• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Octave Music Don Grusin High Resolution Music Analysis (Video)

kongwee

Major Contributor
We need a member who are expert in PCM converter to debunk Miska measurements. Best using Miska approach to debunk himself.

Miska

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
SMSL M400 DAC, 1 kHz 44.1k PCM input:
SMSL_M400-1k-44k1-wide.png

You can nicely see how the noise shaper bump peaks at about 1.4 Mhz. And all the digital images of PCM at much higher level, first image at -65 dB.

Let's then run 0 - 22.05 kHz sweep through it:
SMSL_M400-sweep-44k1-wide.png

Oh yeah, nice series of images. Peaking at about -45 dB, giving reconstruction accuracy of about 7-bits.

Dogcoop

Yes, exactly, not about what I hear. Or what you hear.
One last attempt. And please answer with a direct reply and not some indecipherable mumbo jumbo.
Where are your RELEVANT measurements, test results, or peer reviewed papers?
I will ask once again (hoping for an actual answer): what problem is your software solving?

Miska

Audio Company
We need a member who are expert in PCM converter to debunk Miska measurements. Best using Miska approach to debunk himself.

People think that I'm somehow about one type of converters. But I was just showing how to improve R2R ladder PCM converter performance using DSP as well.

There are just not many PCM dacs out there. And same people on this forum who hate DSD, like to ridicule about PCM converters (R2R ladders) as well.

They love their $10 black box DAC chips so much, without thinking what happens inside. "Ignorance is bliss" seems to apply here, to quote certain movie.

Miska

Audio Company
Where are your RELEVANT measurements, test results, or peer reviewed papers?

I've posted quite a bunch of measurements and test results. If you think they are not relevant, it is your personal opinion.

I have no time nor interest in writing any papers.

Dogcoop

I've posted quite a bunch of measurements and test results. If you think they are not relevant, it is your personal opinion.

Please direct me to your test results. Thnx

Miska

Audio Company
@Miska is that worth paying 240 euro's for?
I am quite happy with PCM and can't hear the difference.

If you don't need any of the features, such as format conversions (PCM -> PCM, PCM -> SDM, SDM -> SDM, SDM -> PCM) upsampling, EQ, convolution engine, headphone cross-feed, multi-channel mix-down, etc. All that works for PCM and DSD without rate conversions to any intermediate rates or such. Then it is not for you and likely not worth paying. You know what is worth for paying for you, I don't.

Miska

Audio Company
Contradictory posts. Please resolve.

Post # 604:

Post # 620:

Thank you. Jim

I don't see contradiction. Why should I try to tell someone what they hear or don't? On this forum? That is all about measurement results?

Dogcoop

I would think that it would be advantageous to your “business” to prove to the public what a great improvement in their listening pleasure your software and the science behind it provides. A short paper defining exactly what your program does, that could be reviewed by experts in the field, would be beneficial to your bottom line.

Miska

Audio Company
I would think that it would be advantageous to your “business” to prove to the public what a great improvement in their listening pleasure your software and the science behind it provides. A short paper defining exactly what your program does, that could be reviewed by experts in the field, would be beneficial to your bottom line.

It is already explained on my web page.

Dogcoop

You need to Google around for that
My google machine must be broken. There was not one objective test result. A lot of links to audiophilestyle and similar subjective reviews, but not a single actual objective test result. Please direct me to the tests I missed.

Miska

Audio Company
My google machine must be broken. There was not one objective test result. A lot of links to audiophilestyle and similar subjective reviews, but not a single actual objective test result. Please direct me to the tests I missed.

I guess none of the measurement results I've posted on this thread count as such either.

But let's not spam this thread more about something that is not going anywhere.

Although it is kind of fun to go through these same arguments over and over again every two years or so. Been doing that for some 20 years already. :D So I'm kinda getting used to.

Last time end conclusion was that certain people decided that DSD was actually high rate 1-bit PCM. :D:D

When people run out of actual technical arguments, they begin to argue about semantics and terminology.

Last edited:

Dogcoop

I guess none of the measurement results I've posted on this thread count as such either
C’mon, throw me a bone and point me to just one objective test result of hqplayer. Please.
Spam?? What about obfuscatio? You are a master.
If you would just directly answer one of my questions, I would stop asking them.

Miska

Audio Company
C’mon, throw me a bone and point me to just one objective test result of hqplayer. Please.

Oh yeah, and no DSD involved.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For another data point, here's another PCM to DSD comparison from samples by Sound Liaison. Note that this is raw spectrum, before performing a match operation in DeltaWave.

DSD64(white) vs. PCM192(blue):
1647579595500.png

DSD128(white) vs. PCM192(blue):
1647578780917.png

DSD256(white) vs. PCM192(blue):
1647579313208.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
Miska has posted measurements on a few forums over the past many years.

Like he said, you need to look around.

Even various threads on ASR.

Join those threads and ask questions and others with the time can answer.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Except that all your beloved ADCs and DACs that give out and take in PCM do precisely that outrageous noise shaping in their internal DSP. And you pretend that it doesn't exist.

You better learn about modern converter architecture first.
Oh, I fully understand their architecture. Just because there is noise shaping in majority of ADCs does not mean at all that they equal DSD64 1-bit encoding. Easy to prove. Here is RME ADI-2 Pro FS being fed a 1 kHz tone at 96 kHz sampling:

RME ADI-2 Pro 96 kHz.png

Spectrum goes cleanly to nearly 50 kHz. We see the *start* of its noise shaping at around 30 kHz but rising just 10 dB by 50 kHz. Nothing remotely like the fiasco that DSD64 is. Here is the recording of the above as displayed with Musicscope:

Musicscope.png

Look at how squeaky clean it is above the audible band. Compare this again with the fiasco that DSD encoding from my video:

Octave Music High-res Download Review Don Crusin.png

Noise shaping starts at mere 24 kHz and peaks around 50 kHz.

It doesn't get more clear than this. You either don't understand this or are highly unethical, counting on us not knowing this technology. Neither plays well in my book. Keep this up and your time here will be come to an end very soon.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Miska has posted measurements on a few forums over the past many years.

Like he said, you need to look around.

Even various threads on ASR.

Join those threads and ask questions and others with the time can answer.
His audience must not have the most basic knowledge of signal processing/converters to let him get away with the nonsense he is posting here. That he is prolific is a given.
He is debunked left and right. But if you can't follow the argument, I can see you not getting that.

Top Bottom