial for some applications.
It seems it does not have, all levels should be set in software before it.

Zoomer

Considering the negative comments are mainly about what it doesn't do and is not meant to do in the first place, they're actually compliments in reverse.
Kudos to Topping for a featuritis-free device with corresponding attractive price point.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Considering the negative comments are mainly about what it doesn't do and is not meant to do in the first place, they're actually compliments in reverse.
Kudos to Topping for a featuritis-free device with corresponding attractive price point.
To justify my comments:
It's all about comparison,a device like this has very certain functions and the similar Okto has put the level quite high.
For 600 euro someone can buy 8 transparent channels even in the form of 4 dac's.
Everything is about the case of use and individual channel VC is the very least.

Katji

Major Contributor
Indeed. Another response helping me to cope here.

kenshone

To justify my comments:
It's all about comparison,a device like this has very certain functions and the similar Okto has put the level quite high.
For 600 euro someone can buy 8 transparent channels even in the form of 4 dac's.
Everything is about the case of use and individual channel VC is the very least.
4 dacs can "work," but consider that:
- it will be 4x the devices
- many more wires and power outlets
- may require much more initial configuration on the computer
- I've read that there can be sync issues between clocks when using multiple DACs

Last edited:
Top Bottom