• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure how risk profiling by age, occupation, etc, etc (with completely opaque algorithms) is legal; in light of equality arguments.
With insurance that's only common business sense. Same with young drivers and 500 hp autos. LOL.
It may well be good business sense for the insurance companies. I'm just glad that it is not permitted in most other industries to require customers to complete a several pages questionnaire on their personal characteristics before deciding how much to charge them.

In this country, for employment law for example, it is not permitted to ask such questions prior to a job interview; as it could easily result in discrimination.

Also, in the U.K. it certainly does cost more to obtain your motorcycle license than your car license (due to more tests). However, most people pass the car test first, which then reduces the number of lessons needed on the bike (as you don't need to learn the roadsigns or how to use a roundabout again).

Anyway, it is the last I will say on the subject. I'd rather just see some more snaps of other forum members bikes.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We as riders fought mandatory helmet laws for decades and decades. It should be up to the rider if he feels the limited hearing and peripheral vision caused by most helmets is worth it. I can remember back in the 70s helmet laws were universal throughout the US with the sole exception of California. Now today we riders have been able to reverse that situation in 31 of 50 states, where most only have mandatory helmets for riders under a certain age.
Funny part is today California is stuck with mandatory helmets for all, that figures. LOL.
Let the riders decide !
Reminds me of the fight against mandatory wearing of safety belts in cars. In the end the statistics of accidents w/wo belt/helm tell the true story.

In countries with mandatory health insurements another factor enters the game: the majority pays in access for those who don't care about using safety equipment and consequently require more expensive health care in case of accidents.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Reminds me of the fight against mandatory wearing of safety belts in cars. In the end the statistics of accidents w/wo belt/helm tell the true story.
Seat belts and helmets are two different things as has been shown over and over at state hearings all over the US.
It's easily shown that helmets limit hearing and peripheral vision, that's undeniable.
Can you prove that helmets didn't contribute to helmeted rider accidents?
It's taken a lot of grass roots work by motorcyclists to get the freedom we enjoy today.
Let those who ride decide.
You folks in Europe need to stand up to government more. ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny part is today California is stuck with mandatory helmets for all, that figures.
Ain't left much to brag about here, where the sun sets.
...but...
When I moved here from the side where the sun rises, I thought it was crazy that you could "split lanes" in CA.
If there is anything that can be said about the delights of riding the most congested highways, while "rubbing shoulders" with the worst drivers, is the fact that splitting lanes is heaven sent to tolerate the congestion and the numb-skulls.
Splitting lanes gives you the feeling that you are cheating time and giving the finger to the traffic.:eek:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
For those who don't ride anymore but need the visceral thrill...check out one of my videos from my ride Saturday. There are several more if the need for speed arises.

Btw shot in 4K.
What bike were you riding?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who don't ride anymore but need the visceral thrill...check out one of my videos from my ride Saturday. There are several more if the need for speed arises.

