• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm, thanks for another great review!

One quick question: Does the plastic remote come with DX3 pro also work with DX7s?

Also, are you planning to do subjective listening tests on it to see if there is any difference from the music representation of ESS chips?

thanks again!!

I have a feeling that this thread is going to be another very high-traffic thread! :D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So it has better IMD but shine somewhat away from 16bits linearity. No free lunch for us it seems. Perhaps it will be fixed with the DX5 should they decide to make one (given how excellent the RME was). Nevertheless really surprised that they offer a remote out of the box for the DX3Pro while the bigger sibling doesn't, probably a production delay issues.
Don't want to keep you busy, but perhaps a filter test would be great. Another test that would be nice to see is the APTX-HD bluetooth with the LG G7. Both support the codec, and this will be a good setup to see how close the bluetooth codec performance fares with wired connection (though I imagine this won't be easy).
I’d like like to see how the APTX-HD Bluetooth gets on too.

mikehoopes

For me, the obvious comparison is Modi 3/Magni 3. THD+n @ 300 Ohms, 123 mW: DX3 = 0.001%, M3 = ~0.03%.
For reference, Innerfidelity measured the Sennheiser HD 650 THD+n @ 90 dB (0.13 mW)/1 KHz >>0.1%.

1. At 123 mW, is the amp distortion an audible concern for these two combinations? [edit]: That's a ridiculously high output for the HD 650.
2. Do they audibly differentiate at that reasonable levels?
3. Does the DX3 have a preamp output?

If the answers to #2 and #3 are yes, then there may be a D10/Magni 3 combo available on eBay very soon.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, the obvious comparison is Modi 3/Magni 3. THD+n @ 300 Ohms, 123 mW: DX3 = 0.001%, M3 = ~0.03%.
For reference, Innerfidelity measured the Sennheiser HD 650 THD+n @ 90 dB (0.13 mW)/1 KHz >0.1%.

1. At 123 mW, is the amp distortion an audible concern for these two combinations?
2. Do they audibly differentiate at that level?
3. Does the DX3 have a preamp output?

If the answers to #2 and #3 are yes, then there may be a D10/Magni 3 combo available on eBay very soon.

I'm a bit cautious when interpreting Innerfidelity's 90dB THD+N measurements. Often, THD+N measures higher at 90dB than at 100dB, which indicates that the electronics - not the headphones - are likely to be a significant source of the distortion.

Anyway, in answer to your questions, I think it's extremely unlikely that either DAC will produce audible distortion, i.e. I doubt there's any audible difference between them.

The Magni 3 I'm not so sure about. 0.03% may be audible depending on the nature of the distortion. If audible, though, it's very unlikely to be objectionable.

0.03% is 70dB below the signal. So although probably audible under some circumstances, it's unlikely to be audible under normal listening conditions.

The DX3 Pro does have preamp (RCA) output, yeh.

scibry

Could you test with Apple as well, AAC format? Especial with an ALAC file.

So excited for this unit.... Hope it ships soon!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would it be possible please to perform your old J test on this DAC to give us a reference point for the new test?
Sure, here is the old (blue) versus new (red):

1540491278154.png

The main difference is that the embedded 250 Hz was dithered before (blue). As such, it did not excite the digital circuits as much.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm you be measuring a production unit once they are available? This could be a hand picked review unit for all we know.
If someone buys one to send me, sure.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I forget who asked for jitter on other inputs. Here is USB (red) versus S/PDIF (blue):

1540491981596.png

Looks to be worse than USB although at -115 dB for the spurs, not much of an audible concern.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you post a photo of back panel?
Here you go:

Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amplifier Back Panel.png.jpg

Notice the full regulatory certification of FCC and CE -- something that is usually absent from many desktop products.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I’d like like to see how the APTX-HD Bluetooth gets on too.
The documentation for DX3Pro states that it supports: AAC/SBC/APTX/APTXLL/APTXHD

However, I am unable to select anything other than SBC or Aptx on my Samsung S8+. All other selections are ignored. Wonder if that is an issue with Samsung or DX3Pro.

Anywhere, here are the dashboards for each:

Aptx:

Topping DX3Pro Bluetooth Aptx Measurement.png

SBC:

Topping DX3Pro Bluetooth SBC Measurement.png

So pretty massive hits on a signal that should be very easy to compress.

scibry

Yes, I forgot to mention that this also has Bluetooth input. Will see if I can test it a bit.

Now I am going to sleep! :)

I thought I already asked this,but does it have any support for Apple's AAC format? And you test that with an ALAC

Last edited:

Nietsnut

Hi, thank you so much for testing the DX3Pro.

I am really looking forward to this dac as it has an volume adjustable preamp. As far as I know there is no other dac/amp combo with remote in this small size that can be paired with a separate (t-)amp. I am using the Topping MX3 right now but it doesn't have a pre out, only a sub out. The DX3Pro seems perfect for use with the Topping PA3 and the latter offers more a lot more power then the MX3 does.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I thought I already asked this,but does it have any support for Apple's AAC format?
AAC does not belong to Apple. Apple has simply chosen to use it for its lossy format but AAC is an international standard and patents are owned by other companies.

As to your question, I did try but my Samsung phone refuses to select AAC as a format. Will have to test with my other bluetooth devices to see if this is a limitation in my phone or DX3Pro.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi, thank you so much for testing the DX3Pro.

I am really looking forward to this dac as it has an volume adjustable preamp. As far as I know there is no other dac/amp combo with remote in this small size that can be paired with a separate (t-)amp. I am using the Topping MX3 right now but it doesn't have a pre out, only a sub out. The DX3Pro seems perfect for use with the Topping PA3 and the latter offers more a lot more power then the MX3 does.
My pleasure and welcome aboard. Yes, Topping has really nailed the functionality and required performance/packaging here. So much so that I am itching to use it for everyday DAC once testing is finished.

Top Bottom