• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico M9

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, for a new speaker freshly installed in the room, without weeks/months/years of positioning and acoustics optimization, it was already excellent to begin with. Not sure why the owner decided to take the measurements down, but I respect his decision.
Too many arm-chair experts and not enough fucks to give i guess.

noiseangel

Have you seen the Topping PA5 thread? Its a 350 bucks amp that measures fantastic, almost SOTA like, but some are trying to tear that thing apart. Thats a 350 bucks amp mind you. Now imagine a set of speakers costing nearly a million dollars. Expect to hear things like "Oh a pair of Genes costing 1/20th of the price would outperform it..." uh-huh...

In reality, no one here can afford these M9s and from what I saw, they measure freaking great that not many speakers here can replicate, especially in a room as big as this.
I bet you the SC-IV measures and sounds freaking awesome as well.The trouble is how many people here have a room big enough for any of these speakers to work to their full potential.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Nothing about the measurements was average, it’s either delusional or ignorant to think so.

It was probably the best room measured on this forum.
The room had some smart ‘scatter plate’ diffraction but as the measurements ( briefly) showed they did nothing ( as you would expect) for the low bass peaks/cancellations.
The shop owner, I presume it is a store, could experiment with REWs room simulation feature.
Ultimately they are large traditional full-range designs which are going to cause issues in any room, unless it is purpose designed ie a room within a room with huge amounts of passive absorption.
Speakers should be anechoically flat but once placed in a room…
Keith

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We fairly know that the one null we saw was room related, anything above that was freaking great and rarely do we see such a thing on sich a HUGE scale. Yeah a 8361 can do the same thing but one can only dream of the scale these M9s produce. Magico arent noobs. Expensive? Totally out of my reach until the day I die but Im happy someone somewhere is experiencing hi fidelity at its finest.

fredstuhl

Nothing can fix that except a huge amount of tuned membrane absorbers. And then you have to make the compromise between diffusers and absorbers and i think the diffusers are the better compromise in a room of that size.
What about multi subwoofer setup?

Eetu

Forum Donor
Yep, 4 subs placed in corners, mid-wall or even randomly would smoothen out the bass response considerably. Then again, if you buy 1 mil speakers you maybe want to avoid doing the sub crawl :D

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We fairly know that the one null we saw was room related, anything above that was freaking great and rarely do we see such a thing on sich a HUGE scale. Yeah a 8361 can do the same thing but one can only dream of the scale these M9s produce. Magico arent noobs. Expensive? Totally out of my reach until the day I die but Im happy someone somewhere is experiencing hi fidelity at its finest.
What do you mean by ‘scale’ the height of the speaker?
Fidelity won’t be at its finest not in that room, without as has already been stated multi additional subs or massive passive absorption, nothing to do with Magico in particular just traditional design/physics.
Keith

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fidelity won’t be at its finest not in that room, without as has already been stated multi additional subs or massive passive absorption, nothing to do with Magico in particular just traditional design/physics.
Keith
The point is that if people are saying the measurements are bad then there is no good measuring room in the world outside of anechoic ones.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Purpose built studios sound pretty good, room within a room designs but you have to start off with a really huge space rarely practical domestically.
Better to choose speakers that have been designed to interact less with the room.
Keith

MarkWinston

Keith
Scale as in 'wall of sound'. Scale as it covers that huge room with ease. Scale as how well it will replicate the size of the actual singer/instrument in the track. Ive noticed this with larger speakers, especially in comparison with smaller ones. Measurable? Not sure if any measurements indicate scale but scale is undeniable. Same reason when Amir said his Salon 2s project a larger image over the smaller 8361.

fredstuhl

Scale as in 'wall of sound'. Scale as it covers that huge room with ease. Scale as how well it will replicate the size of the actual singer/instrument in the track. Ive noticed this with larger speakers, especially in comparison with smaller ones. Measurable? Not sure if any measurements indicate scale but scale is undeniable. Same reason when Amir said his Salon 2s project a larger image over the smaller 8361.
I doubt that you are referring to the same reasons here.

In my experience, the sense of „scale“ with large speakers can be a psychological effect. You can have large sounding speakers that are physically big or relatively compact, it‘s all about bass extension and dispersion.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Magico speakers measure pretty good, here's the A5 in Stereophile https://www.stereophile.com/content/magico-a5-loudspeaker-measurements

If they've got the anechoic right that's all you can reasonably expect, it's up to the end-user to sort his room out and position them properly.

Wanting them to be bad just because they cost crazy money is a being a bit petty.

MarkWinston

I doubt that you are referring to the same reasons here.

In my experience, the sense of „scale“ with large speakers can be a psychological effect. You can have large sounding speakers that are physically big or relatively compact, it‘s all about bass extension and dispersion.

So you think you could replicate the same scale as the M9s in the same room with way smaller speakers that has SOTA bass extension and dispersion? There is a always a limit with 'smaller' speakers like the 8361a, and that limit can and will be easily surpassed with larger speakers. Its just physics.

MarkWinston

Wanting them to be bad just because they cost crazy money is a being a bit petty.

Happens a lot around here. Everything that is above average priced is snake oil or high end bs. This place is starting to sound like a bunch of people that cant afford good high end stuff while using data to justify why their R3s are better than anything else. Not all, but enough comments from some people to give that impression.

fredstuhl

Happens a lot around here. Everything that is above average priced is snake oil or high end bs. This place is starting to sound like a bunch of people that cant afford good high end stuff while using data to justify why their R3s are better than anything else. Not all, but enough comments from some people to give that impression.
I‘d go with - this is a place where we try to evaluate things by objectively measurable criteria, avoiding subjective/ psychological bias as much as possible.

MarkWinston

I‘d go with - this is a place where we try to evaluate things by objectively measurable criteria, avoiding subjective/ psychological bias as much as possible.
The intention of this place, yeah. With so many members of all sorts making up this forum, its making this place look the way I just described it. Ill say this, an in room response of the M9 is as good as we will ever get, dont count on a spin of the M9s anytime soon. And the in room data we got was as good as anything else Ive ever seen bar room related null, and some people are so ready to tear these speakers apart. Pettiness at its best. And pure biasness at the other end of the spectrum.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where do you read that someone wants Magicos to be bad? Or where anyone says they are worse or as good as Genelecs? I don't read anything like that anywhere here. Maybe I blanked it out, but I really don't know what posts are meant here.
If you interpret attacks and assertions into posts that aren't really there, you don't have to be surprised if you see "this place" as negative.
I think more negativity has been read here than has been written. Of course, when questions are perceived as heresy, this happens easily.

Edit: Perhaps it is a problem of intercultural understanding or translation of non-native speakers. Maybe sarcasm was understood where there was none....?

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You have to separate the speakers anechoic measurements from its in room measurements, Magico speakers do measure well, but those original plots show exactly what happens when you place a traditional full-range design into a largely untreated room.
A few contemporary loudspeakers are now being designed to ameliorate the effects of the room as much as possible, the M9 isn’t one of them.
Keith

Top Bottom