Btw shot in 4K.
Wonderful video. It reminds me of a fantastic ride I used to do near every weekend riding from Vancouver through the sparsely populated USA farm country to Sumas Washington State and then to Mount Baker. The trees along the road side made a tunnel and the speed feels very high even though it is at the speed limit or maybe 10mph more. Wonderful ride.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
OK, I finally remembered my bike. I rode a Suzuki B-King for about 5 years. I mean I rode it every single week. Best fun. I ran out of riding buddys and finally rode so much alone that I got tired of it and sold it off. After two years of riding every week alone it got quite boring, even with the huge power I had on tap that I used regularly. It was the perfect undercover hooligan bike. I would be doing 90 or 100 and see a highway patrolman (Florida) up ahead and slow down, they never pulled me over and this happened A LOT. I really enjoyed riding especially with a friend. If that bike had been able to have front pegs installed so I could unwind my legs I'd have probably kept it. I rode so high on Vicodin that I had to be careful to not crash. My legs would start killing me after an hour or so. So, I rode on painkillers, that is how much I liked to ride. If I was 50 pounds lighter, I'd buy another bike tomorrow if I could find a good riding group.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I finally remembered my bike. I rode a Suzuki B-King for about 5 years. I mean I rode it every single week. Best fun. I ran out of riding buddys and finally rode so much alone that I got tired of it and sold it off. After two years of riding every week alone it got quite boring, even with the huge power I had on tap that I used regularly. It was the perfect undercover hooligan bike. I would be doing 90 or 100 and see a highway patrolman (Florida) up ahead and slow down, they never pulled me over and this happened A LOT. I really enjoyed riding especially with a friend. If that bike had been able to have front pegs installed so I could unwind my legs I'd have probably kept it. I rode so high on Vicodin that I had to be careful to not crash. My legs would start killing me after an hour or so. So, I rode on painkillers, that is how much I liked to ride. If I was 50 pounds lighter, I'd buy another bike tomorrow if I could find a good riding group.
That is a lot of motorcycle to become bored of...lol. I found if I decelerated fast enough the coppers never bugged me. I don't know the sensitivity of the radar systems they use but perhaps they are not able to lock onto a decelerating target. If you are a little husky then you could buy a big Harley and just cruise in comfort. I've seen some pretty big doods on Harleys and they seem to ride just fine.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I ran out of riding buddys and finally rode so much alone that I got tired of it and sold it off.
Been there, over my near 6 decades of riding I've gone thru approx a new group of riding friends with each decade. As many young riders get older they buckle to the demands of the wife & kids life and drift off, but there's always been a new generation to replace them. Also whither cruiser or sport biker, there's always plenty of us old hard core riders around, you just may have to look a little harder, biker bars and dealer events are great places.
I would be doing 90 or 100 and see a highway patrolman (Florida) up ahead and slow down, they never pulled me over and this happened A LOT.
I've also experienced this a lot. I guess either the cop is a rider and understands the adrenaline rush of riding, or he thinks " the crazy as-hole is going to kill himself" and not bother to chase. Either way its a win-win. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also whither cruiser or sport biker, there's always plenty of us old hard core riders around, you just may have to look a little harder, biker bars and dealer events are great places.
Stripper bars are great for meeting Hell Angels...lol. When I lived in British Columbia which has the best stripper bars I have ever been to I would frequent the bars for a nice cool beverage and sit up front and sure enough a dozen or more Hells Angels would saunter in and surround me at the front row of the stage. I was a rough and tumble construction worker at the time and looked the part so they accepted me and treated me pretty good as a young 20-21 year old. Even bought me a beer once in awhile. I doubt they ride recreationally with average civilians though. Imagine a pint of beer for an average bar price, no cover charge and excellent food with between 1 and 6 strippers going all day long at about 10 or 20 minute intervals... That's a BC stripper bar. I've never seen anything like it in Canada or the USA. BC is the de facto best stripper pub place. :D

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Been there, over my near 6 decades of riding I've gone thru approx a new group of riding friends with each decade. As many young riders get older they buckle to the demands of the wife & kids life and drift off, but there's always been a new generation to replace them. Also whither cruiser or sport biker, there's always plenty of us old hard core riders around, you just may have to look a little harder, biker bars and dealer events are great places.

