• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 380 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

AudiOhm

I don’t know weather it is or not. While I appreciate all the information presented out here I’m just asking if there are any known electrocutions.
My assumption would be, if they were electrocuted in the home with this amp and hospitalized it may have been reported, if not hospitalized I am sure they are too embarrassed to report it.

More than likely 99% of the owners have no idea how this amp is fused.

Ohms

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t know weather it is or not. While I appreciate all the information presented out here I’m just asking if there are any known electrocutions.
400 deaths and 4000 injuries annually from electrocution (USA alone). Some of those will be due to faulty equipment.

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
All the transformers were bigger and more expenisive (James, Electro Print, Tango) so I know that more wattage output the bigger the OPT, but I want to hear how his are ok to use and them being only15 watts.

They aren't! Bob Carver does not possess secret forbidden knowledge to make 15W transformers function as if they are 75W transformers, it's physics, it will not work. As was said before, it is an indefensible position, most likely the reason he is not defending it.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
400 deaths and 4000 injuries annually from electrocution (USA alone). Some of those will be due to faulty equipment.
Some people seem to be incapable of intellectually comprehending that lessons learned from the knowledge of physics plus experiences with various electronic devices can be logically applied to other electronic devices.

I, for one, am happy that my tube amplifier with it's 230v mains voltage and 450v plate voltage is certified to meet EU safety standards - even though I live in Panama.

D

Deleted member 21219

There are signs at every refueling station to not smoke while refueling. There are also emergency cut-offs with appropriate signage. So ..... do you know of any fires or explosions? If the answer is, "No!", would you care to take a lit Zippo and visit the nearest gas station?

Somehow, I doubt that you would. I may be wrong, though.

You have also stated several times that you "don't know" this or you "don't know" that. Please educate yourself to the extent that you are familiar with the basics and fundamentals of electrical safety and electronic functions. It doesn't take very much. It would greatly improve your ability to converse here without any semblance of trolling or bad-faith interaction. Jim

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So does anyone know of someone actually being electrocuted by this thing?
Electrocutions leading to death (non suicide) by consumer products are extremely rare.

1644176929031.png

and trending down (2004-2013) source (https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/Electrocution-Report-2004-to-2013.pdf)

1644176961818.png

thanks to... safety codes and standards.

There are more electrocutions in the workplace, obviously, which leads to the number @tonycollinet quoted above.

One thing to take into account is the risk of fire of electrical origin, which is around 300x to 400x more frequent than the risk of direct death by electrocution - should you die into a fire caused by a device shorting while you sleep, your ICD codes will be "fire" (https://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/V00-Y99/X00-X08)

This risk has also been going down (thanks to safety measures) but climbed back when our modern batteries started to be everywhere (which led to new safety measures).

Whether we know, or don't know, or whether there actually was someone killed by that amplifier (extremely unlikely) is irrelevant. What is relevant is that ignoring safety measures is either illegal (depending on your location) or highly unethical.

DFW

Forum Donor
I want to be very clear, I am not defending this product and no offense to all the EE’s out here. But if there is the possibility of being electrocuted because of the way it’s designed don’t you think they’d recall it or do whatever they could to limit the liability? The liability from this sort of thing is unlimited. Might even be criminal if someone were killed and the company knew it had faulty wiring.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Do you know any Olympic athletes?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The liability from this sort of thing is unlimited.
Liability is whatever can be extracted from a shell corporation. These guys may be incompetent at producing amplifiers, but I'll guess they're very smart on how to shield their assets.

DFW

Forum Donor
Liability is whatever can be extracted from a shell corporation. These guys may be incompetent at producing amplifiers, but I'll guess they're very smart on how to shield their assets.
Yeah, but killing someone could take it to another level. They’ve been making amplifiers long enough to know how to not electrocute someone.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Lol, I got the name wrong? That’s even funnier

That was from that very special representative here to wave his arms mightily...

Looks like it was directed at another...member. ;)

Top Bottom