I've also experienced this a lot. I guess either the cop is a rider and understands the adrenaline rush of riding, or he thinks " the crazy as-hole is going to kill himself" and not bother to chase. Either way its a win-win. ;)
Sal, I forgot to add, there is no doctor I know of in Florida that will write a Vicodin scrip for motorcycle riding anymore. State has the Docs so scared of writing for ANY painkiller. If I mention the word Vicodin at a doctors office the doc usually turns white and stammers out, "I don't write for that". So, another thing stupid kids killed off by abusing. I think they should lock the kids up and throw away the key if they are so dumb they abuse drugs. Now people who actually need Vicodin (not me at the moment) can't get them. Again, the Government stepped in to help and have screwed it all up so bad it will take decades to unscrew. Oh well.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a nice vacation stop. ;)
This is a very well known strip bar that has been in Vancouver for a long time. No5 Orange it is called. The talent is primO top notch and the place is clean and well serviced by staff. There is no cover charge and the drink and food prices are great for well prepared pub fare. It's very popular at lunchtime for the business crowd and the rest of the day it's just people attending for snacks, brewskies and shows from 11am to 1am. I googled the subject a bit and apparently many of the Vancouver strip bars closed. The new generation is not attending the shows and the pubs closed as a result. The Drake in Vancouver was my all time favorite though. I've been there and out of the blue a half dozen gorgeous women saunter onto the stage and do their thang. It was a big place with 3 small 6 foot diameter stages with poles, with a few chairs at each and then the main stage is huge as it can fit some talent in numbers. No extra charge for sitting at any stage too. Sigh* I live in Alberta now and this place sucks for stripper bars. They call them gentlemen's' clubs and charge to get in, charge exorbitant prices for a coke or a beer and you must buy the talent a $15 coke if you want to keep viewing. I never go here because it's just a cash grab and even checking your coat is $30.00 here. Pffft*
No5-Orange-Home-Welcome-To-The-5-768x768.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sal, I forgot to add, there is no doctor I know of in Florida that will write a Vicodin scrip for motorcycle riding anymore. State has the Docs so scared of writing for ANY painkiller. If I mention the word Vicodin at a doctors office the doc usually turns white and stammers out, "I don't write for that". So, another thing stupid kids killed off by abusing. I think they should lock the kids up and throw away the key if they are so dumb they abuse drugs. Now people who actually need Vicodin (not me at the moment) can't get them. Again, the Government stepped in to help and have screwed it all up so bad it will take decades to unscrew. Oh well.
That's a fact. I'm living with a crippling level of spinal compression and arthritis and having a hell of a time getting the drugs that make life bearable day to day. Because a bunch of idiots are killing themself shooting heroin and abusing other opioids the government has the whole chain of meds fu--ed up. And truth be told, it's all just a big show. A decade back they had the meth crisis, before that it was the crack crisis, before that it was the cocaine crisis, diet pills, barbituates, back to heroin, etc; all running in a big circle. The government is always finding a new "crisis" to save us from, without understanding a rodents behind about the big picture. :mad:
You think they would have learned something from prohibition.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
That's a fact. I'm living with a crippling level of spinal compression and arthritis and having a hell of a time getting the drugs that make life bearable day to day. Because a bunch of idiots are killing themself shooting heroin and abusing other opioids the government has the whole chain of meds fu--ed up. And truth be told, it's all just a big show. A decade back they had the meth crisis, before that it was the crack crisis, before that it was the cocaine crisis, diet pills, barbituates, back to heroin, etc; all running in a big circle. The government is always finding a new "crisis" to save us from, without understanding a rodents behind about the big picture. :mad:
Never expect the government to learn anything. I had 20 years in Federal govt. I think I have PTSD from living daily around excessive stupidity!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am so grateful to receive prescriptions for 60mg codeine at 70 tabs each and 30mg/teaspoon liquid codeine syrup. For cough suppression. I have light to moderate asthma but when I get a lung infection like pertussis I can cough so hard that breaking a rib is a possibility. Without the codeine tablets it would be a horrible very painful ordeal. I don't get why I can get codeine potent enough to near 100% suppress coughing and others can't even get a prescription for pain relief for serious chronic pain. I admit I also use one codeine pill if I have extra for sleeping when I can't sleep and it works wonderfully for that. The only thing I dislike about opiates is the constipation for days resulting in some pretty serious backup. I learned to drink extra fluids, eat extra fiber and veggies and that alleviates the backup. I've never had a prescription for other pain relief or cough suppression and I don't ask for it unless it is a very serious cough so they (Dr) know that I'm not abusing it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The only thing I dislike about opiates is the constipation for days resulting in some pretty serious backup. I learned to drink extra fluids, eat extra fiber and veggies and that alleviates the backup.
I've been living on opiates for 10 years now. The best thing I found for the constipation is MiraLax powder and it's generic eq.
Totally tasteless, put the capfull in your morning coffee or whatever liquid drink each day.
Works miracles. ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seat belts and helmets are two different things as has been shown over and over at state hearings all over the US.
I am going to have to say that both are same argument: Of course, 'mandatory' seatbelts and helmets save lives (so does slower speeds)...
... but ...
Where does individual responsibility is trumped and we must all pop the spinach cans like PopEye... starting at a young age... because ... well... look at PopEye?
NOTE: This comes from a person that would not allow people to come in my car if they did not wear seatbelts before seatbelt laws (lost a lot few of friends because of that rule).

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am going to have to say that both are same argument: Of course, 'mandatory' seatbelts and helmets save lives (so does slower speeds)...
But there is also a major difference, as state hearings have agreed with in 31 of 50 states.
Helmets come with dangers all their own.
Let the riders decide. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But there is also a major difference, as state hearings have agreed with in 31 of 50 states.
Helmets come with dangers all their own.
Let the riders decide. ;)
I come from a 34,000 mile mountain enduro/dirt biking origin and hit the streets trying to do 3 point flat tracking slides on my first street bike till I figured out that keeping one's feet on the pegs is faster. So... I would be dead without a helmet. Dirt riding is always to be expecting a crash and they happen sometimes multiple times per day. When I hit the street I figured I would have this easily. But nope... It is difficult, requires skill and practice. I have had a full face motorcycle helmet with a big 1/8"+ deep slash/scar on the back from some metal part of a Nissan 260Z that rear ended me while I awaited a car turning left; I was unconscious when they came for me. I have broken 2 Bell bicycle helmets from in-line skating wipeouts (One wipeout was 4 hours in surgery stitching my face back together.) and consider myself to be lucky to be alive after the stuff I've done at speed on dirt and street motorcycles. I understand the loud pipes save lives mantra and the no helmets mantra too but I'm firmly on the ride with a helmet side. :D I won't ride with people that split lanes with me. Too dangerous in my opinion. I'm not a maniac but I've been known to put the hammer down and double and triple the signage/speed limits in corners and go for hours at a time out in mountain passes in the middle of nowhere. So I'm firmly in the helmet corner.

Top Bottom